Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

Grapplers vs Tiger Jr./Morton

This says 29 minutes so these guys are going to get some time. The Grapplers are also the DWB's. A fun shine by the faces with quick tags. Faces are great at keeping the heels off balance. I'm marking out how the faces are using the headlock in a super effective way. Morton with an awesome atomic drop. Double drop kicks, hell yeah. Love Boesch teasing the loaded boot on commentary. Loving the Grappler's shining up the faces. Grapplers cut off Tiger, but is able to tag in Morton who misses a dropkick and the Grapplers start to work him over. Specifically the shoulder. The Grapplers heat segment is really focused. Tiger is good on the outside. Loved the heel switcheroo draws some heat. Morton'n fight is great, but his FIP work is the tops. Loved the set up to the hot tag, and then the hot tag. A real fun finish to the 1st. This was an awesome 1st fall.

The 2nd fall starts. They pick up perfectly and go after the neck after winning the 1st fall with a Hart Attack. The Grappler's psychology is so good here. Working a headlock to further hurt the neck. Also to take the crowd down a bit. Morton with a great cross body for a great nearfall. The faces get the equalizer.

The 3rd fall The faces get back to basics with quick tags. I loved how Tiger's headbutts were great than the Grapplers. Faces lighting them up with . I loved the finish since it was teased earlier .

Final Thoughts.

I thought the 1st fall was absolutely great tag wrestling. The layout, the psychology, the selling. It was right on point. The match felt a little long, but these guys did a great job filling the time. I liked how in a throw away line Boesch gave us the finish. 4 1/4*

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Princess Victoria vs Lelani Kai

I really like Leilani Kai's belly flop bumps. Princess Victoria had a good connection with the crowd. Kai after the arm. This is a fun work rate match. Loved the body scissor spots. Loved Kai going back to the arm. Super fun match. 3*

This is what you call a fun match. 1st we get Bruce Tharpe dancing with Koko prematch. Eddie Gilbert who is Bulba's manager telling the old people not to dance to that song for fear of having a heart attack. Thus Koko gets the crowd dancing again. Eddie and Koko getting into each other was grand. We get some fun stooging early from Bulba and was really good at it. This allows Koko to get on the mike and gets an Eddie is a chicken chant. This is glorious, and Eddie plays it up huge. The crowd is super hot . Koko selling inderneath and the crowd is with him 100%. When he makes his comeback the crowd is so behind him. Just a super fun bout. 2 3/4*

Morton vs Grappler

I loved how the grappling led to this awesome rope running high spot. Morton is looking good early. The Grappler is awesome in shining him up. Grappler suckers Morton into a test of strength/knuckle lock. Morton reverses it in a great spot. Again Grappler making Morton look like a million bucks. Grappler takes a bump on his shoulder and Morton starts working it. Grappler uses leverage to get Morton tossed to the outside. Grappler begins a straight up rudo tactic. He gives Morton a little bit of a run, then cuts him off. They build to a hot finish. Grappler loads the boot and the rest is history. 3 1/2*

Morton vs Grappler

You know that old wrestling cliche about how young babyfaces should watch a lot of Ricky Morton tape? This match is absolute testament to that. His body language in selling was just amazing here. The way that he bumped put just a little extra turn or oomph or enhancement of reality to everything but never so much so that it made you doubt what was happening. It increased the impact without being even a little over the top and it made it all seem more impactful and important. Grappler was a perfect foil for him. I loved the leverage move cut off too (and how Morton had his number before that). Perfect by the books wrestling. I wish they had waited to announce the three minute mark until after one of Morton's escalating hope spots failed (in that they announced it as he was coming back from the chinlock and it would have been better timed after he missed the follow up elbow drop) but that's not anyone's fault really. It's a shame they didn't do more with Grappler here.

That brings me to Blanchard vs Casey. It's less of a match, though what's there is absolute comfort food with Tully stooging and cheating and Casey being the game, tough babyface. It's Gino that really shines though. Look, we've learned so much about Houston as a territory. If you asked someone here, three years ago what they key matches were in Memphis over the 82-87 period, for instance, they could tell you, or Crockett from 85-89 or WWWF or Portland from 79-83, just the biggest drawing, key moments. The things that were BUILT to, the seminal matches. With Houston, we've been learning as we go. I don't think many people could have answered that question for the pre-Watts stuff. It's obvious now, from watching before and after, that the May 18, 1982 Tommy Rich vs Gino Hernandez Steel Cage death match has to be up there. It had the stip that if Gino won, Boesch would kiss his shoe too. Gino won. This was a week later and he was on the outside in this match as the cockiest little shit in the world, interrupting Boesch on commentary, running interference on Casey, getting heat left and right. This was the height of the Dynamic Duo as heatseeking machines and there's not a person on this site that doesn't love that sort of thing.

Hopefully we do get that Rich vs Gino cage match because it sounds like the best thing in the world.

Blanchard vs Scott Casey

We get a killer Gino promo to start. He really is the total package.

Gino's antics on the outside are really interesting. The match is more about Gino on the outside. Tully and Gino are heat magnets. Match though was more of a backdrop.

Stomper vs Jones

Stomper all over Jones early. I've liked what Stomper I've seen. Brawling on the floor now. Jones taking a beating. Jones had the crowd with him on his comeback. Stomper cuts him off , and hooks on the stomach claw. Jones is selling this pretty damn good. Again Jones has the crowd on his comeback. A misstep and Stomper is working the midsection. Jones is a big boy so you believe in him going toe to toe. Still this is a little plodding, and lacks a spark. I loved Jones dropping head butts on Stomper's leg. I liked aspects of the match. 2 1/4*

Buck Robley promo building to a Stomper/Brody match.

I'm slightly higher than Pete on the Stomper match. I thought they had a surprising amount of fire when they were on the floor the couple of times they went out. I thought Jones had a lot in his comebacks too. It's really hard to make a stomach claw compelling, however, and they didn't quite manage it. That said, I did really appreciate how focused Stomper's offense was on the stomach in cutting Jones off and controlling him. He was a total pro.

Another date for the data base.

5/20/52 Dallas
George Bollas, Ivan Kalmikoff & Duke Keomuka beat Ray Gunkel, Reggie Lisowski & Danny Savich

The only match without a date now is Waldo vs Dory Dixon, I know its the 60s but cant find a specific date.

Another date for the data base.

5/20/52 Dallas

George Bollas, Ivan Kalmikoff & Duke Keomuka beat Ray Gunkel, Reggie Lisowski & Danny Savich

The only match without a date now is Waldo vs Dory Dixon, I know its the 60s but cant find a specific date.

What was the date on the Lou Thesz vs Bill Longson match?

How about Duke Keomuka vs Ricki Starr?

(Thanks for continuing to give us this information!)

Thesz vs Longson - 6/17/52

Starr vs Keomuka - 1952 (not enough info for actual date)

There is actually TWO Starr/Keomuka matches so I did some serious digging. I compared both matches and they weren't the same, they wrestled 5 times in 1952 in single matches.

The match on WWE's World Class dvd and the 27 minute match on youtube are the same. That date is 11/18/52.

Duggan vs Monte

Monte with a shine early working the arm. Duggan wants to be vertical, but Monte uses the arm drag as a weapon. Duggan's strength is too much and is a clubberin. Monte working underneath, but is cut off. Duggan using his weight. Again Monte keeps him off balance with a arm drag. Monte taking it to Duggan. Hammerlock takes Jim to the mat. Duggan and Monte go back and forth. Duggan takes him to the floor. Awesome finish. A real nice back and forth match.

Chavo vs Gino

It starts out with Gino kicking the shit out of a fan. I'm still tingling from the fight. Plus we have Lou Thesz as ref. The crowd is 100% behind Chavo. It also wants to lynch Gino. Gino on the neck, and negating Chavo's speed. Incredible belly to belly hope spot by Chavo. I'm loving the slow build, the wrestlers are getting huge reactions on arm drags. Everything the wrestlers do is getting over. Gino is smart by taking the heat down with the headlock. I'm loving Gino smothering Chavo. Chavo with a big comeback. The way Chavo works the Rito Romero special is really interesting It looks like it should break Gino's back. . The way Chavo is after the arm is cool The Fig 4 Octopus is so cool. Gino steals the fall.

This was a strong 2nd fall. It was short, but sweet.

The 3rd fall and Chavo is on fire. Chavo misses, but Gino capitalizes. Chavo returns the favor and holds the trunks for the win. Post match Gino lays out Chavo. Thesz and the babyfaces take the title from Gino. Post match was awesome, and heated. I'm a guy who takes crowd reactions as being very important. The crowd here was great throughout the match. This had an epic feel to it. 4 1/4*

• Loss unpinned this topic