Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-01-10-ECW-Guilty As Charged] Shane Douglas vs Taz

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. This match finally happened! I thought it would be like Chinese Democracy or something. Fireworks start going off in the middle of the match, the arena darkens and Sabu returns from his injury. He still has a neckbrace but goes after both guys. They both end up going through tables. Shane tries to pin Taz after Sabu leaves but Taz kicks out. Shane signals for the Triple Threat, but Francine has no idea what he's doing since there is no more Triple Threat. Tammy Sytch shows up in street clothes to talk some sense into Shane, but ends up in a catfight with Francine for some reason. Francine comes dangerously close to falling completely out of her dress. Candido ends up punching Douglas and abandoning him. Taz locks on the Tazmission and gets the win. Overbooked to hell and there's no better way to kill a submission than waiting too long to submit to it.

• 1 month later...

I really think that now we saw this terrible conclusion that this feud is the definitive just because something is drawn out doesn't mean it is better argument. This had no heat whatsoever and so many moving parts that it was impossible to care about Taz's big moment of winning the ECW championship.

• 9 months later...

Crowd was awful for this and it's only somewhat saved with Styles' commentary. Very traditional start, headlock takeovers, etc (how this fits Taz and his year long quest to get at Douglas is beyond me) and after a suplex or two by Taz with Shane bailing, they take to the crowd for a long extended brawling segment that is honestly one of the worst I've ever seen. The crowd, equipped with their Bass Pro Shop hats and disposable Kodak cameras are just mobbing both guys and security. They go all the way to the top for nothing really, other than to both blade I guess, and then they work their way back down. Shane has control now, which really kills off the crowd and Taz goes through a table in the corner. Sabu comes out for his revenge and destroys both guys. The kickout by Taz was the first time the crowd really reacted, outside of yelling at Francine. The Candido stuff makes Taz look even worse but he finally gets Douglas to pass out and win the belt. The entire thing is under ** in my opinion and really disappointing.

• 1 year later...

Telling stories, baby! Who the fuck wants to watch two guys fighting to determine who's better when we can have RUN-INS! And BOOKING! And SWERVES! And all kinds of stuff to focus on what a creative genius the guy in the back is rather than what great athletes the guys in the ring are! Sabu runs in, and while his new music is cool, why is it playing all this time when we already have a guy on the roster whose gimmick is that his music plays during his matches? Taz gets the worst of it and Douglas goes for the cover. Styles: "This one is over!" Well, that's proof that it isn't--yet another possibly genuinely dramatic false finish, killed by the World's Greatest Announcer. Then Douglas gets up and makes the Triple Threat sign in a spot that no one gets. Styles: "The Triple Threat is no more!"

Then Sunny is in. Then Candido is in. Then we get a not-really-a-catfight. Styles: "Candido is here to save Douglas' title!" THUS RUINING THE SURPRISE WHEN CANDIDO TURNS ON HIM. Good Lord, how can a guy like Paul E. who proclaims that he doesn't insult his fans' intelligence continue to think that we're not going to figure this pattern OUT after five goddamn years? And why all the shock when you JUST SAID the Triple Threat was no more before Candido even showed up? Did you get your pre-written talking points mixed up, Joey? Taz wins the ECW title for the first time and it's a complete afterthought. ECW's most evil, nastiest heel goes down heroically in refusing to tap, passing out instead. What a big pile of shit.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-01-10-ECW-Guilty As Charged] Shane Douglas vs Taz