Pro Wrestling Only

Eddie Guerrero

goodhelmet

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Crucifixio Jones

I've been away since Thursday night, trying to enjoy the Veteran's Day weekend, I get home just now and I see an IM from Bruiser telling me that Eddy's gone. I cursed aloud. Stunned is an understatement. The only thing I've read about it thus far has been this thread. I'm just really shocked and really sad for his family and friends. Wrestling lost an icon and a really genuinely good guy in Guerrero. Rest now, amigo, rest.

To say the least, Eddie was my favorite wrestler in the ring to watch. While my friend Blake totally idolized Benoit, I idolized Eddie. Eddie had just enough of the flash to engage people, but could go straight in a match. Eddie had the perfect maneurisms and smirks, the greatest facials, awesome promos, coudl play comedy or go intense. I ordered WrestleMania XX just because he was going into the match as champ; I had no expectations of Benoit winning. I wanted to be Eddie Guerrero-esque as a wrestler. And now, nothing; no more Gringos Locos, no more rudo Eddy, no more low rider Eddy. Today sucks.

This is absolutely heart breaking news. Reading how Eddy died while brushing his teeth brought a tear to my eye this morning. This news hurts.

Just, fuck...

Thank you for the memories Eddy Guerrero. You will be missed.

From TNAwrestling.com:

TNA Mourns The Passing Of Eddie Guerrero

November 13th, 2005 12:14

TNA JOINS THE WRESTLING WORLD IN MOURNING THE PASSING OF EDDIE GUERRERO

On Sunday morning, TNA joined the wrestling world in learning of the unfortunate and untimely passing of Eddie Guerrero.

The mood backstage in Orlando is solemn, as many TNA staff and stars were close with Eddie and worked with him throughout his career.

Everyone in TNA will keep Eddie and his family in our thoughts and prayers in the days and weeks to come as we say goodbye to a friend...

In a business as scummy as wrestling can be at times, it's nice to see sometimes it can take a backseat to saying farewell to a true great.

Guest EastCoastJ

Did anyone else find Bret Hart to be really obnoxious tonight? It might have been the fact that with Eddie Guerrero passing earlier today everything else seems trivial, but he was incredibly short with Billy Graham when the two were on together when Graham was showering him with praise, and he put himself over more strongly in 90 minutes of interview time than I have ever heard anyone do. I would have liked to have heard much more about Eddie and much less about how great Hart considers himself to be.

A few moments I agree with you like when he said he never had a bad match. However, most fo the time, I agreed with him. Plus, Hart has always been consistent and honest in his interviews. It's refreshing to hear someone stay consistent.

On the other hand, yes, I wish there was more discussion on Eddie.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

I had the CJ response, all you can do is start cussing up a storm. Im actually finding this out right here, right now.

This may seem kinda silly. But the end of his carrer was kindve nice though.

This ones more indepth from Online Onslaught

He had more or less turned face. He was driving his low riders, main eventing the last PPV he was in. Being fun eddy all and all. A nice way to remember him really.

Guest Dangerous A

I can't really add anything that hasn't been said either here, TSM, or other boards I frequent. I've gone about my day as I had planned. Went to the sports bar to watch my football game. Went to a friend's house to watch Genesis. About every 15-20 minutes, I think of Eddie being gone. It's just crazy. My friends and I (NoCalMike, Ced, and Darthtiki of TSM) all marked out at any and all references to Eddie during the TNA Genesis broadcast. You just have to respect that man if you liked or love pro wrestling. Simple as that.

RIP, Eddie.

I'll probably get dogpiled by the Bret Fan Club again, but this kinda showed how self-centered Bret is. He may not have been close with Eddie but you'd think he of all people would know what it's like to lose a relative at a young age.

It just seemed like he was all "Yeah, that sucks about Eddie, and boy that Shawn was a jerk to me in 1997".

What's funny is people tell HHH to get over things from 8 years ago...

I haven't really watched wrestling or the WWE for a quite a while now. I think that if I was, I'd actually cry. When I just headed over to WWE.com just to check who was in the RAW vs. SmackDown! matches and it shows that Eddy has gone I didn't say anything for a few minutes. Jesus christ, why did the lord take my favourite wrestler away. They guy cleans up his life and then it's taken away from him. It's as though he himself was cheated. To say I'm gonna miss Eddy is an understatement. Easily the best professional wrestler I've ever seen and enjoyed watching the most.

Did anyone see the press conference when the reporter asked Vince if Eddie's family would get any sort of pension? It look like he almost shit his pants, and all he could do was stammer something about them getting royalties forever.

I'm sure Vicki will be able to send all 3 daughters to college based on DVD sales.

Guest EastCoastJ

Did anyone see the press conference when the reporter asked Vince if Eddie's family would get any sort of pension? It look like he almost shit his pants, and all he could do was stammer something about them getting royalties forever.

I'm sure Vicki will be able to send all 3 daughters to college based on DVD sales.

Yeah, I thought that was a little questionable too. If guys like Greg Valentine who appeared on six or seven Wrestlemania's are selling away rights to royalties forever for a $10,000 legends contract, I can't imagine the Guerrero family will be retiring on the royalties anytime soon.

On the other hand though, what company that has employed someone for five years would offer a pension, let alone pay to put somone through rehab and rehire them after severe substance abuse problems.

The only thing that really irritated me about Vince in the press conference was his typical carny line about how the person who was deceased would have "wanted the show to go on". Maybe he would have, but it seems like it is speaking for the dead to quiet any opinions that the show should be postponed.

Guest Alfdogg

Never thought when I went on Tuesday that I was about to be live for Eddie Guerrero's last match, though I guess that goes without saying.

R.I.P.

Is it possible to get a transcript of what Bret said?

I'll probably get dogpiled by the Bret Fan Club again, but this kinda showed how self-centered Bret is. He may not have been close with Eddie but you'd think he of all people would know what it's like to lose a relative at a young age.

It just seemed like he was all "Yeah, that sucks about Eddie, and boy that Shawn was a jerk to me in 1997".

What's funny is people tell HHH to get over things from 8 years ago...

This is kind of a bullshit line of thought because Bret was only responding to the questions and topics that Dave and Brian were throwing out there. I mean, it was Dave who decided he should take the time to read an entire chapter out of Shawn's book. The entire reason Bret was on there was to promote the DVD. If Dave felt that Eddie's death was more important (and it is) then he should have cancelled Bretand had 2 hours of Eddie memories.

I'm on my lunch break, trying in vain to get through my work day, and it's still hard.

I saw the news at 5pm yesterday, said "Holy shit" and just sat there stunned. And when my fiancee asked me what was wrong, I couldn't speak. I just pointed at the headline.

She told me, "I can't believe you're taking this like you lost a family member." But you know, in a lot of ways, I feel like I have.

Rest in peace, Eddy, and godspeed.

Guest The Man in Blak

There's a bit of significance to all this.  One defense Vince McMahon and company always held was that virtually all of the deaths in wrestling involved wrestlers not in WWE.  Now for the first time since 1997, we have the passing of an active wrestler on the payroll (not counting Owen, which occured under different circumstances).  Not sure if it will have any impact, but it might be worth keeping in mind.

Given that the WWE was willing to rehire Eddie and help him through rehab, I think they're probably clear on that front.

I really don't know what to say. In a business where the insane workload and physical demands have made death a sad status quo, Eddie's passing still resonates as a surprise, as something unjust. There have been many parallels made to Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, and Hawk, but the most heartbreaking parallel is simply that Eddie Guerrero isn't with us anymore. He will be missed.

R.I.P.

Guest The Man in Blak

I wouldn't be surprised if Meltz, Alvarez, and Hart had decided to steer clear of a really emotionally-loaded topic that was so fresh.

Well, there's that, as well as the fact that they've got to honor the commitment to their guest (if they're not going to cancel).