Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

Duo vs JYD/Conway Jr

Loving Conway Jr. dancing to another one bites the dust, and refers to the faces as the Soul Patrol. Tully pinballing early for the faces. We get some great stooging from the heels. JYD is in and is dominating Gino and Tully. Gino working over JYD. Tully now is working over the Dog. Tiger in and beating on the Duo. I love the boxing spots. Gino is tremendous showing ass.They finally cut off Tiger. He's FIP now and the Duo is in an out with tags. Big drop kick by Gino. Tiger taking a beating. Tully's turn to wear Tiger down. A hot tag the refs don't see. The crowd is pissed. Bock is out and pulls JYD off the apron. Crowd is really pissed. Tully with a piledriver. JYD is bleeding. Tiger is fighting to get to JYD. This is a great heat segment. Tag to JYD, and he's pissed and the crowd is with him. A big thump gets 2 on Tully. Double noggin knocker for 3. Bock is out and we get a heated postmatch. 4* The angle with JYD really added some juice to the match. All 4 guys really played their role well

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely loved the Mil/Manny vs Dynamic Duo match. I'm higher on it than Pete, certainly, even though I know he liked it. I think this is probably the best example yet at just how good Gino was in 1981. You take the basic premise of the match, that he had wronged Mil over time, that he was afraid of him despite all of his boasts, that he was going to try to hide behind Tully and capitalize on every advantage they could manage, despite the two refs, and then you take his natural skill, charisma and sheer dedication and you get a truly special performance. It was so good I wanted to timestamp every little thing he does in the match. That was sort of a ridiculous chore, but I do want to highlight a couple of things.

First, look at his headlock segment early on with Manny. It was perfect in its understanding of exactly how he should be bumping and stooging. He eats a dropkick in it, for instance, but understands that the way he should bump for it, in this moment early in the match, was to be stunned and surprised, bouncing back up and right into the headlock takeover again. It was a functional slap so early on.

Then look at the ending of that, when Manny makes the tag to Mil. First he struggles to get away, scared. Then when Manny just lets him go, at Mil's instruction, he looks over to him, exasperated, totally unsure why the heck he's getting out of the ring and just leaving him with Mil. Then he puts his hands over his ears to try to block out the excited crowd. Finally, he backsteps with his hands up just far enough to allow him to turn tail and run to Tully and the tag. Then on the apron, he puts his hands over his ears again. It was perfect to draw the crowd in, to portray a series of emotions that showed how invested Gino was, to get Mil over as a massive threat without even taking one bump for him yet.

This goes on and on. Tully works Mil to the corner. That means that Gino's excited to come in, to work his way around for the double team. Mil immediately turns it into a double noggin-knocker though, and Gino staggers back, holding his head. He eats the flying headbutt off the ropes immediately there after and sells by bouncing up and tagging Tully in one astoundingly cowardly movement. They show him rolling to the floor after that, looking relieved to be out of the ring. Next time he gets tagged in, Mil tags out to Manny (he'd already done a double headlock takeover/headscissors to the Duo as Gino ran in to feed the spot). Gino immediately points to Mil on the apron demanding he tags back in. When he does (and Manny knows how to milk that moment), Gino immediately runs for the hills as the crowd goes nuts. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Gino finally does take over with a cheapshot knee (And Boesch is great in his moralizing), and the desperation in being in control against a star like Mil is just what you want. He hits a move and goes for a pin but the second Mil kicks out, Gino's dashing across the ring to make the tag. Then he dashes back to elbow him in the back of the head to hold him in place until Tully can get there. That level of urgency imparts weight and importance to everything that happens. Again, if Gino cares THAT much, the crowd is going to care too.

So a hot tag happens and Manny cleans house, hitting first a giant knee drop off the ropes and then the flying forearm. If this was a two out of three falls match, it'd be a pin, but instead it's both a near-fall and a transition, as Tully rushes in to break the pinfall. Manny immediately goes after Tully, who had retreated back to the apron and this lets Gino get a knee to the back in. After he tags out, he sells the damage by slumping over the turnbuckle on the apron. Tully does a lot of the actual working over of Manny (with a nice butterfly suplex and neckbreaker), with Gino feeding for the hope spots (including a giant sunset flip). His big contribution here is some cheapshots on the floor and then running away from Mil's attempt at a save to huge reaction from the crowd.

When Manny finally makes the hot tag after a sort of northern lights set up into a belly to belly which could easily work as a finisher today, Gino's reaction is (again) perfect. He recoils as if he was hit, spinning around and backing into the corner in fear, eating a flurry of headlocked fists as the crowd is constantly screaming. The heels cheat to win and celebrate, drawing heat even as Manny tries to run them off. All of this makes the impassioned Mil promo in Spanish all the better and all of this sets up the Mexican Death Match between the Duo and Mil/Dos Caras two weeks later. Just an amazing, chickenshit, heatseeking performance by Gino.

I'll comment on the JYD/Tiger match later, but what was immediately cool about it was that it was just one week later and it's far, far more of a Tully performance than a Gino performance and just as good in many ways.

Fantastics vs Dutch/Dundee

This is a pole match with a bull rope on top. I was here live as a 13 year old kid. Fantastics were always over big in H-Town. You even see a glimpse of me when the Fantastics are getting their love from the ladies. Dundee is known as one of the great pole workers of all time because of his circus background. The crowd goes nuts every time the Fantastics go after the pole. Heels getting heat on them early. Crowd is hot as hell for this . Their are a lot of great near getting the whip spots. The fantastic's comeback was awesome. The cutoffs on the pole have been great. Fulton gets the hot tag after . He gets cut off, but gets the tag to Rogers. The Fantatics get the whip and clear house. A really hot match with a lot of story and a hot crowd. 3 3/4*

Dusty vs Duggan

Duggan with a huge punch, but it's a whiff to start things. Dusty with some shucking and a jiving. Nice arm drags by Dusty and the crowd is rabid here. Duggan looks pissed. Duggan dirty fights him in the corner. I love Duggan's jumping elbow. Duggan takes him outside a beats on Dusty and busts him open. Duggan after the cut. Dusty starts a comeback and is cut off. A little back and forth and Duggan cuts him off. Duggan mounts Dusty and goes after the cut. Dusty powers up and makes a comeback. Robley gets involved and it's a DQ. Brody and Duggan pair off and it's awesome. Slater and Sweetan are out and Sweetan hits a nasty piledriver on Slater. A superfun postmatch that was super heated. This was a real fun spirited brawl. 3 1/4* With the Slater injury, it's a nice angle since it's the Dynamic Duo vs Brody/Slater in a cage later.

Duggan's promo was great and effective. Sweetan's promo is really slimy and different than Duggan's , but works. Has a little Bock to him. Robley is an effective promo too. The hard sell for Brody vs Duggan. Brody promo where he threatens to stalk Duggan.

I liked Dusty v Duggan, Dusty is so charismatic and boy can he bleed, the post match brawl was great, loved the natural reaction of these crowds. And Brody is such a good promo, brings that intensity and confidence that you want out of the good guys. Great stuff.

Also finished the Pritchard podcast on Houston and it was very good even though I still dont like Conrad. Just reading Bruce's twitter it seems everybody underestimated the Houston territory. Seems to be everyones favorite podcast thus far. Just hearing Pritchard talk about Wahoo & Johnny Valentine you just hope there's a match in the library of those two. But overall an enjoyable listen, some great stories and hearing Bruce you can tell that Houston has a special place in his heart.

• 2 weeks later...

Lord Humongous music video

-This was tremendous, and would babyface him today as a bad ass.

Al Perez

-Always miscast as a babyface. Though I love all the suplexes in it.

Rock n Roll Express

-This was one of the best of its kind back in the day. It totally captures the essence of the team.

Midnight Rider

-This is the Bill Watts Midnight Rider version..

Wendell Cooley

-The song suited his Wildcatter character.

Dark Journey

-LOL, this is hilarious.

Fantastics

-Another classic video from the 80's.

Wendy Richter vs Lelanikai

Wendy is known as the Dallas Cowgirl. Wendy on the arm to start. Rope break and we have some grappling. Loved Wendy's kickoff. The counter wrestling has been solid. Wendy switches her focus on the leg. Wendy really working the leg. Wendy's work on the leg has been active. Kai escapes and starts choking Wendy. Wendy switches over to a front face lock to control. Kai with a bit of offense , only for Wendy to cut her off. Kai with a hair pull to set up her heat. Kai working over Wendy. Big miss by Kai. Wendy clamps om a body scissor. They blow this spot twice in a row. The finish was really clunky. They were pretty solid up until the last spot or 2. 1 3/4*

Rare GENE KINISKI footage online!

Wrong date Bruce, its 10/30/81 part of the 3 day tournament. His son Kelly Kiniski is on the 7/24 show.

On to the match, Gene is 52 here and looked great here, lots of energy, he could still go. Always heard he had great stamina and it's kinda proven here. A fun match.

Rare GENE KINISKI footage online!

Wrong date Bruce, its 10/30/81 part of the 3 day tournament. His son Kelly Kiniski is on the 7/24 show.

On to the match, Gene is 52 here and looked great here, lots of energy, using his veteran skills, a very fun match..

Do you have the card?

Do you have the card?

10/30/81 Houston, TX(1st Night of Gold Cup Tournament)
Wahoo McDaniel draw Nick Bockwinkel(20:00)
Dos Caras beat Bull Ramos
Dick Slater beat Evan Johnson
Manny Fernandez beat Terry Allen
Gino Hernandez double countout with The Sheik
Tully Blanchard draw Mike Graham
Gene Kiniski beat Tank Patton
Moon Mulligan beat Kelly Kiniski
Tom Pritchard beat Don Serrano
Tiger Conway, Jr. beat Ray Hernandez
Scott Casey beat The Spoiler

Do you have the card?

10/30/81 Houston, TX(1st Night of Gold Cup Tournament)

Wahoo McDaniel draw Nick Bockwinkel(20:00)

Dos Caras beat Bull Ramos

Dick Slater beat Evan Johnson

Manny Fernandez beat Terry Allen

Gino Hernandez double countout with The Sheik

Tully Blanchard draw Mike Graham

Gene Kiniski beat Tank Patton

Moon Mulligan beat Kelly Kiniski

Tom Pritchard beat Don Serrano

Tiger Conway, Jr. beat Ray Hernandez

Scott Casey beat The Spoiler

Thanks

Kiniski vs Patton

Kiniski showing a lot of energy at the start. He's taking it to Patton. I love this attempted hip toss by Patton, while Gene holds on to the ropes. The crowd is loving Kiniski. Kiniski's jump off the bottom rope into a double wristlock was tremendous. Patton is a great foil here. Patton capitalizes on a missed punch, and Patton throws knees at Gene. Patton using roughhouse tactics. Gene catches him with a big knee/into a press for the win. This was a real blast. 2 1/2*

Not to look into the bird in the bush but a 20 minute Bock/Wahoo draw sounds awesome. I can't even imagine Gino vs the Sheik either.

Really looking forward to watching the Kiniski match later.

I doubled back and caught the Dundee/Mantel vs Fantastics match by the way and the first 2/3rds of it was insanely action packed. Even the holds seemed frenetic. Moreover, at times there was a sense of danger due to the pole itself that I don't think you see often. There were times where a Fantastic was teetering off of it and it felt dangerous in the same way a cage or scaffold match might. I thought the straight up tag rules made it a little weird (usually you see this sort of thing with texas tornado rules) but it was very enjoyable.

Tully vs Mike Graham

These guys have a history, and it starts off with Mike throwing hands. Tully takes a powder to stall Mike's momentum. Tully grabs an arm and delivers a knee. Mike scapes and ups the tempo, and goes for the Figure 4. We get a quick rope break. Cheap shot by Tully and Tully using all his tricks. Tully already bleeding. Mike revereses only to get his hair pulled. Another hair pull when it looked like Mike might reverse the headlock. A 3rd hair pull and Mike is ready with a hammer lock into an arm drag only for Tully to pull the hair and get the advantage. This is amazing how much Tully is getting out of a hair pull. Tully with a dead leg, and then a knee to the neck. Of course followed up by a 5th hair pull. Mike with a back drop to spark his comeback. Tully suckers him into the corner to shut it down. Tully is the master of the cheapshot. Graham again starts a comeback. Graham works the leg. Graham is hamstringing the shit out of the thigh. Fig 4 is eyeraked away. Graham again working the leg. Tully kicks him in the back, and follows up with an elbow drop. Tully attempts a suplex, but his injured leg gives out. Both guys know the time limit is coming up. a great nearfall off a cross body by Mike gets 2. Both guys clunk their head and we see a small package. Graham gets the Figure 4 as time expires. Gino is out. I thought Tully's was a great heel performance and did a great job of giving Mike opportunities. Tully with 5 hair pulls was tremendous. Their is a lot to like about this match. Though the time limit draw was telegraphed. 3*

Tiger vs Ivan

A little back and forth early.Nice armdrags by Tiger.Ivan roughing up Tiger in the corner. Ivan's size is just too much for Tiger. Ivan goes with a nerve hold and transitions into an arm bar. This isn't a barn burner of a match, but they are telling a pretty basic story. I loved Tiger's hope spot of running the rope. More control by Ivan. Tiger gets the match vertical and uses his boxing for a bit only again to get cut off. Tiger gets one last run and climbs the top rope and hits a missile 2 12*

This was a basic match, but I thought Tiger's selling was done real well. You got behind him on his hope spots. The match was worked in a way that the loser didn't get hurt.

Fantastics vs Shephrders

This is a classic rivalry. The feud that gave the Fantastics an edge of toughness to them. This is a week after the Crockett Cup that Dave Meltzer gave 5* to. We have a grUSA chant even before the bell rings. Sheepherders saluting the New Zeland flag gets big heat. To counter the Fans do the Pledge of Allegiance. Brawl to start. All 4 in the ring. It morphs into a straight tag. Fulton gets a knee in the back. They work over Fulton's back. Roger's has a chair on the floor. Fulton getting his ass handed to him. This is a fight. Fulton just can't make the tag. All 4 men in. What a great finish. Post match beat down . 3 on 2. Terry Taylor makes the save. This sets up the 6 man tags. 3 1/2*

• Loss unpinned this topic