Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Online now: BUDDY LANDELL vs. HACKSAW DUGGAN from June 4, 1982!

This is like a bizzaro world match where Duggan is the heel and Buddy not quite Nature Boy is the face. Duggan even as a heel shows the charisma that would make him loved by the crowd even to this day. He also has this Tiger by the tail energy to him. This was a fun bout. I love Duggan going for his spear right off the bat to no avail. Landell keeps Duggan off balance with arm drags. Duggans strength is too much and uses it to his advantage. The match is pretty basic,but I thought Duggan's mannerisms carried this. 2 1/2*

Gilbert/Nightmare vs Guerreros

Eddie and the Nightmare are the tag champs here. with Humperdink as their manager. I thought both teams did a good job. The in ring work had a real good ring psychology, and the story was easy to follow. Gilbert and the Nightmare both bumped and stooged early for the Guerreros. The Guerreros get a nice shine. First they work over the Nightmare's arm with some good arm work. Eventually Gilbert gets in and they really work over his arm. I loved Chavo's key lock in this. It takes some interferance from the Nightmare to turn the tied. They do a good job working over Hector for a bit. Chavo hot tag and he's running wild. He hits a big move and has a visual pinfall. The heels distract the ref to allow Humperdink to hit Chavo. The ref turns around just in time for a DQ. 3 1/2*

Sheepherders vs Bruise Bros Chicago Street Fight

The 1/24/86 is essential viewing as it's a hot angle to set up the Chicago Street Fight on 1/31/86. This is a decent brawl, made all the better by the incredible crowd heat. I can't put over how much heat the Sheepherders generated here. Houston is easiest one of the more patriotic cities in the U.S. For crowd heat the match gets 5*, for work it gets 2*. Combined I'll go 3 1/4*.

Playing catch up:

I liked the Jake/Steiner match quite a bit. You have to love how behind him the crowd was and how excited by it that Boesch seemed to be. Jake was able to give up a lot of the match and hit that lightning DDT. Jake earned all that goodwill from DDP since he took that key element of his babyface act from Jake. I thought Steiner showed a ton of potential as a heel here, actually, and it's a shame that once he turned, we didn't see him as a heel again until 99 when he was over the hill. I'm weirdly tempted to revisit that stuff. We were all so furious as a community that he was going over Benoit and what not that we probably didn't give the actual work a good look. His instincts and crowd interaction was really good.

Also really good was Williams in that role. He's such a natural babyface in Houston/Mid-South that it's obviously how he should have been cast but he seemed like he was having so much fun in the Gibson match.

And to round out the heels, I can't get enough of heel Duggan. I love the Mil match and I liked this a lot too. He just had this manic energy to him. There's basically a year+ of him being a heel in Houston, so we've got more to come, ideally. Some of the match ups really look fun too. Dusty and Brody (which seems a natural fit) and Wahoo and Rich and Slater and Murdoch and Morton. Varied, interesting opponents. It's something to look forward to.

I wish that Sheepherders vs Bruise Brothers went longer. Yes, Houston was super patriotic, but the Russians didn't get the same level of heat that the Sheepherders seemed to. It's amazing watching them go out every time. Babyface Bruise Brothers with that entrance is really cool too. The comeback here, as fleeting as it was, had to be the best moment of Mad Dog Boyd's life, with the crowd getting behind him like that. the Houston crowd really is the best.

Good week or two of matches. Keep 'em coming.

SPOILER vs. FRANK DUSEK from August 3, 1979 is now online!

This is your basic 70's style match where we see a lot exchanging of holds. I did enjoy the bit of arm work that Dusek did in the match. Spoiler delivers this nasty looking big boot. It looked like it knocked Dusek loopy. I enjoyed the set up at the finish. I loved Spoiler snapping Dusek's neck on the rope to follow up with a top rope forearm to the neck. 2*

See, I love the occasional squashes and other things that aren't "great" matches. It helps give a feel to Houston and let's face it, not everything in wrestling is just "great" matches. Watching Bock and Heenan here being cool as fuck with that groovy commentary is fucking fun.

If all you get is Filet Mignon , eventually you get sick of it. My favorite thing about this service is the variety.

I thought that Spoiler / Dusek match stunk. But it's fun to see so you can think about why it stunk. So you can see creative choices that didn't work. If all this service had was nothing but so called "great matches", based on a completely ridiculous paradigm, I'd have cancelled. But it's providing a full experience. I want midgets, rough broads , and squashes along with Murdoch vs DiBiase.

Two different things here:

1.) I think matches like the Spoiler and Chavo ones are really important because we don't have a lot of footage of the Spoiler at all or a lot of quasi-Squash matches with Chavo. You can learn a lot from those historically.

2.) I'm less keen on the studio squashes sent in, but it's better to post them than nothing, and more than that, if you're going to post squashes, you could do worse than Bockwinkel ones.

In other news, I came across this while looking for something else. Hopefully it links correctly (scroll up two pages to the start of the article). It's a May 1976 Texas Monthly article on Houston wrestling, and it's actually pretty great.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ZCsEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA88&lpg=PA88&dq=wrestling+last+ten+minutes+in+the+ring&source=bl&ots=uXaZQtFxmx&sig=X-ud8yyjKD-P8VetIyeJphP1N1k&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjq1YzVr_HQAhXqqlQKHZdyAUgQ6AEINTAF#v=onepage&q&f=false

Chavo vs Twin Devil #2

I liked this. I really enjoyed Twin Devil #2's offense as a counterpoint to Chavo's flash. #2 used rudo tactics throughout. His hair pull spot was one of the better ones I've seen. The monkey flips he took from Chavo got some series air on them. On top of it we got some twin magic with #1 coming in selling. I thought that was a nice touch. 2 1/2*

I loved the hidden gems of Houston upload. The Sheik/Gary Hart/Pail Boesch segment was fantastic and was fun, unscripted, and so Houston. Charlie Cook was next, and it was what it was. Then it was Lord Alfred Hayes who looked a lot like Tracy Smothers here cuts a great promo. He had tons of charisma, and was very dynamic.

Date for Dory Funk vs Moon Mulligan is 11/20/81.

This wasn't a bad match, Dory show some nice moves but overall your standard opening match.**

There is still a lot of matches unavailable including Valentine/Curry and a few Funk matches so hopefully they can get that sorted soon.

You do know that Bruce and company aren't under any kind of obligation to complete baseball card collections here, right? The point of the service is to have fun with this awesome footage, not being all Rain Man about showing complete cards.

I know it's easy to get that way, I guess, and I'm not being a dick. Just let it come as it may. This latest bunch of stuff is super fun, and as Paul Boesch says here, "The variety is for you......and it's good." 😎

I loved the hidden gems of Houston upload. The Sheik/Gary Hart/Pail Boesch segment was fantastic and was fun, unscripted, and so Houston. Charlie Cook was next, and it was what it was. Then it was Lord Alfred Hayes who looked a lot like Tracy Smothers here cuts a great promo. He had tons of charisma, and was very dynamic.

That entire segment was everything that makes wrestling awesome. I went full Sagan and gave it billions and billions stars.

Date for Dory Funk vs Moon Mulligan is 11/20/81.

This wasn't a bad match, Dory show some nice moves but overall your standard opening match.**

There is still a lot of matches unavailable including Valentine/Curry and a few Funk matches so hopefully they can get that sorted soon.

Thanks for the date.

Dory vs Moon

I enjoyed this match. Dory working over the arm was well done. I marked out huge when Dory would throw big European forearms at Moon's arm. I especially liked Moon's selling of those like he's been shot. Moon using dirty tactics to get a little advantage. Dory's Butterfly Suplex was tremendous. The finish was pretty weird though. 2 1/2*

You do know that Bruce and company aren't under any kind of obligation to complete baseball card collections here, right? The point of the service is to have fun with this awesome footage, not being all Rain Man about showing complete cards.

I know it's easy to get that way, I guess, and I'm not being a dick. Just let it come as it may. This latest bunch of stuff is super fun, and as Paul Boesch says here, "The variety is for you......and it's good."

I'm pretty sure NickH was talking about "matches that had been previously uploaded that aren't on the site anymore." not about uploading full cards.

• Loss unpinned this topic