Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DUTCH MANTELL vs, FRANK MONTE from June 4, 1982 is now online!

I thought this was a good meat and potatoes underneath match. I liked Monte's fire. He showed some charisma in the match. He had a swelled up Ron Glass look. I enjoyed the rope running spot where they teased a punch. Monte went after the dutchman's arm. I liked the arm work. Monte was focused on it. He did some fun jumping punches to the arm. Dutch of course was good here . He did a good job of making Monte in the loss. 2 1/4*

Posted Today, 04:13 AM

Buzz vs Chavo

I was really looking forward to checking this out. We get some mic work from both guys with Buzz really getting to the crowd. We see Chavo working a mid-atlantic style match. Chavo is working the arm. Every now and then he'd go after the arm really hard, but for the most part was content to just latch onto an arm bar. Buzz for his most part helped helped with the narrative of the match. He'd drop an elbow and miss and Chavo would work the arm. Another point Buzz charged Chavo into the corner, miss him, and then take a shoulder bump into the corner. Buzz cheats to get the heat. He slams Chavo on the floor. Starts working the back. Irish whip into the guard rail and back the back. Unfortunately no finish is recorded. Overall I liked the match. It told a story. Just lacked a spark. 3*

Lane vs Gibson

The history between Lane and Robert Gibson goes way back. So I was a little excited to see Lane work Ricky. This was a solid undercard match. They did some neat stuff that had payoffs. The guys did a good job engaging the crowd. Still their was some moments of eh. Still as an undercard bout it worked.

Taylor vs Gilbert

These guys would have a fun run together as a pair of heels.Gilbert gets heat with his version of the Fargo strut. Taylor gets the early shine. Here we see them working holds early. Humperdink doing baseball signals during the bout. I loved the payoffs that were set up in the match.Gilbert works the neck. They're throwing hands down the stretch. Taylor with a 5 arm for the win. 2 3/4*

Wahoo vs Gary Young

Young has always been a solid journeyman southern worker. Young is fun in the cat and mouse schtick. They have 2 rings to play with. I really liked Young's hand raising hijinks. Wahoo's overhead chop is so wicked. Young is really entertaining here. A fun underneath match.

I liked Wahoo vs Gary Young too. Young made for a solid stooging heel tempting fate. Wahoo looked like a million bucks in dispatching him in the end. Pretty certain we have most of this card now. This was earlier in the night a helps to give a real sense of the difference between a second match on the card spot and a main event. Can't wait until we get our next Wahoo main event though.

I gotta say all this Abdullah stuff was amazing. These clips all make Abby look like a dangerous ,crazy being out of control.This is the Abby I remember who terrified me as a kid whenever he was on my screen. He was the madman from the Sudam. The teasing of an Abby/Lothario match seems like an opportunity for an awesome match. Matt D and I were talking, and boy do we hope to get a payoff from all this goodness. JJ Dillon is fantastic in his role in these too.

So, when Gary Young tries to shake hands with Wahoo and Wahoo refuses, Paul says "Wahoo, as an Indian, has the right not to trust the White Man."

That's fucking tremendous.

That's one thing about the undercard matches. They're all worth it for Boesch on commentary, especially if he's talking about someone you haven't heard him talk about a bunch like in the Lawler match.

Grappers vs Conway Jr./Morton

I was expecting an 85-86 #2 match on the card. This is not that. It's a full on 1982 #2 match on a card, and the only tag match to boot. 29 minutes. Two out of three falls. Plenty of shine. Lots of heat. The crowd being super into Morton's comebacks and Conway in general, shoulder work, heel chicanery from the Grapplers (though maybe not enough), at least one double team move a few years before its time, and a solid finish. I thought the first fall, taken on its own could have been as good as almost all of the mid-late 80s Hart Foundation (for instance) house show tag matches I've seen. The comeback in the second fall wasn't as dynamic as it could have been but it told the story of Morton/Conway taking control of the match by tagging in and out for the first time in ten minutes. I wish the finish had a masked confusion bit as well, but it was mainly to get Grappler #1's boot over. If nothing else, it's another great look at early Morton shining with another partner (and Conway was very good at what he did. I think we can safely say that now).

Kai was really good at 22. That was a solid ten minute "listing out the birthdays" match with a lot of energy. She just threw herself into everything (like heel Jim Duggan from this period!). Speaking of 80s WWF tag teams, Glamour Girls might have been the best.

• Loss unpinned this topic