Pro Wrestling Only

[1999-11-07-ECW-November to Remember] Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

They are really aiming to present Mike Awesome as the most athletic big man in wrestling. This is probably the worst match I've seen between these two. I'm basing that entirely on how much it grabbed me, as it's probably not measurably better or worse than any of their other matches. But it resonated with me less than some of their other matches. I don't think it was too short, but it does feel abridged. I remember their New Years Eve match on TNN being my favorite, so we'll see if that holds up.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

ECW World Heavyweight Champion Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka - ECW November 2 Remember 1999

ECW presentation and commentary is insufferable. Total ripoff of the garbage Russo was spewing in WCW. Fuck the term "powers that be"

I thought match was really well-segmented. Each section had its purpose. There was no real selling or storytelling but the spots were fun and hit cleanly. Tanaka started off in control using chair. Nice Suplex by Awesome and some really well Awesome dives by Awesome. Don't hit Tanaka in the head with chairs it is how to power him up. Tanaka hits the Roaring Elbow into chair into the face that just seems like it would hurt your elbow so now we get the Tanaka finisher stretch tornado DDT on chairs. The crowd leads Tanaka by chanting one more time. Never repeat the move brutha. Awesome reverses so Tanaka ends up in chairs. Now it is working around table on outside. Thought this was the weakest version of that spot. Awesome's ass takes brunt of it and actually cuts himself so maybe the most painful. Then Tanaka gets a super plea through a table. One more round of Tanaka finishers. Awesome hits a wicked head drop German that just powers him up of course hey he's consistent! Awesome frog splash and wicked top rope Awesomebomb!

Spots were Awesome! Very well-paced and efficient. Right on same level as Heat Wave 98. ***1/2

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1999-11-07-ECW-November to Remember] Mike Awesome vs Masato Tanaka