Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-09-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan & Sting & Goldberg vs Kevin Nash & Sid & Rick Steiner

Loss

• 1 month later...

Hulk Hogan dons the red and yellow once again. Tony Schiavone does an admirable job selling this as a classic moment, but it rings hollow, and Nitro suddenly feels like it did in 1995 again. It does get the big one-time pop though, and the match is incredibly heated. I don't think Hogan had enough of a redemption storyline to make this stick the way it should have, as they could have built this into something really huge under the right circumstances. This booking amuses me because Hogan went back to the gimmick that necessitated his heel turn in the first place while Nash has become a pretty generic heel - it's like the NWO never happened. Hindsight is 20/20 on this, but you kinda wish they didn't waste Goldberg and Sid squaring off for the first time in this match. This match is laid out pretty well, but it's also wrestled at a snail's pace, which makes everyone involved look really old. And that was the biggest problem they had competing with the WWF.

• 2 months later...

I LOVED this match. Sure the pace wasn't fast but I don't think it would have benefitted from a faster one. This was worked like a huge blockbuster show down and they gave all the face's spots plenty of time to soak up the incredible crowd reacting. All three faces get their turn to run some big offense on the heels and it's all great. There's a brief FIP on Sting before a ref bump, which I thought was going to result in a dumb clusterfuck but instead the heels quickly bring in a chair but the faces turn it around on them and Sting takes it with a Scorpion Deathlock on Nash. Incredibly entertaining, insane crowd reaction and some great big spots. Goldberg's spear on Rick looked especially great.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

This was certainly a dip back in nostalgia but it was a ton of fun for the time period and again a big step up from the utter shit we have seen a couple of months prior. I remember buying Road WIld and being fairly into the product overall until Russo/Bischoff turned me off essentially for good. Hogan/Goldberg/Sting feel like a powerhouse trio and it works well to tease the big matches at the PPV. **3/4

• 1 year later...

It's hard *not* to get into this because the Boise crowd is so electric. I agree that Sid coming in against Goldberg with it not meaning much of anything was curious, but for a few minutes WCW looked like a major league company again. And a clean (sort of) finish to boot. WCW's problems are just as pervasive as ever but at least the past few weeks, ever since Flair was ousted from the Presidency, have shown *some* sense of direction, even if it's a less than ideal one at times.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-09-WCW-Nitro] Hulk Hogan & Sting & Goldberg vs Kevin Nash & Sid & Rick Steiner