Pro Wrestling Only

Freelancer Booking Revisions

LowBlowPodcast

Hey fellas,

As we approach the new year, we need to address the Freelance Booking. From the onset of the project, freelancer booking was handled by an individual promoter for the month. I figured this would be a good time to address some revision to freelance booking.

I think the program itself works well, this is just a way to get everyone on the same page along with figuring out who will be booking for the couple of months and who the freelance talent will be.

First thing, who would like to having booking responsibilities?

Rainmaker has got January but we have the rest of the months to fill.

Please respond to this post if you'd like your name to be put in the proverbial hat for someone who'd like to take booking responsibilities. Please don't feel like you have to do this. I know some people don't have as much access as others and this can be quite the responsibility. Again, if you'd like to undertake it, respond here.

Secondly, we need to figure out who the freelancers will be.

I think we are safe with these guys...

Andre the Giant

Bruiser Brody

Abdullah the Butcher

Mil Mascaras

Stan Hansen

But The Sheik has no records of working in 1984. Is it safe to say he is out of the world of wrestling or would we like to continue to use him?

Another name to look at is Terry Funk. Funk returns to bookings in November of 1984 for a couple of weeks before going to Japan and then returning almost full time in 1985. We will need to address his return to the world of wrestling at that time and if we want to just utilize him as a freelancer so he can be used by everyone since that's the way he did things.

We also have the...

The Minis

Little Tokyo

Cowboy Lang

Lone Eagle

Tiny Tom

Little Coco

Chili Bowl

Butch Cassidy

The Haiti Kid

Sonny Boy Hayes

Tiger Jackson

I am in no way a mini expert, so we will need some research on if there are any new ones or ones that retired in 1984.

Then we have...

The Women

The Fabulous Moolah

Princess Victoria

Velvet McIntrye

Debbie Combs

Donna Day

Wendi Richter

Judy Martin

Penny Mitchell

Susan Star

Joyce Grable

Leilani Kai

Sherri Martel

Madusa Micelli

Now we have some additional women like Medusa and Sherri. Should they be thrown in here for the women?

So please respond to the post with your opinions on...

1. Would you like to be added to the freelance booking team and be in charge for a month of freelancer bookings drawn at random?

2. What is your view on the Sheik and being used in 1984?

3. What is your view on Terry Funk being added in to freelancers in November of 1984 and your thoughts on using him in 1985?

4. Thoughts on adding Medusa and Sherri to the women freelancers if they are undrafted?

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get back in the swing of things.

I would prefer not to be in charge of free lancers. My computer skills are lacking but if you are short I will give it a go.

Sheik should be out

Funk can be a free lancer in November but I think he should be in the 1985 Fresh Face Draft

If nobody drafts Medusa and Sherri in the 1984 fresh face draft, they should go into the women's group

I would prefer not to be in charge of free lancers. My computer skills are lacking but if you are short I will give it a go.

Sheik should be out

Funk can be a free lancer in November but I think he should be in the 1985 Fresh Face Draft

If nobody drafts Medusa and Sherri in the 1984 fresh face draft, they should go into the women's group

Same as this for me...

Sheik should be out

Agreed

I can book them for a month sometime to help spread the workload

Just want to bump this one more time...

Those of us who will be doing months so far...

LowBlow

Dex

Those who won't

Boon

Kevin

Those we need to hear from

Jhawk

NWATerritorySuperfan

Pwsony

rain

gene (Although he books the World Champion which may be enough on his plate to get started)

Please post your stuff on here so we can get this going for February and so on.

I wouldn't mind doing it a month here and there. Doing it in December was fun.

Also remember the NWA World Tag Team Champions Chavo & Mando Guerrero are available for bookings (a thread I'll be starting momentarily) for those of you in NWA-affiliated promotions.

I figured would could just do the loop...

February - Low Blow

March - Dex

April - Rain

May - Jhawk

June - Boon

July - Low Blow

August - Dex

Sept - Rain

October - Jhawk

November - Boon

December - Low Blow

The loop would continue and if a new person were to come in, we would insert them after Boon if they'd like to run the freelancers and the list would move forward accordingly.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

With there being some apprehension about the 1985 fresh face draft, how would people feel about putting in the freelancers to the draft?

I know it would kind of stink for individuals who wouldn't be able to book some of the big names, while it would pump the draft up.

I am good on the topic either way as I see value in both. it would be a short term way to bolster rosters and hype with the draft, while also causing some long term issues with people not getting a chance to use those names down the line.

Now on the flip side, some people could still book out talent if they got them. For instance, if Andre was in the WWF, I would still book him out to other promotions as a freelancer even though I retained the full rights to him. Almost taking full control of his freelance bookings.

I think they should be part of the draft. If we look at our rosters from a year ago, they are almost completely different so even if you do draft one of the big names, it is not to say they will stay with you for the duration. In the past months almost all of the World Champs have changed hands...Hogan, Bockwikle, Lawler, Race. Also, almost ll of us are good at sharing talent requested by others.

It would give juice to the draft and I think now they are being used only as special attractions. Some of them deserve more than that.

I disagree with it leaving anyone out in the cold. By adding the 5 main freelancers and all the major women who you would now need on your roster, the draft becomes 3-4 rounds deep. You would enhance Portland with 3 or 4 quality wrestlers. By leaving the free lancers out there, you are not guaranteed dates with them and your roster might get 1 or 2 quality wrestlers. Also looking at the freelancer bookings since May, there were 600 chances to use maybe 5 of the best wrestlers of the time yet they were booked only 84 times and actually used in a show less than 1/2 of those times. That means they were used on average of 0.5 times per week. If they were actually on a roster, it cold go up to as much as 3 to 4 times.

I think the only person who was brave enough to put a belt on any of them was the AWA with Stan Hansen and I understand why. If Hansen hasd the AWA title and came to Memphis, Lawler could walk out with the strap.

You may say that my opinion is slanted as I have the #1 pick. If the freelancers are included in the 1985 draft, I will trade out of that number one spot. I understand that sometimes we have to do what's the best for others in the game and adding 5-10 quality names (including the women) might be best.

I agree with Kevin here, I don't see how this leaves anyone out in the cold. Every draft we do here always is a good addition to your roster. And with time, you'll build your roster to your liking.

I'm for adding in the freelancers into the draft. There is so much loaning and sharing of talent here, I don't see it being a problem.

I don't have any problem with this option. Everyone is willing to collaborate with every territory so truth be told, it doesn't change many things. Instead of asking whoever's in charge of freelance booking to book a talent, you just ask the territory who drafted the freelancer if you can use him. It's not that big of a difference to me.