Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-05-04-Osaka Pro] Super Delphin & Masaru Seno & Masato Yakushiji vs Violencia & Black Buffalo & Dick Togo

Loss

• 2 months later...

This was an awesome match. I didn’t want it to end. My first thoughts were that it wasn’t at the level of the Michinoku Pro matches from 1996-1997, but it was a nice attempt, and it wasn’t too far behind. But I don’t think that comparison is really fitting or fair. This match starts as an MPro-style match (at least after the chairshot crowd brawling), but it quickly settles into something very different. It becomes more of an aggressive match and slows down. They isolate Seno and work him over for a while, and Togo is such a mean-spirited asskicker, slapping Seno around and gouging his face until he bleeds. I love the crowd rallying behind Seno in an American babyface crowd reaction way. After Delphin gets the hot tag, they all start going for nearfalls which is the weakest part of this match, even though it’s still good stuff. Togo catches Yakushiji in an incredible high-elevation Diamond Cutter. Hooking the tights, manager throwing powder, face in peril … I like these American elements. That chairshot at the end was crazy.

• 2 months later...

Great match, my favorite out of all the MPro/Toryumon/Osaka matches so far. Really liked the layout of this match, big dive spot to start, brawling on the outside, back and forth action in the ring, great FIP on Seno including Togo dragging him around the arena to beat him up and draw blood, then a great comeback and a home stretch. Last few minutes are great, I totally bought the pedigree-senton to Seno as the finish and was so glad when Yakushiji broke it up. Ending was great too. The American elements really gave this a distinct feel while still bringing the MPro-style goods.

• 2 months later...

Loved this match. Dick Togo is such a joy to watch in these types of 6 man matches. He was the glue that held this together.It seems like his short WWF run taught him how to work even better than he was in Michinoku pro. This match had it all, brawling, comedy, high flying etc. I've always been a fan of Yakushiji. I liked his save after he slipped off the ropes and hit a spin kick. Is that the same Violencia that feuded and teamed with Pierroth back in 00? That's a random guy to have in a Osaka match.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad this has got some praise as this was one I watched before the set and really dug. My thoughts here reechoed what I saw the first time.

So this match has some stuff going for it. 1. It is Osaka Pro's first show at Korakuen Hall and only their 3-4 show overall. 2. I would imagine that Osaka Pro needs to be represented on the yearbook and this gives a good sampling of guys you are familiar with in Togo and Delphin and more obscure names. The match also follows an intriguing structure of a hot start leading to a brutalizing beatdown of Seno that leaves him bloodied up. Him getting his redemption and revenge at the finish was a great feel good- moment. One botch from Yakushiji got some laughs but he recovered quickly. Togo of course was pretty boss overall in the match. I think this a good representation of the style as a whole with some wrinkles that the Osaka Pro promotion wanted to implement. ****

• 2 years later...

Well, no complaints about my first real glimpse at Osaka Pro so far, as this is hard-hitting and intense, possibly moreso than your average MPro or Toryumon 6-man tag, if only because of Togo's presence pushing and elevating everyone around him. Six guys beat the shit out of each other for 10-12 minutes, but with a nicely defined face-heel structure and a feelgood, payback spot-oriented finish.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-05-04-Osaka Pro] Super Delphin & Masaru Seno & Masato Yakushiji vs Violencia & Black Buffalo & Dick Togo