Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-09-WWF-Raw] Jesse Ventura, HHH and Shawn Michaels

Loss

• 1 month later...

Lawler introduces Jesse Ventura as his guest. I like Jesse reminding everyone that he refereed at the first Summerslam. Jesse takes a lot of ROUGH digs at Hogan. I'm sure Vince and Russo were freaking out about Jesse's use of the word "wrestler" so frequently. Jesse talks during HHH's entrance music, not understanding the new WWE etiquette at all. HHH comes out and getting in Jesse's face, threatening to kick his ass tonight. Shawn Michaels quickly interrupts him, and reminds HHH that he's the one who brought him into this world. They tease that Shawn and HHH are about to fight, but Jesse separates them. Why does the WWF Commissioner not come to every show?

• 2 months later...

I'm liking Triple H's promo work here, by playing up being brash and disrespectful he's giving himself a certain character/edge that makes it feel like he belongs in the main event whereas he always felt out of place and a step below when he mixed it up with the top guys before.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Beloved ex-commentator Jesse Ventura returns to the world of w******** and cuts an amazing promo. Who else had the balls to do flaunt the secret rulebook quite like that? He'd be right up there with the best promo guys if he were a w******* in this era. He was a real Navy Seal and a pro w******* bah Gawd, and isn't going to take any crap from anyone. HHH comes out and looks like a main event playa because he's opposing The Body. That's until HBK turns up and starts running him down. Michaels as Commish was really detrimental to whatever feud he got involved in.

• 4 months later...

Ventura comes out and has some words that feel like some more shots to Hogan from over the years. HHH interrupts and I think does a good job of not being upstaged in the moment. HBK comes back again and I agree that his cocky persona doesn't really fit this role well at all. Kudos to HHH for being effective currently jumping into the main event scene.

• 1 year later...

Jesse puts himself over as only he can do. Triple H comes out and has a pretty hot confrontation, since Jesse isn't a guy who's going to be phased by any promo tricks Triple H tries to play on him and won't meekly back down from him. Then Shawn has to show up, though he doesn't bring the segment down too much and the crowd is hot to see him and HHH go at it. HBK instead makes a triple threat between HHH, Undertaker, and Austin, which makes enough sense after what happened last week.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-09-WWF-Raw] Jesse Ventura, HHH and Shawn Michaels