Pro Wrestling Only

John Cena - Turn Of The Century

Fantastic

It is true he puts his fans above all else, but again, it really feels like he does it because they drive HIM (which goes back to it being all about himself). It isn't that he is selfishly and purposefully heelishly vacuuming up the support of his fans to motivate him, but it is a nice added perk for him and he knows it. Hustle, Loyalty and Respect is his credo...as is Never Give Up. He uses those things in a rather self-centered way. It isn't ever that he wants to pass those things on to other wrestlers. He doesn't care about them. He is a living cartoon...an Aesop's Fable come to life for the fans...all for his own benefit. You aren't wrong in what you are saying but I don't think placing an utmost premium on the fans' desires and having his own desires are mutually exclusive. The fans' desires feed in his own. He wants to be the living superhero in his own fantasy. And you can't be one without the world putting you up on a pedestal. This is part of why he would never turn heel (at least so far). It doesn't get him what he wants. People assume to truly get what you want in your own career and to be the man, you have to step over the broken bodies that lay in your path...but that isn't where Cena wants to go. He has always been a champion. He has always been the man. His desire is to be the SUPERHERO. It is truly a noble ambition and that is why he is the franchise babyface ace...but at the heart of it, deeply tucked away somewhere in his core...he's a selfish bastard who thrives on the attention he gets and will "inadvertently" step over people to get there. He doesn't want to admit to the fans he can be the heel. In that process he is actively trolling people...as if he is above it and above our base desires for him. Pretty smart fella if you ask me and probably one of the most interesting characters ever in any storytelling medium if you think about it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah no I wasn't arguing against you. If anything I was just arguing with myself as I thought about it more and more.

I always find it funny that Cena's character is seen by so many as so one-dimensional and cartoony, when to me he has one of the most profoundly complex and rich characters I've seen in wrestling. I can (and do) literally write pages and pages on his motivations and character development and storyline progression after every significant match he has these days. It's crazy how deep the mine is.