Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving NWA classics, I think Wahoo is my new favorite wrestler, that match with The Spoiler was great. I've also been reading about Wahoo vs Johnny Valentine and know they had some matches in houston in the early 70s but I doubt Boesch taped or saved those matches.

Welcome aboard. This is the #1 place discuss NWA Classics. I doubt they have any Wahoo vs Johnny, but one thing about the service I've learned is never underestimate it. It has churned out more never before seen gems . I'm a big wrestling footage collector and this service is blowing my mind on the amount of stuff not in circulation.

I don't think Wahoo vs. Spoiler was even on the radar as a "classic feud" for most of the people here. Makes you think about all the stuff that is kept in vaults over at Titan Towers or Televisa's bunker that we will never get to see... it's great to see people like Bruce working through the footage and finding these gems for us.

Bruce - I know that all your effort (time and money wise) is on Houston but have you considered buying in the future any of the other tape collections that aren't owned by WWE?

Bruce - I know that all your effort (time and money wise) is on Houston but have you considered buying in the future any of the other tape collections that aren't owned by WWE?

He talked about that on the podcast with Dave Meltzer. He said as soon as NWAClassics launched he had offers from a few people trying to sell him their tape libraries but that he didn't have the money or the resources to pursue it. And seeing as he's said it would take another 2-3 years to get all of the Houston footage uploaded I wouldn't imagine it would change until after that unless the service really blows up in popularity. (So for people who haven't, go subscribe already!)

Both matches today are from August 12 (Kris' results say April, I think, but I trust Boesch hyping it more). I haven't seen Reed vs Duggan yet.

I did see the JYD/Dusty vs Dibiase/Kamala Bullrope + Chain match though. First we get the bloody promos from Dusty/JYD and Kamala/Akbar/Dibiase from the week before. I don't think any of this stuff had been out there so just seeing another bloody Dusty promo that I had never seen before was really cool. I really liked the Dibiase/Akbar one though. I thought Akbar did a great job and Kamala does something during the promo that was just way over the top.

The match itself was a hell of a spectacle. It was only 7 minutes but it didn't really seem like a cheat because of the amount of action they put into it and the novelty of the match itself. Kamala played his character so well. Dibiase stooged like a king and Dusty just had this sense of absolute awareness of what to do in the little time they needed. The charisma between JYD and Dusty in there, especially in 83 was like nothing else. It is what it is, time-wise and I doubt it'd rate too high on the mid-south rankings, for instance, but it's still must see for historical value and the showmanship and the uniqueness of the gimmick and of Kamala interacting with Dusty.

He talked about that on the podcast with Dave Meltzer. He said as soon as NWAClassics launched he had offers from a few people trying to sell him their tape libraries but that he didn't have the money or the resources to pursue it. And seeing as he's said it would take another 2-3 years to get all of the Houston footage uploaded I wouldn't imagine it would change until after that unless the service really blows up in popularity. (So for people who haven't, go subscribe already!)

Thanks - there were several interviews with Bruce about the service popping up at the same time so I ended up skipping that one.

It makes sense and that's what I imagined. It's a small niche service and it may be a while before the initial investment is paid off.

Both matches today are from August 12 (Kris' results say April, I think, but I trust Boesch hyping it more). I haven't seen Reed vs Duggan yet.

I did see the JYD/Dusty vs Dibiase/Kamala Bullrope + Chain match though. First we get the bloody promos from Dusty/JYD and Kamala/Akbar/Dibiase from the week before. I don't think any of this stuff had been out there so just seeing another bloody Dusty promo that I had never seen before was really cool. I really liked the Dibiase/Akbar one though. I thought Akbar did a great job and Kamala does something during the promo that was just way over the top.

The match itself was a hell of a spectacle. It was only 7 minutes but it didn't really seem like a cheat because of the amount of action they put into it and the novelty of the match itself. Kamala played his character so well. Dibiase stooged like a king and Dusty just had this sense of absolute awareness of what to do in the little time they needed. The charisma between JYD and Dusty in there, especially in 83 was like nothing else. It is what it is, time-wise and I doubt it'd rate too high on the mid-south rankings, for instance, but it's still must see for historical value and the showmanship and the uniqueness of the gimmick and of Kamala interacting with Dusty.

My results said August

If you are interested in the history of Houston wrestling, there is a pictorial history of it in the early-mid '70s here:

http://www.amazon.com/Friday-Night-Coliseum-Geoff-Winningham/dp/B001TO23P6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1442772405&sr=8-2&keywords=friday+night+at+the+coliseum

Worldcat record in case any one would want to use InterLibrary Loan to receive it at their local public library. This assumes you live in the US as I'm not sure how ILL works in other countries:

http://www.worldcat.org/title/friday-night-in-the-coliseum/oclc/315164&referer=brief_results

It's called "Friday Night at the Coliseum" and it's by Geoff Winningham. Winningham was a photographer who photographed Texas culture in the '70s. It has interviews and reprints of letters from fans as well as interviews (strictly Kayfaybe) with Johnny Valentine, Paul Boesch, Wahoo, Tim Woods, and many others. It's a good companion piece to NWALegends.com which I have and love.

I was doing some research trying to find the card which this match happened.

Nick Bockwinkle / Ray Stevens vs. Red Bastien / Ken Patera 6-08-74

And I found it on the May 3 1974 program in which Billy Graham fought Jose Lothario which bruce listed with the Graham matches. Now the match could have happened again but I couldn't find a 6/8/74 card.

Here's the program http://superstarbillygraham.net/Graham/results/May3_1974.html

A lot of the cataloged matches that bruce posted a few pages back, the dates are at least a day off from some of the cards that I have found, so I guess we will see but it's fun anyway looking up this great history that I know little of.

Do we have any kind of dates for the two Nick Bockwinkel matches?

If Gagne is pissed about Nick getting the title back we know it's probably 1981, although Verne wasn't shy to bring stuff like that up well after the fact so it could be later.

If he's wrestling Rick Hunter, the TV airdate I have for that one courtesy of Clawmaster's archives is 6/14/81.

If it's the Barrera match I couldn't find a listing for it in 1981. Bock sure beat the hell out of Tony Leone on TV a lot that year, though.

I finally took the plunge and bought the service. I jumped right into Wahoo vs. Spoiler and the first and third falls were pretty awesome. Wahoo had two moves the entire match.... a chop and an elbow drop and the chops were glorious. I really liked the stuff with the mask and the claw in the third fall and can't wait to see a rematch between these two.

Did Jerry Lawler ever work Houston? I know he worked Florida and San Antonio during this time. I was hoping we have some Lawler in Houston. That would be amazing.

One match.

Boesch @ Houston, TX – Sam Houston Coliseum – August 14, 1982

Tiger Conway Jr. d. Bill Ash

Killer Brooks fought El Gran Apollo to a draw

Ricky Morton d. The Grappler

Ken Lucas d. Hacksaw Duggan by countout

Tiger Conway Jr., El Gran Apollo, Ken Lucas, & Ricky Morton d. Bill Ash, Killer Brooks, Hacksaw Duggan, & The Grappler

Mongolian Stomper d. Terry Funk

Piledriver Match: Bob Sweetan d. Jerry Lawler by DQ

Junkyard Dog & Ernie Ladd d. The Dynamic Duo

Nick Bockwinkel d. Dick Slater

• Loss unpinned this topic