Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-04-08-AJPW-Championship Carnival] Vader vs Kenta Kobashi

Loss

• 2 months later...

Kobashi stays focused on Vader’s leg and gets a lot of offense. He also gives those fired up comebacks that I think a match like this needs. On top of that, this clip is nice and compact. The match did go to a 30-minute draw, but we only got the last 10 minutes or so.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Yeah, this was enjoyable enough, though not so enjoyable that the first 20 minutes seem like a lost classic or anything. Just a long, drawn-out finishing stretch. One minor thing I haven't noticed until now is that I'm not sure Vader is built for a match with a bunch of false finishes, because it sort of strains credulity that a man of his girth and power would really be unable to hold a guy down. There are a few instances where Kobashi nicely slips out from a cover but others where it's patently obvious that Vader has to just let him out because that's not the ending.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-04-08-AJPW-Championship Carnival] Vader vs Kenta Kobashi