Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-08-22-WWF-Summerslam] Test vs Shane McMahon

Loss

• 1 month later...

I really, really hate Shane McMahon matches because they present Shane as a non-wrestler, then he comes in and goes toe-to-toe with a guy that they were grooming for a top position at the time. So it makes wrestling look like something anyone off the street can do. I prefer the Austin-Vince method where they didn't let Vince get any offense on Austin at all and maybe the match wasn't technically as good, but it made a lot more sense. This is one of those times where I think doing a worse match would have accomplished a lot more in getting Test over, unless the goal was more to get Shane over, which is entirely possible. I do love Patterson and Brisco as babyfaces though.

• 3 months later...

First minute or so was kind of shockingly good with Test starting it off with a really nasty looking running slam on the outside and then pummeling Shane. For a bells and whistles wrestler v. non wrestler match this was pretty fun and had the big high spot. Decent enough.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Test is so jagged and graceless in his movement. I can't imagine many opponents wanting to work with the guy. He doesn't look safe. Despite his lack of ring time Shane actually had way more natural wrestling talent. I would call the match overbooked nonsense, but it needed all of that overbooking. Shane takes a bump for the highlight reels.

• 4 months later...

I get what Loss was saying as coming out of this, the main takeaway was of Shane being so courageous. Still, for a gimmick match with a lot of bells and whistles, this was effective to me. The elbow through the table still looks great and dare i say seeing stephanie be an innocent babyface backstage feels endearing now watching it back. I don't think this is the classic match so people potray it as, but it was a ton of fun while it lasted. ***1/4

• 1 year later...

I dunno...other than the opening spear, Shane really doesn't get in any offense that isn't set up for him by the Posse mauling Test. Shane is put over a bit, but Test still overcomes the odd and wins a pretty fun and well-laid-out match. Considering the experience level involved of almost everyone--including the Posse--this could have been a disaster. It was far from that.

• GSR changed the title to [1999-08-22-WWF-Summerslam] Test vs Shane McMahon