Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-02-21-WCW-Superbrawl IX] Scott Hall & Kevin Nash vs Konnan & Rey Misterio Jr (Rey's Mask vs Liz's Hair)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes. Luger is at ringside in his cast. Hall and Nash actually give Rey some offense, and believe it or not, their bumps look excellent. Konnan and Rey have some cool double team moves and they end up really getting the crowd into this. Luger ends up interfering and attacking Konnan, leaving Rey alone with both guys. Rey has Nash pinned, but Liz distracts the ref long enough for Hall to do the Razor's Edge and roll Nash on top. I hate the finish, but they were giving and Nash is even selling Rey's attack big time in the post-match. Rey is forced to unmask after the match in one of the worst booking decisions WCW ever made, and think about the ground that covers. Rey unmasks and ... whoa, he's Bryan Alvarez!

• 1 month later...

Well to start with the good, Rey and Konan's comeback here is pretty great. Good offense from Rey and Nash and Hall bump and sell for him. Rey gets a visual pinfall and the Razor's Edge on Rey looks brutal.

But then you get one of the absolutely stupidest things in wrestling history. It's hard to even imagine anyone could believe that taking Rey's mask off is a good move. In fact, I CAN'T believe that anyone could think taking Rey's mask off is a good move, surely this was an attempt to cut him down to size or something?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Lex Luger is at ringside dressed as Nailz. They have to tease us one last time with this great Misterio hot tag. The hilarious thing about this is that I'm *sure* Nash & Hall thought they were doing Rey a gigantic favor by doing this and that this was really a good move for him. I believe they were totally sincere--they wouldn't have bumped around for him like that otherwise. That just makes this decision even worse. Heenan choosing to make jokes about Rey's looks doesn't do him any favors, either. Hard for us to take the NWO seriously as a threat if the announcers don't.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-02-21-WCW-Superbrawl IX] Scott Hall & Kevin Nash vs Konnan & Rey Misterio Jr (Rey's Mask vs Liz's Hair)