Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-08-09-WWF-Boston, MA] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts

Superstar Sleeze

Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts - WWF Boston 8/9/86

They wrestled a totally different match this go around and one that I thought is pretty unique overall. Jake Roberts is definitely a low risk, conservative type wrestler. He does not have much in the way of flashy moves or bumps. He bides his time and measures the moment. He transformed this into a really interesting strategy of blocking Steamboat's chops at every turn. This frustrated the Dragon and stymied his uptempo game. The Snake played into the dickishness by reminding everyone how smart he is for formulating this strategy. There were times where it looked like Steamboat would be able to goad him into his game like a quick slugfest or a criss cross but both times Jake remembered his game plan and refused to be suckered into it. Jake planned on leveraging this counterwrestling strategy by attacking the arm, which would negate the chop. Overall, this was a much better plan than his last outing in the Garden, which was high-risk counterwrestling waiting for the right time to use Steamboat's momentum against him. Eventually, Steamboat was able to break down Jake's defenses, I think the best example was when Jake went block high and Steamboat hit low to set up a chop flurry. Steamboat really started to get on a roll. I thought this paid off the first part of the match perfectly. Then they upped the ante when Steamboat hit his left hand on the post going for a chop. What a perfect transition! What ensued is why I love pro wrestling. Steamboat milking the hand injury for all its worth. Jake giving into his tortuous inclinations. He was smashing that hand into everything and working it over. It was just awesome. Steamboat trying to use other body parts come back, but Jake going right back to the hand. Jake The Snake wanted to choke Steamboat and this was his flaw when he deviated from his game plan. It led to Steamboat snapping Roberts' throat over the top rope. I liked the symmetry there. Steamboat basically fought back with one hand in a really thrilling comeback where he hurled Roberts into the barricade and table. I am really liking violent Ricky The Dragon. I really liked the Snake's selling. Steamboat continued his barrage even hitting his big karate flying chop. I did think the finish was a misstep. Roberts sent The Dragon into the ref and then got two visual pins on the Dragon, short arm clothesline and then gutbuster before Roberts frustrated with no ref was rolled up for the loss. I feel like the finish does no one any favors. If the plan was to advance Jake The Snake up a rung to face, Hogan, which I think he earned with these great performances then just let him win, don't make slip on the banana peel and even a loss would not kill him. How does that help Steamboat who is trying to gain revenge and all he gets is a roll up. On top of that, Jake still gets to plant him with a DDT. This was a very protected finish for Jake The Snake. I usually don't let booking cloud my judgment of a match, but even just on face value, it is a very unsatisfying finish. Really badass and unique stuff in this match and up until the finish an absolute classic. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [1986-08-09-WWF-Boston, MA] Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts
  • 2 years later...

The epitome of what everyone's talking about when they call Jake the "master of psychology". Two outstanding storytellers using what came before in their feud to hit an absolute home run.

Loved the first act of Jake being ready for Steamboat's chops and how they didn't burn through it too quickly. Jake blocked them over and over, taking breathers outside the ring whenever Steamboat started to gain some momentum by sneaking a hit in. The payoff worked wonderfully, leading to Steamboat unleashing all of his frustration on Jake, sending him outside, leading to the second portion of him accidentally smashing his left hand into the steel post.

Loved this transition coming from Steamboat being too aggressive, leaving his gameplan to go crazy on the outside, only for Jake to bide his time and take advantage of Steamboat's frenzy. Jake's hand/arm work was tremendous, smashing it whenever possible, like when Steamboat left his hand open while putting on a hold. This also allowed Steamboat to be creative and specific in his always top notch selling. 

The final portion began with the ref stopping Jake from using wrist tape, leading to Steamboat hitting his trademark offense, only for Jake to knock the ref out and take advantage of the disruption to his own specialties (minus the DDT). He gets a visual pin, goes to wake the ref up, but Steamboat rolls him up from behind for the wind. Jake sneak attacks with a DDT after the match, and is just about to lay Damien on top of Steamboat when Ted Arcidi and Dick Slater make the perfectly timed save.

Loved the ending, specifically because of where it fits into the context of this feud. This is the last match they had in Boston, but later this month they had their blowoff at The Big Event (snake pit match). Steamboat gets a clean win. It's a roll up from behind, but Jake pushed him into the ref earlier just as Steamboat was on the verge of victory. Steamboat got the win in the Boston blowoff and was clearly going to win even if Jake didn't cause a ref bump. Jake gets visual pinfalls and a post-match attack to keep him strong and the feud alive for Toronto. Boston fans would have been able to see that match on VHS a few months later, almost like saving the actual blowoff for a PPV in years to come. 

Unfortunately this is peak Jake in terms of WWF workrate feuds, but I'll be curious to see more of his thoughtful match layouts as I continue watching this era. And Steamboat soon transitions to Savage which should showcase even more variety as he uses the throat as his selling focal point.