Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-10-NJPW-G1 Climax] Shinya Hashimoto vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan

Loss

• 1 month later...

Hashimoto did a really great job putting over Tenzan here in a very satisfying match with his great selling of Tenzan’s knee attack and a really strong comeback that got the people in the building excited. While Hashimoto won, he was wounded and gave Tenzan a chance to shine. Really good.

• 2 months later...

I liked this match a lot, it's better than quite a few of the ****+ rated G1 matches of the recent two years. Which isn't a knock on those matches at all. Tenzan looks really strong going toe to toe with Hashimoto. I liked Tenzan's knee work a lot, especially him coming off the ropes like he was going for another stike but then going low for a chop block to the front of Hash's knee.

• 1 month later...

This was the strongest match from the '99 G1. Both men brought lots of intensity and emotion from the start, shouting at each other to bring it on. It was very well structured with clear shifts in momentum. An emphasis on strikes helped play to Tenzan's strengths, and obviously his opponent wasn't too shabby in that department either. At one point Hash received a vicious chop block. Although he'd won the opening day match, the leg injury would trouble him throughout the rest of the tournament. It's always wonderful to see how injuries play out from day to day in the G1. All too often the events of one day don't have as much of a bearing on future events as they should. Although he'd lost Tenzan was put over here, and he went on to have a decent campaign.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Really good match here. Tenzan works hashimoto over in an effective way and Hash shows great fighting spirit with his comeback without looking goofy or contrived. Tenzan has all the tools to be an effective main event player for years to come based on his performance in these types of matches. ***1/2

• 1 year later...

The G-1 setting and the story of Hash's bad knee set me up for a bit of a double-swerve, as it looked to me like a prime set-up for Tenzan to get an upset win, but Hash makes a stirring comeback to take the victory by the skin of his teeth. I'm not really quite sold on Tenzan as a true top singles star yet because Hash is so masterful, but this was a terrific war of attrition.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-10-NJPW-G1 Climax] Shinya Hashimoto vs Hiroyoshi Tenzan