Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-11-NJPW-G1 Climax] Shinya Hashimoto vs Masa Chono

Loss

• 1 month later...

This was a methodical, hard-hitting match with great struggle to apply holds and some really stiff shots. I think it’s the best match of the G1. It’s not as exciting as Muto-Nagata got at times, but I think it’s the better match of the two. Chono does some good heel work once he takes over. They did a nice job selling the impact of the match with a lot of drawn out selling between moves at the end. I can see why Dave went higher on Muto-Nagata based on TV JIP stuff though, as this didn’t build to quite as exciting a conclusion. But watched in full, it’s definitely the better match, with a semi-surprising finish to boot!

• 2 months later...

Great match that kept getting better as it went on. I really liked how Chono went after Hashimoto's knee for a while and it didn't seem like a huge deal with Hash soon getting back into control and getting Chono in a bad position with repeated DDTs, but then when he goes for the brainbuster his knee gives out giving Chono the chance to go at it. The STFs are great and Hash's struggles in them feel really grueling. Also big heat for Chono not breaking them. Hash gets some big kicks in at the end and looks like he can turn it around but Chono quickly locks in another STF to win.

• 1 month later...

This would be their 4th and final G1 meeting as it was Hash's final tournament. There was some nice rivalry psychology throughout. A slow burner for sure, quite lengthy with solid work. Not always the most dynamic. In the second half Hash had his bad knee worked over. The best moment came when his leg buckled during an attempted brainbuster. Chono's leg work was unimaginative. There was no doubting who the far superior worker was at this point in time. I preferred the other two G1 matches on the set although this was pretty good as well. Even after getting the eventual submission Chono kept trying to damage the leg in post match badd blood.

• 2 months later...

I liked this more than the Muto match but not as much as the other Hash match. This had a lot of hate which surprised me. I thought Muto/Hash/Chono were all friends but I guess they feuded too? Anyways, the STF by Chono where he didn't let go was a nice touch. Thought for sure he would get dq'd. Finish was surprising but heated as was the post match. Good stuff.

• 8 months later...

This should have been the G-1 final. The work with the STF was so gripping and dramatic. Hashimoto is shooting up my ranks with each performance of his. Shockingly, Chono has been on a hot streak to between his 93, 96 and now this stuff. The work here felt really compelling and two guys that didn't want to lose at all costs. ****1/4

• 1 year later...

I liked the Tenzan match the best but maybe that was based on expectations. Here the bum knee of Hash finally comes back to haunt him, as Chono methodically executes his strategy in setting up for the STF. This was as slow-paced as the Muto-Nagata match but the stakes felt higher because it always felt like the holds were going somewhere and serving a purpose.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-11-NJPW-G1 Climax] Shinya Hashimoto vs Masa Chono