Pro Wrestling Only

On the subject of wrestlers physical appearance

Loss

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest savagerulz

I really wouldn't consider ECW's title a world title. I think only the WWF/E, WCW, NWA, and the AWA until 1990 qualify.

ECW was a world title. They shit on the NWA title, which not only makes me laugh but keeps up with the honored wrestling tradition of fucking over the NWA to make your own title count. They had national television and bad ass booking at the main event level. They were known, used more international talent than the bigs did, and had a working agreement with promotions in Japan. Also, the big two (WCW and WWF) went out of their WAY to use ECW's talent and ideas, further highlighting how influential they were in the wrestling world. If the AWA title at the end of their pitiful run was a world title (which is anytime after 1987), ECW was a world title at their height most certainly.

Austin - 6'0"

HHH - 6'2"

Rock - 6'3"

Undertaker - 6'6" or 6'7"

Flair - 5'11"

HBK - 5'11"

Hart - 5'10"

Jericho - 5'9"ish

Benoit - 5'8"

Eddy - 5'7"

Misterio - 5'3"

The rule in kayfabe is this: take off 2 to 3 inches of the (worked) height of a wrestler and minus about 20 to 30 pounds (from their kayfabed weight) and you'll more than likely get their actual height and weights.

Vince McMahon himself goes around 6'0" to 6'1" (legit) so I could see where his "I can't be able to kick the crap out of this guy so I'll make him champ" mentality that he's had with smaller wrestlers. Hogan is a legit 6'4" and there's no way in hell Vince could have ever hoped to kick Hogan's big ass (it's not like Vince ever trained in MMA or anything).

Guest savagerulz

I don't see how you can call ECW's title a world championship when they barely promoted outside of NY/PA and occiasionally FL.

ECW then was no more a world title than ROH is now.

It's something the Apter mags used to fret over. Back in the territory days, the WWA title (which was mostly a California one) claimed world title status and had it for the most part.

Here's my personal parameters of a world title:

1. If you run at least three shows a week and tour,

2. Have some kind of national television presence,

3. ...and don't totally blow as a promotion your champ can be a "world champ."

Under this definition, TNA doesn't qualify because they don't run enough shows. The old AWA does qualify. ECW does, too. The NWA since WCW started did to an extent (when the NWA champ toured what was left of the NWA spots). Who else? Probably some Jap and Mex promotions...but it's like real sports. Who the fuck cares what they do overseas?

As for who held the belt helping define world title status...I don't think there's a belt in wrestling that hasn't been held by one guy that shouldn't have even been in the building putting cakes in the urinal, much less be a champion of anything. It's the nature of the beast. Looking at the list of any belt's champions is usually a sad thing, esp. in the last 10 years.

The thing is, that the NWA champion still defends the belt in different NWA promotions. Hell, JJ won the belt from Raven in D'Amore's promotion up in Ontario.

Just because TNA doesn't tour doesn't mean the NWA title shouldn't have world title status.

Guest Famous Mortimer

During his Big Evil the Red devil phase Taker had his best matches with smaller opponents, WHICH HE SOLD FOR. During his hardcore title run he had a great match with RVD. Taker hadnt been sellling or even coming close to putting anybody over in awhile. While beating RVD takers reaction following the match was his "crazy old man stare". This became his form of selling while not holding his ribs in pain or something like that, Taker would appear winded and worn out with a "what the fuck did I jus go through" look on his face. When he wanted to put over his opponent hed give em a "damn son" type looking.Physically stating that his opponent had taken him to the limit. This was showcased again and at its best in the summer of '02, There was a RAW MAIN EVENT when Taker was WWE heaveyweight champ. His opponent was Jeff Hardy. At this point Hardy was still farily over and dont forget, everybody used to think hed be the breakout hardy boy. Jeff Hardy was dangerous not because of his size but because of his crazy moves and risk taking. He had a unique persona and could take a beating. He was not overly muscular or imposing. The match in question was a ladder match. Once again these factors have been booked to make Hardy look strong, enhancing his strengths, and not his weknesses (size, weirdness etc) In this bout Taker once again used his "crazy old man stare" and "damn son" look of acknowledgement. IIRC the crowd was behind Hardy 100% and while the pessemistic and cynical smarks mightve not bought it, from a wrestling match standpoint it was credible. In the end Taker won but once again gave Hardy mad respect thus putting him over in his own Undertaker way. Takers not one to commend to many opponents after the match but Hardy was one. Correct me if Im wrong but he even shook his hand or raised his arm or something. If the both the fans and the company are behind them then most wrestlers Taker included would put them over jus like he did for Austin and others

Here's all you needed to know about the Hardy-Taker ladder match, and you can read my old Raw recaps on TSM to prove it. I went into that ladder match thinking, "Yeah right, like Hardy can beat Taker." By the time that match ended, even I thought Hardy might just take it for a cup of coffee. The story of the match was that good.
Thank god there are other people out there who love this match. It was one of my favourites of the year, storytelling at its best, completely unselfish performance from Taker and Hardy worked his socks off too. Brilliant and dramatic ending.

That's how you book big guys against small guys.

Guest Cam Chaos

Austin - 6'0"

HHH - 6'2"

Rock - 6'3"

Undertaker - 6'6" or 6'7"

Flair - 5'11"

HBK - 5'11"

Hart - 5'10"

Jericho - 5'9"ish

Benoit - 5'8"

Eddy - 5'7"

Misterio - 5'3"

The rule in kayfabe is this: take off 2 to 3 inches of the (worked) height of a wrestler and minus about 20 to 30 pounds (from their kayfabed weight) and you'll more than likely get their actual height and weights.

).

HBK, Benoit, Taker, Jericho, Eddy and Mysterio all have had to use lifts in the boots in the WWE. Same for Kane and the Dudley Boyz. Jericho blamed them for a while as the reason he was sloppy with his Lionsaults when in the WWE, which is part of the reason why he used the double powerbomb to begin with.

Guest Cam Chaos

I think guys in the middle band who are above 6' but less than 6'6" don't have their heights messed with so much. Rock was billed as 6'5" 270" and while I reckon the weight was inflated there was never any reason for his height to be changed.

I just read the offending thread that started this. I think my jaw almost hit the floor during that post. I think the worst part is none of them got the irony of what they were writing and the shit they posted a few weeks early.

Maybe wrestling fans really are as dumb as the sterotypes.

Fans will never get it. After reading that Trevor Murdoch thread and then seeing today that the DVDVR guys are bitching and calling AJ Styles a pussy because he cancelled for RoH due to his busted lip.

I'm starting to think the fans might really be just as big a problem with wrestler deaths.