Pro Wrestling Only

Jim Breaks vs. El Dandy

ohtani's jacket

Jim Breaks or El Dandy  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Who has more impact?

• Jim Breaks
    • El Dandy

Parv mentioned in a recent podcast that Dandy didn't have the immediate impact for him that a guy like Jim Breaks did. I have a vested interest in this since Breaks and Dandy are two of my all-time favourite guys and both had a huge impact on me the first time I saw them. But I wonder who impressed others more.

If you've never seen them before, try for yourself.

Here's Breaks in one of Parv's favourite matches of his:

And here is Dandy vs. Satanico from 1990:

Are there even 10 wrestlers with more immediate impact than Breaks? Aside from his heel act he also has the advantage that his matches are filmed in small intimate locations with the audio being mixed well. Dandy was a technical wrestler/brawler but doesn't have any shtick or attention grabbing mannerisms. I think Breaks vs. Casas or Breaks vs. La Parka would be the better comparison.

I've seen at least 6 hours of Dandy matches, probably more than that really. I've seen 2 hours or less of Breaks. But Breaks takes this and rather handily. I keep watching Dandy trying to see what other people see in him. I "got" Jim Breaks immediately.

El Dandy at his 1990 peak was as good as any wrestler I've ever seen. He could fly, brawl or work the mat with equal mastery and slide comfortably up and down the rudo-tecnico continuum. I like Breaks quite a bit as both a heel character and an excellent technician. He'll be top 50 at worst on my GWE list. But I've never watched one of his matches and thought I might be looking at the best ever.

El Dandy at his 1990 peak was as good as any wrestler I've ever seen. He could fly, brawl or work the mat with equal mastery and slide comfortably up and down the rudo-tecnico continuum.

I really do wish I could understand where you and others are coming from on this, but I really don't see it. Perhaps part of wider disconnect from lucha, but who knows.

Breaks for me is one of the most natural heels ever and this cam be obvious from just one match. Character work 10/10.

El Dandy at his 1990 peak was as good as any wrestler I've ever seen. He could fly, brawl or work the mat with equal mastery and slide comfortably up and down the rudo-tecnico continuum.

I really do wish I could understand where you and others are coming from on this, but I really don't see it. Perhaps part of wider disconnect from lucha, but who knows.

Breaks for me is one of the most natural heels ever and this cam be obvious from just one match. Character work 10/10.

It's fine. You watched the matches. They didn't hit your sweet spot. Nothing to be done about it.

This is incredibly tough. I'm inclined to side with El Dandy because I love what I've seen of his vintage footage, but Jim Breaks is amazing.

Also, if anyone cares: the poll allows you to cast a vote with both guys being selected. It's obviously not a big issue or anything, but maybe something to keep in mind when creating the next poll.

El Dandy at his 1990 peak was as good as any wrestler I've ever seen. He could fly, brawl or work the mat with equal mastery and slide comfortably up and down the rudo-tecnico continuum. I like Breaks quite a bit as both a heel character and an excellent technician. He'll be top 50 at worst on my GWE list. But I've never watched one of his matches and thought I might be looking at the best ever.

These are exactly my thoughts.

However, as far as impact goes, Breaks hit me right away. I was also much older and more mature in my wrestling tastes, while I have basically known Dandy for almost as long as I have been a fan. But Breaks was one of those guys whose name you can barely recognise and then you see how good he is and wonder what else have you been missing.

I've seen at least 6 hours of Dandy matches, probably more than that really. I've seen 2 hours or less of Breaks. But Breaks takes this and rather handily. I keep watching Dandy trying to see what other people see in him. I "got" Jim Breaks immediately.

See, that's interesting. When I first got a bunch of 1989 & '90 El Dandy, I immediately thought "yeah, this guy's the man," so it's hard for me to imagine anyone having a disconnect with him. I would actually credit that impact with me wanting to dive into lucha completely whereas with WoS it was Myers and Grey and then Rocco and Jones who sparked my interest in the stuff.