Pro Wrestling Only

Wildside Discussion

KrisZ

So I've moved RAW to my secondary TV due to being well RAW and I've started watching Wildside TV on my Roku on my main TV and for those of you that heard us talk about Wildside on Exile #3 this was one of the best episodes of TV they did at this early stage of their run in 2001.

God, I had forgotten how good Onyx was. It's insane to think about the buzz over Uhaa getting signed to the NXT deal when there was a guy doing the exact same thing 14 years ago. But better.

Also unconscionable that TNA would give Justice the job of being "shitty ersatz Mankind" when he was already awesome as a taller and weirdly effeminate version of Rhyno that could cut actual promos.

Give me a quick summary of the show. Is there a Shank promo?

No Shank sadly but this was the TV before Freedom Fight 01 with a great rundown of the shit that happened previously plus great promos from everyone and a extremely fun Air Paris/Onyx/AJ Styles vs. Suicidal Tendencies (Jason Cross/John Phoenix/Adam Jacobs) match

Give me a quick summary of the show. Is there a Shank promo?

No Shank sadly but this was the TV before Freedom Fight 01 with a great rundown of the shit that happened previously plus great promos from everyone and a extremely fun Air Paris/Onyx/AJ Styles vs. Suicidal Tendencies (Jason Cross/John Phoenix/Adam Jacobs) match

I'm not going to lie... I was disappointed I didn't see Mike Muir's name.

#96 had TNT vs. Delicious Dreams (Lance Dreamer & Jacey North), Otto Schwanz vs. Dynamite Rob Williams, & Adam Jacobs vs. Jimmy Rave in a damn good match

#97 had a great Jeff G. & Jacobs promo, Caprice & Sweet Dreams singing O'Jays, Caprice Coleman vs. Lazz in a Caprice showcase, Lost Boyz/Rick Michaels vs. BLACKOUT/David Young in a wild match, Onyx/Styles vs. Jacobs/Justice in a short angle match.

#98 had Rave vs. Lance Dreamer, NWA Elite destroying Bill Behrens, Blackout vs. Lost Boyz vs. TNT in a fun match, and Kohl Brothers vs. Lost Boyz

So I've moved RAW to my secondary TV due to being well RAW and I've started watching Wildside TV on my Roku on my main TV and for those of you that heard us talk about Wildside on Exile #3 this was one of the best episodes of TV they did at this early stage of their run in 2001.

Wait what channel is Wildside TV on for Roku? Or are you watching Youtube on your Roku

#96 had TNT vs. Delicious Dreams (Lance Dreamer & Jacey North), Otto Schwanz vs. Dynamite Rob Williams, & Adam Jacobs vs. Jimmy Rave in a damn good match

#97 had a great Jeff G. & Jacobs promo, Caprice & Sweet Dreams singing O'Jays, Caprice Coleman vs. Lazz in a Caprice showcase, Lost Boyz/Rick Michaels vs. BLACKOUT/David Young in a wild match, Onyx/Styles vs. Jacobs/Justice in a short angle match.

#98 had Rave vs. Lance Dreamer, NWA Elite destroying Bill Behrens, Blackout vs. Lost Boyz vs. TNT in a fun match, and Kohl Brothers vs. Lost Boyz

Needs more Shank and Iceberg

Wait what channel is Wildside TV on for Roku? Or are you watching Youtube on your Roku

YouTube on Roku

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Had gotten stuck on #102 (the Cross/Justice-Styles/Williams tag that gets re-aired in full). The Blackout-Tank/Trash match is a ridiculous brawl, and I loved the Gangstas ripoff angle of them trying to roadhaul Tank. The Lost Boyz-TNT spotfest from #103 is classic early indies stuff. The Ferrara/Penzer stuff is kind of dumb, but it also means promos from Behrens and Dan Wilson and I fully approve of those.

I had the good fortune of hanging out at Wildside around 02-04, when I was driving various wrestlers down there to work. Heck, I even got to "work" there once, as a substitute ring announcer when half the crew was off doing the Ted Petty tournament for Ian (technically twice, but it's a stretch to count the time I was "lighting crew technician" aka the guy who flips the ramp lights on and off during the entrances). That promotion really was something special; hell, it was nigh-legendary on the Nashville indy scene, spoken of as a magical utopia where people actually worked hard and didn't lean on tired old Memphis shtick. You could tell there was an unusual feel of camaraderie here, something sadly lacking in so many clique-based backstabby indy shows. Even though the building itself was a splintery disaster (an old converted schoolhouse of all things, complete with plywood-walled bathrooms and VERY shaky carpentry in many places) the action and atmosphere inside that building was unlike any I've seen anywhere else in the South. From the inexplicably noisy "ropes" to the equally inexplicable picture in the locker room bathroom of Ricky Morton saying "That's a fucking mark finish, you fucking mark!" it was truly one of a kind.

Was I the only one who kept up with Wildside (and even Anarchy) for a decent period of time just through Larry Goodman write ups?

Nope. Larry's awesome, probably the best unpaid amateur reporter I've ever known.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't figure out if I liked the Cross-Styles TV taping match more than their Second Anniversary match. The latter was probably the absolute best "mirror match" that I've ever seen since it actually worked within the "Role Model"/"New Role Model" story. But Goddamn did that TV match have just straight up nuke-throwing.

Caprice-Mamaluke was an awesome match though I had no doubts of that. Caprice was so great at that point (still love him, of course). How many guys from that era seem more "15 years ahead of their time" than he did in terms of being able to reach and succeed in the NXT holy Mecca?

It was David Young as the fake Scottie Wrenn that Michaels pinned to win the title, right?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...