Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

My biggest issues are the stretched 16:9 content, and the what feels pretty shady in the Cleeng third party. That sign up doesn't tell you you're actually giving your info to a 3rd party, and then you can't even check your account status via the NWAOD site itself, only knowing where to check it from an email receipt is pretty gross. Especially since signing up for the trial auto signs you up for the $99 a year plan unless you cancel, which you can't cancel without going to a secondary site.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest issues are the stretched 16:9 content, and the what feels pretty shady in the Cleeng third party. That sign up doesn't tell you you're actually giving your info to a 3rd party, and then you can't even check your account status via the NWAOD site itself, only knowing where to check it from an email receipt is pretty gross. Especially since signing up for the trial auto signs you up for the $99 a year plan unless you cancel, which you can't cancel without going to a secondary site.

Clicking manage your account on sidebar menu takes you to the Cleeng site with pretty much 1 click so I'm not really sure what you're talking about with the email receipt stuff. The trial also does not sign you up for the $99 year plan automatically you can change it to a monthly plan before you ever put in credit card info so all of your complaints sound like user errors to me.

I'm hoping to get some video footage of his reaction to a few of the matches.

That's great. I ran into Rudy Boy Gonzalez the other day. So of course I start gushing to him about how awesome Jose has been on all these matches on the footage. He told me Dusty and Terry said he was the greatest ethnic working babyface that they had seen.

The Bockwinkle matches both sound like TV squashes sent in from AWA unless Torpedo Guzman is someone who worked Houston that I've never heard of. Guerreros/Fabs is always a good match. I think the Buzz/Duggan match is out there but with inferior VQ obviously. Harley Race vs. Rick McGraw could surprise some people as Rick was getting a decent push in Southwest in 83 which is when I am guessing that match is from.

Goc, I think that's a different Duggan vs Sawyer dog collar match from a few months earlier. There was one on December 27, 1985 too according to the thread.

I'm pretty certain that dog collar match here is from the same card as the Sheepherders/Guerreros and Doc & Dibiase vs Murdoch & Superstar matches (March 14, 1986), so it is in front of the best crowd ever, basically. Can't wait.

EDIT: I could be wrong, of course since that 12/27/85 show has a Guerreros vs Fabs match too so it may be from that reel. It's just that of the Guerreros vs Fabs matches we have listed, the 12/27/85 is the first one with rematches on 12/29, 1/5(chain), 1/24(Mexican Death), and 2/28 (cage).

It's up and is the Dec 27 one (with the usual good VQ). BUT we also get the Lawler vs Masked Superstar match too, which I know I haven't seen before and it's ten minutes of two of my favorite wrestlers of all time. Maybe that was circulating previously, but I don't think so.

Hacksaw Duggan vs Buzz Sawyer Dog Collar Match.

This is a dog collar match and it's a fight. They're brawling in the ring, outside the ring. Big chain shots. One of my favorite spots is when Duggan is about to make a come back and Sawyer cuts him off with a chain right into Duggan's cut. A very nasty spot. Both guys are a bloody mess. The crowd is taken aback by the violence that it takes a bit for them to start rallying for Duggan. The chain shots to the body were great and you could believe Sawyer was internal bleeding. The finish was violent to a violent match. 4*

The Lawler/Superstar match was good for what it was. I think there were certain demands. Superstar was the one who had to get over more than Lawler to some degree. Mainly, I don't think the fans were super familiar with either guy (despite the magazines or Atlanta TV) and it reminded me a little at Dusty's reactions in Houston that we've seen. I really liked how Lawler used the mask at almost every point. I think he understood (like only he could) that he wasn't super over, that Superstar wasn't super over, but the idea of the mask, in general, was, so he kept going to it in order to get reactions, in order to help create unique hope spots and in order to help explain when Superstar got back over on him. I'm with Pete that it's obvious from this match that these two could have had an amazing one in Memphis. Also, I think, given enough time, Lawler would have had no problem getting over in Houston. If nothing else, it was very cool to hear Boesch announce one of his matches.

Fabs vs Chavo and Hector Guerrero

This was just a great southern tag. The Guerreroes were the faces here. Their shine was really focused. They just dismantled Keirn and Lanes arm. This was done with vigor and purpose. The Fabs though eventually are able to bully their way into the corner for the tag and get the heat on the Guerreroes. The heat section is really well done. They used misdirection to the ref to get double teams on the faces. The Fabs used cheap shots. The crowd was going nuts here This was all really well done. Then they build to an absolutely great finish for a 1st match. 4*

Lewin vs Kamata

These guys are known for their bloodbaths. Here we get some good brawling. Kamata is bleeding a minute in. Seeing Kamata as a face was interesting. His comebacks were well timed. He sold underneath pretty well. I liked Lewin's chops to the cut. The nerve holds hurt the flow and momentum of the match. Both guys were guilty of this. On top of this the finish felt abrupt. 2 1/2*

We got 3 interviews after this building a show in Beaumont Texas with Gary Hart,JJ Dillon, and Ox Baker. All 3 were good, but Baker's was the best.

When I 1st saw that this was booked for 27 minutes I thought whoever booked it to go this long needed a psyche evaluation.Then I see the other ring is being worked on. So it's possible they went long to stall for time.

Fall one was actually pretty solid. Though they did blow a shoulder block something fierce. I thought Madril's leg work was ok. The crowd brawling got over. Overall a solid 1st fall.

The 2nd fall I dug the psychology for the most part. Krupp went for the stomach claw 3 times and Madril escaped 3 times. Krupp won the fall with a knee to the stomach. I think the fall would have worked better if Krupp won it with a stomach claw since he's being set up for a match with Fritz Von Erich.

Fall 3 was a really long nerve hold that Krupp won with his feet on the rope. In a nice piece of booking David Von Erich gets the decision overturned. This helps with the Krupp/Fritz match. 1 1/2*

Duggan vs Akbar

Loser Leaves Town for 30 days. I went to this show as a kid with my brother. This is a cage match. I believe originally it Duggan vs Kamala with if Duggan wins he gets 5 minutes with Akbar. As a kid, my brother and I wanted Duggan to get that no good Akbar. I'm sure my brother and I called him much worse in real time. Bottom line this was worked spot on and super heated. Duggan took most of the match. Skandar used a foreign object to gain an advantage. Duggan gets it and uses his finisher on Akbar. Stuff like this I miss in my wrestling.

Duggan vs Akbar

Loser Leaves Town for 30 days. I went to this show as a kid with my brother. This is a cage match. I believe originally it Duggan vs Kamala with if Duggan wins he gets 5 minutes with Akbar. As a kid, my brother and I wanted Duggan to get that no good Akbar. I'm sure my brother and I called him much worse in real time. Bottom line this was worked spot on and super heated. Duggan took most of the match. Skandar used a foreign object to gain an advantage. Duggan gets it and uses his finisher on Akbar. Stuff like this I miss in my wrestling.

In Between the Sheets #63 they talked about how Kamala left Mid-South to avoid losing a series of Loser Leaves Town matches with Duggan so that would explain how it ended up being just Duggan vs. Akbar.

• Loss unpinned this topic