Pro Wrestling Only

NWA On Demand

I'll comment on Bock vs JYD later. What I'll say quickly is that it's the Bock vs JYD match I'd been waiting for. The ones we have up until now range among the most disappointing of Bockwinkel's matches. This, on the other hand, might be JYD's career match and is really a strong vulnerable heel champ match. I'm biased here, though, so let's wait to hear what Pete has to say.

I liked the six man a lot. I thought the beginning was properly chaotic and that it settled into a solid tag with a FIP on Duncum. Manny had a feel like Savage from this era, just more electric than everyone else. Tully and Patton worked well together cutting off the ring and controlling things. I liked it.

Brody vs Patera I liked less. I thought it was structured well and that Patera brought a real presence and credibility but Brody, while basically doing the right things, had all of the trappings of lackluster execution (weak weak offense) that we're used to with him in a lot of his matches. Good on paper, less so in reality. I'm glad we have it though because it's such a conceptual mismatch.

Gordy vs Williams was great. This is one I think we had but never in full and it shouldn't be clipped. So much of the match is set up by Gordy trying to strongarm Williams early on (like he'd do with everyone else) only to hit a brick wall. He had to change up his strategy throughout the match to get any advantage. It's great to see Williams' progression through the matches we have on the service. He was much more complete by this point. It takes a lot for a match to end in a double countout like this but still feel wholly satisfying.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.legitshook.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/nwa-on-demand

I just read some guys review (above) of the NWAonDemand service and did not recommend it at all.

"If you were thinking this would have all these rare classics, you're going to be very disappointed in the service. The vast majority has been easily found online for many years, and is edited or short TV matches".

"You're not going to be getting long Flair/Harley/Brisco/Funk classics on this." They should have waited another day.

It's disappointing that more people aren't into it and it seems giving bank details to a 3rd party is putting people off which is a shame since I think the best is yet to come, but clearly people are expecting WAY to much these days.

https://www.legitshook.com/strobogos-wrasslin-potpourri-reviews/nwa-on-demand

I just read some guys review (above) of the NWAonDemand service and did not recommend it at all.

"If you were thinking this would have all these rare classics, you're going to be very disappointed in the service. The vast majority has been easily found online for many years, and is edited or short TV matches".

"You're not going to be getting long Flair/Harley/Brisco/Funk classics on this." They should have waited another day.

It's disappointing that more people aren't into it and it seems giving bank details to a 3rd party is putting people off which is a shame since I think the best is yet to come, but clearly people are expecting WAY to much these days.

That's about as ridiculous a review of the service as one could write.

Bock vs JYD

The crowd is hot for JYD. I love Heenan diving over the top rope to get away from the dog. Love Bock stalling early. Bock roughing him up early. I like Bock cheating while blocking the ref. JYD teases his strength. JYD taking it to Bock, and a giant thump later and the dog gets the 1st fall.

The 2nd fall JYD focusing on the back and Boesch is getting the story over. I'm loving the Kozac/Heenan interaction. Bock evens it up with the piledriver.

The 3rd fall and it's for all the marbles. Bock is all over JYD. JYD reverses the piledriver. JYD back to the back with a Russian Leg Sweep. A double head knocker. JYD with a running punch that looked really nasty. Abdominal stretch by the dog. JYD goes back to the big thunp. Heenan takes an incredible bump off a JYD headbutt.. 3 1/4*

I thought this was smartly worked. Bock laid this out so smartly. It highlighted all of JYD's strengths. Worked Heenan into the mix spot on. I liked the story of JYD working the back. This was good stuff.

I just listened to the 'History in the Making' podcast by Matt Farmer and Court Bauer on Houston Wrestling.

This was not good. They barely mention any feuds or famous matches, they got dates wrong, it was mainly a behind the scenes type conversation. They didn't even mention NWAonDemand once which I couldn't believe. If they saw some of the matches it would have helped them alot in discussing guys like Gino, Chavo, Bock, Wahoo etc.

I would recommend listening to Peter Birkholz (Boesch's nephew) on the 605pod. He was terrific and had some great stories.

http://605pod.com/2016/09/08/episode-42-cornette-co-host/

(Look for the timestamps)

The 1/2/81 card is complete.

I thought it was missing the battle royal but apparently it was already on the site with the wrong date and found this message on the '2 Ring Battle Royal' match.

This video bears a title with an incorrect date (January 4, 1980). January 4, 1980 is the date of an earlier 2-ring Battle Royal also featuring Andre the Giant. The January 4, 1980 Battle Royal has not been published on our service yet.

Leon vs Bugsy wasn't so bad. I thought Bugsy had pretty interesting power offense and good mannerisms. Leon had some interesting stuff when it came to counters and shine. Total mismatch though and it died with the holds. I'd like to see Leon against different opponents.

Casey vs Gino was very good. It felt like a really solid TV studio match down to the non-finish and set up for future matches.

Ivan vs Ramos was brutal. Would Ramos vs Crusher Blackwell have been fun in this era or what? I liked the opening exchanges actually. They were going at it well, but then it died a horrible death with the babyface Putski chinlock. I can't even imagine what the Bockwinkel match from 81 between them will look like. Putski's cardio is astoundingly bad.

Nick or anyone else: is the 1/2/81 card the first with the Southwest talent? If you look at the last card in 80, there's not a lot of overlap and Lewin and some other 1980 mainstays are gone moving forward. This was the first time Tully and Casey were there in a few years, etc. If you're going to do a big booking change, it makes sense to do it at the start of a new year and with Andre on the card to get people in the building to see it.

Nick or anyone else: is the 1/2/81 card the first with the Southwest talent? If you look at the last card in 80, there's not a lot of overlap and Lewin and some other 1980 mainstays are gone moving forward. This was the first time Tully and Casey were there in a few years, etc. If you're going to do a big booking change, it makes sense to do it at the start of a new year and with Andre on the card to get people in the building to see it.

Here is an excerpt from Paul Boesch's book.

"In December 1980, when my lack of communication with Southwest Sports was at a harmful impasse, I was approached by Southwest Championship Wrestling.This was the same group that had failed to establish a viable, competitive promotion in Houston. The meetings led to a cooperative effort. I maintained my independent status as a promoter but I used SWCW as a source of talent.

I also used the television producing facilities which they owned to supplement my own outlet on Channel 39.

And I notified Southwest Sports in Dallas of my decision to end our relationship.

I had given the matter considerable thought and realized that Houston was ready for a change in talent. Our first card of 1981 was an exciting mixture of men from various areas of the country and we got off to a good start. Wahoo still had the magic Houston fans wanted and his experience was a matchmaking gift."

Thanks Nick. One of my favorite things about the service is that it feels that we're able to, almost from just the text of the matches alone, get a sense of the history of the Houston territory.

Looking forward to those Dynamic Duo tags. That September 25 card (only a few days off from when I was born) seems stacked:

Patton vs Pritchard

Robley vs Duncum

A JYD vs Gino singles to set up the tag

Brass Knuckles: Patera vs Manny

Southwest Title: Wahoo vs Slater (Do we even have a Wahoo vs Slater match on tape?)

Bock vs Brody on top for the AWA title

Dynamic Duo vs Mil/Manny

We get 2 refs for this match. On paper this looks like a pretty hot match. Manny and Gino start. Gino eats a couple of arm drags. I love Boesch explaining how Gino is a master of using the ropes to escape. This all Manny early. Tag to Mil, and Gino tags in Tully. The pace gets more deliberate, but the Duo is still shining up the faces. Gino is avoiding Mil , finally they lock up. The heels trick Mil, and start getting heat, and Gino is celebrating like he's a member of the NE Patriots. Mil gets the hot tag to Manny. Manny is on fire. A double team sets up another heat segment. The heels work over Manny. A belly to belly sets up the hot tag. The Duo steal the match by pinning Mil. 3 1/2*

Mil Mascaras promo.

• Loss unpinned this topic