Pro Wrestling Only

Enlighten me on these guys

kingliam

Apologies if this isn't the best place to put this - if it would make more sense somewhere else, do please move it.

So, as I was looking through Youtube, I realised that you could truly disappear down the rabbit hole forever if you wanted to in terms of wrestling. Most wrestlers have some footage readily available, from wrestling legends to indy no-hopers.

With that said, I got thinking about wrestlers I hadn't seen much of. Considering the wrestling knowledge of you guys, I thought it might be best to ask you - what should I be seeking out in terms of certain wrestlers?

I want to keep this fairly general, as I might come back and add to the list. It doesn't have to just be accessible through Youtube, but I'd like relatively easy access to checking out some of these big names if possible.

So, what might be some of the best footage out there to enlighten/interest me with these wrestlers:

Harley Race (I've seen WWF Harley a fair bit, and him against Flair - what should be go to other than that?)

Nick Bockwinkel (seen so little)

The Blackjacks (I don't even know if these are meant to be any good, but I've never seen anything from them, tag or single)

Crusher Blackwell (seen a bit more from him, more interested as to what might be considered his pinnacle)

Thanks guys

My knee-jerk reaction was to inform you that there are threads in this very section for Race, Bock, and Blackwell, but I'll throw out some personal suggestions.

Harley Race vs. Jerry Lawler (Memphis, 12/11/1977)

This is a broadway, so it may be a bit long-winded for some, but it's one of my favorite examples of Race as touring NWA World Heavyweight Champion. Since it does go a full hour, you get to see everything Race had to offer in that role. Maybe a better rec would be his match with Andre from NWA Classics. It's shorter and completely different, but just as epic in terms of vibe.

I'd also suggest Race's matches with Rick Martel. They had one in Portland that was a title defense, and another years later in AWA with no title on the line that may be even better.

You'll want to watch every Nick Bockwinkel match you can find. He's The Master. The feuds with Lawler, Hogan, or Hennig are good places to start.

Jerry Blackwell is another case where you might as well watch everything you can find, since there's not a whole lot out there. My favorites are one-offs against Lawler, Hansen and Funk, but his best stuff is probably his run as a heel in AWA.

I got nothing on The Blackjacks.

My knee-jerk reaction was to inform you that there are threads in this very section for Race, Bock, and Blackwell, but I'll throw out some personal suggestions.

Ah, that's a fair point. Apologies. Funnily enough, my initial desire for this thread had been to post JUST about the Blackjacks, yet it then spiralled into something more than that as I posted.

Thanks for suggestions.

I don't know much about Blackjack Lanza, but in the clipped Mid Atlantic footage out there, Blackjack Mulligan really looks like a larger-than-life charismatic superstar with great presence, similar to Junkyard Dog or Dusty Rhodes.

I think I got interested when I started reviewing 1984 stuff and one of the Blackjacks, probably Mulligan, was picked as a mystery partner/opponent for a guy. I'd literally never seen him in action.

There's footage of Lanza with a really young Heenan from Chicago in the 60s, the Fred Kohler promotion but I think from when Vince Sr was running it.

There is also Blackjacks from 70s AWA footage. And from WWF. Heenan was always associated with them, but I think Captain Lou in New York.

Lanza and Mulligan worked singles around the place more than you'd expect.

For Race, see my microscope thread.