Pro Wrestling Only

Brian Pillman

Grimmas

The more I go through the Yearbooks the more I realize how underrated and great Pillman was. He was super versatile, but I don't here anyone saying that about him. Look at his resume. Great underdog babyface working from underneath in his early WCW run, capable of having a great crusierweight spotfest (with Liger in 92), could have vicious hate filled brawls (with Windham in 91), great as a slimy, cheating, stooging heel in tags and singles. I think you could easily make a case for him as a top 10 American worker for the first half of the 1990s.

I agree with that though I never found him as compelling as a heel. He might have been the best U.S. worker of 1991.

Going through WCW TV, Pillman looked like one of the most underrated guy ever. From 89 to 95, he was easily a top 10 US worker on average. The injuries really destroyed him, it's sad to watch him after that point.

As far as character goes, the Loose Cannon stuff was a bit too forced, although it had its moments, but slimy working heel Pillman in 92/93 was excellent.

• 7 years later...

Pillman has always felt like someone I should like more than I actually do. On paper he's a great candidate just missing the longevity. Great as a babyface or heel, good in singles or tags. Really good in intense brawls. The Halloween Havoc 1989 match with Luger might be my favorite match of Pillman's career but something like vs Mero is such an achievement it might be the thing I'd point to first when trying to make a case for him. Still feels like a top 100 Could Have Been. 

10 hours ago, elliott said:

Pillman has always felt like someone I should like more than I actually do. On paper he's a great candidate just missing the longevity. Great as a babyface or heel, good in singles or tags. Really good in intense brawls. The Halloween Havoc 1989 match with Luger might be my favorite match of Pillman's career but something like vs Mero is such an achievement it might be the thing I'd point to first when trying to make a case for him. Still feels like a top 100 Could Have Been. 

I agree, if WCW knew how to book him he would be on my list but considering how his career went, Brian Pillman is exactly what you've said.

For me it's his injuries & then death that keeps him off my list more so than just WCW booking. They definitely fucked him around, but they also gave him a lot of high profile opportunities that he wouldn't have gotten had he been in the WWF. The feud with Luger including a big PPV match just a few months into his run, a TV match with Flair, a PPV showcase match with Liger, blood feud with Windham. WCW never went as far with him as they should have of course, but without WCW I'm not sure where he's getting a similar opportunity (Puerto Rico is our coolest option). In the end I don't think his peak is quite high enough to overcome his too short career.