Pro Wrestling Only

6:05 Superpodcast Episode #8 - Hang In There

Bix

The-Thing-Brian-Carr.jpg

http://605pod.com/2016/01/14/605-episode-8-hang-in-there/

David Bixenspan and The Great Brian Last embark on another edition of the 6:05 Superpodcast to ruminate on a number of topics including:

• The ridiculous history of "pro wrestling legend" The Hangman/Bruce Pobanz.

• Japanese wrestling magazines in general including some new ones that Bix just got.

• The amazing tale of the giant pro wrestler who worked as a bodyguard for drug runner Jon Roberts from Cocaine Cowboys and American Desperado.

• Listener requests.

And much more, including some of The Hangman's most notable colleagues.

Follow us on Twitter at @davidbix and @GreatBrianLast. To support the show, please consider using our Amazon referral link, a PayPal donation, or becoming a Patreon patron. Subscribe using our Feedburner feed URL or the links below, which include our iTunes link.

quick searching around Google helped me find that Bruce Pobanz ran for office in 2012. Bruce and his wife ran for separate positions ("posts") on the Brunswick-Glynn County Joint Water and Sewer Commission. Bruce finished 4th of 4 candidates with 5% (1299 votes). His wife finished 3rd of 10. If Bruce was actually a wrestler, you could add him to a list of wrestlers to run for office and lose (Eddie Gilbert, Lawler, Nikolai Volkoff)

Bix, if your big article next week is even tangentially related to your Hogan/Gawker stuff, I'm never going to trust you again.

Only the most tangential connection. Something related to the Hogan stuff got me doing the research that led to it, but it's not about that at all.

Bix, if your big article next week is even tangentially related to your Hogan/Gawker stuff, I'm never going to trust you again.

Only the most tangential connection. Something related to the Hogan stuff got me doing the research that led to it, but it's not about that at all.

Is it related to figuring out how THERMOSES keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold?

Is it related to figuring out how THERMOSES keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold?
Noooooooooo.

The old British guy from SWS was Roy Wood, who was a Billy Riley / Wigan catch wrestler. Kazuo Sakurada (the Japanese Kendo Nagasaki) and KY Wakamatsu went down to the old gym to learn the style and were trained by Wood. He was later brought to Japan as a guest teacher in the dojo.

This is an awesome story: http://www.snakepitwigan.com/history/

Other visitors, included Mr. Watamatzu and Mr Sakurada from SWS company who visited the original Riley’s gym. They were so passionate about the club and its value that they saw the disrepair, one of them in fact cried, and pictures were taken of them holding up the gym roof. They even offered money to renew the building. It would seem that recognition for Wigan Catch wrestling was more recognised in Japan than England. Roy then took them to Aspull and they watched how, with ease, Roy naturally switched from freestyle back to his roots and the sport of his preference, Catch. SWS watched in awe and three weeks later they returned with a contract for Roy to go to Japan teaching this almost forgotten art. The coaching then led to an ultimate bout in Yokohama arena with Roy wrestling his opponent. SWS valued Roy’s skill and knowledge so much that they offered him further work but as a family man and the owner of a local business Roy chose to return to Wigan.

VWA was around during the time when I was just getting smartened up though I did talk to the promoter David Leehy on the phone around this time. While he did have a "wandering eye" so to speak from what I recall I think his marriage broke up after VWA was done and I never heard of him "running off" with anyone. In fact as of a couple years ago he was still working the same factory job as he had in the early 90s. I don't recall the specifics around why VWA shut down other than the usual money/stress issues of running a promotion. I attemped to contact David via Facebook a few years ago & never heard back. I was trying to get a hold of some of the Stan Lane/Jeff Collett as VA Midnight Express stuff. He would probably be late 50s by now & would have grown kids. Looks like he does Civil War reenactments based on his FB pics.

Jeff Collett was one of the few VWA guys who got out & made a semi-name in the area as I think he worked in the dying days of SAPW. He had Bells Palsy or something in recent years but did return to the ring & made a few appearances 3-5 years ago. Johnny Ringo's widow recently set up a VWA page on Facebook.