Pro Wrestling Only

Top 100

Coffey

Inspired by this thread. I was disappointed with where a lot of the wrestlers were. Namely people like HBK, Angle being so high.

I was curious if maybe we could get something like this together? Maybe get people to make some lists ranking some wrestlers, give points for being listed and extra points for #1 votes or something?

I think it'd be fun. I really liked the set-up that the guy in the thread did though. When doing the list, he provided a picture a brief description and a list of some matches they are famous for.

I'm not really sure. I mean, if we were to just do it on workrate, some huge names that had a lot of impact, such as Hogan, would be missing.

What do you suggest? I figured we could do, like, a point scale for each wrestler that we list? Maybe have, like, categories for impact, talking, selling, bumping, drawing, etc.?

I'm just confident that we could come up with a lot better of a list here, no matter what we base it on. Most of the posters here have a broader range of footage that they've seen and a better grasp of the history of the business. I mean, Jumbo was #72 on their list...below Bam Bam, Chyna & The Sandman.

Maybe we can do it sort of like how we did the nominations for the tournaments that we used to run? Get everyone to throw names of people into a hat and then we'll do cuts until we get down to a final list of 100...then we all put that list in order and use a point system to determine a final list?

The only real problem with this list... as with any list that names wrestlers is that the Top 5 are usually never in doubt. If we mixed in Japanese wrestlers, would they get a fair shake by those who don't like Japanese wrestling or have never been exposed to it? What about the countless luchadores that I have heard great things about but have never seen footage of? We can do it for fun but it would probably end up as another list in a long line of them filled with asterisks and inaccuracies. :( Sorry to be such a bummer.

I did this for another board a few months ago. It is fun but making the list is a lot harder than it looks. After you're past the first 25 you'll want to pull you hair out trying to figure out who you want, where to put them and then having to trash half the list because you forgot someone.

The only real problem with this list... as with any list that names wrestlers is that the Top 5 are usually never in doubt. If we mixed in Japanese wrestlers, would they get a fair shake by those who don't like Japanese wrestling or have never been exposed to it? What about the countless luchadores that I have heard great things about but have never seen footage of? We can do it for fun but it would probably end up as another list in a long line of them filled with asterisks and inaccuracies. :( Sorry to be such a bummer.

I dunno. Seems like we're a pretty knowledgable group. That's why I proposed the ranking list. If we have several people submitting names, we won't have to worry about forgetting people or what have you. If there's someone that's good that the majority of the posters don't really know, then there's a chance they won't make it on to the final list.

Then, when we get the final list, everyone puts it in order. Then we do a point system with each persons list to figure out the final list.

I think it'd work.

GH, that would be the whole purpose of the categories. We don't have to worry about Japanese wrestlers getting slighted if we don't do a countdown to include them. Just a thought. Then again, there's probably no one style of wrestling that everyone knows enough about to go full force with this. Maybe, maybe not. Sure, we could do WWE, but how many people feel like they've seen enough Bruno Sammartino matches to evaluate him in comparison with Hart, Hogan, etc?

GH, that would be the whole purpose of the categories. We don't have to worry about Japanese wrestlers getting slighted if we don't do a countdown to include them. Just a thought. Then again, there's probably no one style of wrestling that everyone knows enough about to go full force with this. Maybe, maybe not. Sure, we could do WWE, but how many people feel like they've seen enough Bruno Sammartino matches to evaluate him in comparison with Hart, Hogan, etc?

Hmm, good point. I think universally, WWF is pretty well known. We could do, like, Wrestlemania 3 - present? Of course, then we'll see Hogan, Rock, Austin, Foley & Hart in the top slots most likely. Actually, it'd probably be pretty tough to get fifty out of that. We'd have like Demolition Smash at #87.

Guest Alfdogg

Hmm, good point. I think universally, WWF is pretty well known. We could do, like, Wrestlemania 3 - present? Of course, then we'll see Hogan, Rock, Austin, Foley & Hart in the top slots most likely. Actually, it'd probably be pretty tough to get fifty out of that. We'd have like Demolition Smash at #87.

We could do WWF and WCW.

Guest Alfdogg

Sounds good to me.

I don't think we should focus quite as much on drawing as far as being an actual category...I mean, obviously use it for a tiebreaking situation if a matchup such as, say, Kevin Nash and Hulk Hogan comes up (I'm just using that as an example), but there will probably be quite a few guys on this list who were never really put in a position to draw.

The reason we usually focus on things like quality of work is not because we think it's "all that matters", but rather because it's more subjective and makes for a more interesting discussion. If we based it on drawing power, we know Austin, Hogan and Rock are going to be in the top three spots and it's a list of hard facts rather than something requiring at least some level of thought.

I don't like making an arbitrary distinction on the year. A top 100 of the last 16-17 years doesn't sound like a particularly interesting list. If you make a cut-off point, it has to be a distinctive event, and there needs to be a valid reason. Something that changed wrestling.

Ok, what do you see as the last big show of the initial Hogan era? Or, the last peak performance of Flair as world champ? Or something else.

I don't think you can set the line there at all, quite honestly. If you want to hold yourself to the modern era, the only sensible place you can make the distinction is 1982-85 (either Vince Jr. buying the company, Starrcade, or Wrestlemania). Otherwise I think it is entirely too random and arbitrary.