Pro Wrestling Only

Place to Be Podcast Thread

Bigelow34

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin and Scott are joined by Chad Campbell as they again head back into the archives to tie up all of the loose ends by doling out PPV Report Cards. Picking back up in 1998, the boys rank the PPVs by creative year and also list out the top five PPV matches of each creative year as well through WrestleMania 22. Do you agree with their choices? What did they miss? Join in and share your thoughts as well on Facebook, Twitter or PWO!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott, Justin & Chad as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

Really enjoyed the PPV ranking as this was very much in my era for being all over WWF/E. I did though empathise with your pain when it comes down to the years of 15 PPV's and where your brain loses track of "Hmm, is No Mercy 2004 better than Unforgive 2004...".

I think mostly I agreed with a lot of your choices but thought Scott's love for Austin/Taker from SSlam 98 was a bit nostalgia driven. I love that PPV, it's one of my all time favourites, mainly because of the way it flows and the variety in the card, but while the build up to the main event was great, because of Austin's concussion amongst other things the match falls a bit flat.

One thing I was thinking about in the era of the shows all blending into one, especially now in the LED Board age, but do you think that the lack of different sets etc has anything to do with not being able to differentiate? For example, people love the Over The Edge 98 main event, but I think a lot of people also remember it fondly for the old cars. Backlash PPV's always seemed to be memorable, in part I think because of the giant swinging metal hooks! I don't know, just a thought I had. You could tell when WCW was on the decline to me when all their PPV's started looking exactly the same in 99/00/01, compared to the crazy fake beach sets and Spring Stampede having random stage coaches and hay bales. Bring back the different sets!

Thanks for listening and dropping some comments here! I agree with the sets and unique look of the shows helping them stand out. So many these days just blend into the next and that is a big reason why.

Agreed on SS98, that is one of his faves and it's hard to shake him off it.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin & Scott reset the timeline of the Vintage Vault by heading back January 21, 1985 to take a look at WWF’s Madison Square Garden house show!

The boys discuss some WWF history, the evolution of Madison Square Garden, the MSG debut of Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart’s potential as a singles star, Don Muraco’s new association with Mr. Fuji, sepsis, the debut of Rita Marie, the epic Andre the Giant vs. Heenan Family feud, the stardom of Madonna, the ballsy George Wells, the waning moments of Roddy Piper’s feud with Jimmy Snuka, the pathetic showing by the Spoiler, curfews, the chemistry between Greg Valentine and Tito Santana and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott and Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-427-wwf-house-show-madison-square-garden-12185/

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin & Scott head to a cold night in New York City, February 18, 1985, to revisit the infamous War to Settle the Score!

The boys discuss the steadiness of the Moondogs, the variances of jobber life, the prospects of Hillbilly Jim as a star, the big Women's Title change, Cyndi Lauper's wrestling successes, David Sammartino's ass, Russia, Bob Orton's arm, Wham!, the disappointing showdown between Paul Orndorff and Tony Atlas, the fun Tag Team match, Don Muraco's martial arts, the rise of MTV, the expectations and plans for Roddy Piper, the parade of celebrity interviews and much more, including end of show awards!

So fire up this action-packed episode and join Scott and Justin as it’s time for another edition of the PTB Podcast!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-428-the-war-to-settle-the-score-21885/

The one hour MTV special for War to Settle the Score (pre-show, match, and post-show) is one of the greatest things I've ever seen, ha. Alan Hunter says this match has social, political, and artistic implications far above any match in wrestling history. Gene says Piper has gone too far criticizing a particular form of music (Rock n' Roll), and Alan says "do you mean he hit a woman?" - Gene says "Yeah that's what I meant." Dee Snider is hilarious trying to cut promos before and after the match. You get Andy Warhol talking about his love of wrestling - very interesting you guys pointing out he just wandered into the room and cut an unscripted promo. Does anyone else ever think Albano looks like he just ate spaghetti noodles and forgot to wipe his face off? Maybe that's just me. I love they say he was treated with some sort of electric current therapy to turn him back babyface. They brought an element of realism to this with the presentation. Piper is off the charts as a heel - all-time great (maybe greatest) promos. I wonder what would have happened if they put the belt on him? Part of me thinks they would have drawn even more with him on top and Hogan chasing. Hogan's entrance to "Eye of the Tiger" is one of my favorites of his career. I think it's Gene that says if Hogan loses, people won't want to listen to music for years haha. They also have this dinner discussion with music critics discussing the match, and they are talking with their mouth full and purposely using large vocabulary words to sound impressive. I agree with you, the feeling of chaos of this is much higher than that of Mania. I LOVE the brawl, and the entire segment that happens post-match. Piper and Hogan were really taking it to each other. I think I could go has high as *** just because of the intensity - it's fantastic. The whole thing is great, and so entertaining. I think Joe Piscipo was just as surprised as you guys that Billy Squier is there. He starts laughing when Gene says he's about to talk to him. The entire MTV special is on YouTube. I recommend it to anyone that has never seen it. Loved the discussion - great show guys!

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin & Scott celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, WWF style with a look at the 3/17/85 Madison Square Garden house show!
The boys discuss Rocky Johnson’s charisma, the awful showing of Barry O, Jim Neidhart’s singles run, King Kong Bundy’s MSG debut, an epic Piper’s Pit, Mr. T’s big moment, the blandness and ass of David Sammartino, REO Speedwagon, the escalation of John Studd vs. Andre the Giant, the lack of in ring skill of Jesse Ventura, Ricky Steamboat’s MSG return, another Greg Valentine vs. Tito Santana classic and much more, including end of show awards!

Really enjoyed the Bundy squash and Andre. Santana and Valentine deliver the goods again! **** Really wish we could've seen them face at Mania... Mainly because I think it would shine a bigger spotlight on the feud today for more casual fans. I think this is probably the best WWE lumberjack match. Or, I couldn't think of one off of the top of my head anyway.

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin & Scott are ready to kick off the WWF PPV era by returning to Madison Square Garden for a refreshed look at WrestleMania I!

The boys discuss how watching all of the build helped how this show holds up, Jesse Ventura announcing the show instead of Gene Okerlund, why Buddy Rose was put under a mask, another King Kong Bundy squash, the booking of Matt Borne, if Bruno Sammartino should have wrestled along side his son, the decision to have Junkyard Dog challenge for the IC Title instead of Tito Santana, Buca di Beppo, the big Tag Team Title change, Phil Collins, Police Academy, the history and big blowoff of the Bodyslam Challenge, the whereabouts of Ken Patera, the women being in the semi main event slot, how well the Main Event was executed and much more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-430-vintage-vault-refresh-wrestlemania-i/

Ho, ho ho! In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, it is time for our sixth annual Christmas Extravaganza! This time, join Scott, Justin and a host of PTBN staff members as they tell the heartwarming and entertaining story of the birth of Place to Be Nation and its potential downfall at the hands of two of its own members. Holiday cheer! Mischief! Turmoil! Subterfuge! Kevin Kelly! Santa Claus! Love! Hate! Check it out!

So grab some cookies and milk and settle in by the fire because it is time for another holiday edition of the PTB Podcast!

I totally agree - Watching all these shows chronologically really gave this show a special feel. I had a blast watching this and listening to your show after. This was the first wrestling VHS I ever rented (around 4 years old I believe). It was Hogan and T on the cover that sold me, but I ended up watching Steamboat vs. Borne over and over instead. I still think that match is fun, but the main event is definitely the match of the night. I really loved it. The heat is off the charts, and I'm probably closer to Scott with the rating ( around ***1/2). I also enjoyed Tito/Rose and the Andre/Studd slam challenge. Like you guys, I've watched this multiple times. This is definitely the most I've ever been into it, and I have new found respect for it. Piper was obviously the best heel in the WWF at the time, but I would also think the most popular in the US at this time? I think one of the reasons Gene was taken out of the booth, besides what you mentioned, was that Vince wanted the show to have a different feel (uniqueness) - since Gene was normally the MSG guy at the time - it made sense to add something special and different with Ventura. Also, on your Rose discussion, I got the feeling they had plans to unmask Buddy Rose in the future. In his promo he mentioned that we would find out who is in the future - but, who knows... (guess that didn't happen)...

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin & Scott are deep in the fallout from WrestleMania as they take a look at the 4/22/85 Madison Square Garden house show!
The boys discuss the appearance of Cobra, the lack of fanfare for Tatsumi Fujinami, another King Kong Bundy squash, the debut of the British Bulldogs, the continuing climb up the ladder by Ricky Steamboat, Magnificent Muraco's big win, We Are the World, Angela Lansbury, a hidden gem between Iron Sheik and Mike Rotundo, the star potential of Barry Windham, the elevation of Brutus Beefcake, another edition in the Santana vs. Valentine feud and much more, including end of show awards!

In this episode of the Place to Be Podcast, Justin, Scott and Ryan Everett are headed to late night as they dive into the premier episode of Saturday Night's Main Event!

The boys discuss the advent and presentation of Saturday Night's Main Event, Vince McMahon in the booth, the big face turn of George Steele, the US Express picking up a key win, a great installment of Piper's Pit, using Bob Orton in the WWF Title match, the Golden State Warriors and pop culture, Rappin' a/k/a Breakdance 3: Electric Boogalee, how terrible Fabulous Moolah was in the ring at this point, leveraging celebrities for this show, Junkyard Dog and his mama, Oprah Winfrey: Wrestling Announcer, the Mother's Day celebration and much more, including end of show awards!

http://placetobenation.com/place-to-be-podcast-episode-433-saturday-nights-main-event-i-51185/