Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-02-05-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo & Negro Casas vs Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr

Loss

• 2 months later...

This got better as it went along, and I love Negro Casas as more of a babyface. Really great fire and energy. Santo took more of a backseat in this, but I don't want to be too critical of that, because there may have been some storyline reason why that happened. Scorpio was probably good, but something was off about him. He's not a very smooth wrestler. This was a good effort but I didn't love it. I was hoping to love it. Hopefully lucha libre from 1999 starts connecting with me more as the year goes on.

• 3 weeks later...

You are right about Scorpio Jr. being "off." He worked so well as part of the team with Salvaje because Bestia could wrestle/brawl/etc. but Scorpio Jr. brought that intangible, "I don't like this guy and won't cheer for anything he does" that wrestling has always needed (and really needs today).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I thought I liked this a lot better than Loss but we are pretty close on ratings as while I don't think this was a great match, it did fall into the very good range for me. I also thought it was really polished in the wake of seeing some of the slop going on in 1996 lucha so far although that year was aspiring for a higher level of difficulty here. Casas as an upper energy tecnico remains true to his overall character while being fun within the crowd. Santo didn't do anything outer-worldly here but was right there for all his big spots and him them as good as he usually does. I liked the nut shot sequence in the second fall and the final fall with Perro Agayuo getting interjected and having a go at especially Bestia making them get DQ'd. Was this Perro's return to EMLL? ***1/2

• 7 months later...

The two famous rivals were enjoying a rare outbreak of peace in 1999. The quality of the action was above average, yet below the standard I'd have expected given the participants. The tercera was cut short as well when the rudos got involved in a brawl with Perro Aguayo, who happened to be seated in the front row. Lame booking as they cop out of a finish.

• 1 year later...

Santo and Casas is a Dream Team, but something about it feels...wrong, somehow. Like they should never be on the same side. That said, I liked this a bit--I'm with Chad in that I didn't think this was *great*, but I did enjoy it. Casas still has such velocity to everything he does--he actually manages to make his Casita/la majistral look like a high-impact move here. They also avoided the cliched double- or triple-pin finishes to end each fall. That said, the ending doesn't really make sense even though the brawl with Perro is a cool wild scene. Scorpio slaps him, sets off the incident, and for some reason Santo and Casas are declared the winners. Overall a fun effort, made almost entirely by the technicos.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-02-05-CMLL] El Hijo del Santo & Negro Casas vs Bestia Salvaje & Scorpio Jr