• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

XL1ejom.jpg?1

8/5/1984: WTBS

9:35-10:35

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer hypes up tonight’s show but says that before we get to the ring, we are going to show you a short video tape from the locker room after last week’s World Championship Match between Jerry Lawler and Dusty Rhodes in which Gary Hart’s Family attacked both Lawler and Rhodes and more specifically, the Iron Sheik punished Jerry Lawler in the Camel Clutch.

Jerry Lawler: Dusty, I know that we have not been on the same page of late. I know that I have not always been on the side of right here in the USWA but we must come together. We can’t let these foreigners with towels on their heads or paint on their faces put down this land of ours.

Dusty Rhodes: You got that right baaaby. We have had some dozy along the way. You one tough rascal. I give you that but together, the Dream and the King can stop anybody. I know we both bleed right, white and blue and from now on we got each other’s backs.

The video ends with the fans roaring at the apparent attitude change of Lawler and the unison of two of the best in the business.

After Bill Mercer hypes up the video, The Fabulous Freebirds come to the interview desk.

Michael Hayes: “We are sick and tired of the Fabulous Ones. They call themselves World Champs but all they do is cheat. They know they can’t beat the Freebirds so the trick the stupid referees here in Texas each and every match. I mean just look at those little punks. They can’t beat us. Look at Bam Bam! Look at Buddy Jack! (Who by the way is wearing his head gear which he claims is a result of the dirty tricks of the Fab Ones.)

All of a sudden the crowd explodes as Fritz walks out to the interview desk. This is his first appearance on TV in weeks after being sent to the hospital by the Freebirds.

Michael Hayes: Well, well looky here. It is none other than Fruit Loops Von Erich. I mean after we beat him silly, his brain don’t work anymore.

Fritz Von rich: Shut Up Hayes! I am out here tonight to deliver a message from the USWA Board of Directors and this goes against everything I stand for. You are still considered the number one contenders for the World Tag Team Title.

Terry Gordy: Of course we are! I mean nobody can walk down Bad Street and get out without taking a whooping. We are not like some of those other teams around here who care more about dancing and shaking their moneymakers. We are BONE-BREAKERS!

Fritz Von Erich: Well, again, like I said, this goes against my best wishes but you are receiving a World Title shot right here tonight.

Buddy Roberts: OH Yea! Keirn and Lane shine up those belts. They are coming home to where they belong.

Fritz Von Erich: Well you better win tonight as this is your last title shot for long while. If you don’t win tonight, the USWA will name a new number #1 contender for those belts. And, umm, by the way. Somehow, you low life scum must have some pull in the USWA. They have listened to you whine and cry about the referees here in the USWA and tonight there will actually be 2 referees. One inside the ring and one outside the ring! Now get out of here or by God, I will make sure this match does not go on.

Even though Hayes has been crying about the referees, you can see he is not excited to now have two of them.

Bill Mercer welcomes Fritz back and tells him that he should pick the name out of the hat for the gauntlet match which is up next. Before Fritz pulls the name out, Mercer reminds us that Jake “The Snake” Roberts is going for his third straight win and if he gets to five, he will get a World Title Shot!

Fritz reaches in and pulls out ………. Dusty Rhodes. The crowd explodes.

Gary Hart rushes out and says that he thinks this is all rigged and are we supposed to belief that out of all the wrestlers in World Class, you just happened to pull out the American Dream?

Fritz Von Erich: You have two choices Hart. Get Jake Roberts in the ring now or forfeit the Gauntlet Glove.

The fans love that Fritz is back and keeping the riffraff in line.

CMZwt5R.jpg?5

GAUNTLET MATCH:

JAKE “THE SNAKE” ROBERTS VS “THE AMERICAN DREAM” DUSTY RHODES

As you would expect, the fans carry Dusty to an early advantage but Gary Hart is able to reach into his bag of dirty tricks to help Jake out. After about 5 minutes with the advantage, Roberts connects with a nasty DDT. The ref counts 2 ¾ and the crowd can’t believe Rhodes kicked out. Neither can Roberts who picks up Rhodes and goes for a body slam but Rhodes blocks it. Not once but twice. Roberts hits Rhodes with a huge right hand but Rhodes stands up a little taller. Again, another right hand and Rhodes stands up taller. Another right and Rhodes starts to shake with anger.

Bill Mercer: “Strong right by Roberts but Rhodes just shrugs it off. Not even shrugs it off, he acts as if he were attacked by a gnat that has intruded into his space. Rhodes now goes on the attack. Right hand after right hand, Rhodes is taking Roberts to Woodshed City. Holy Cow, look at Dusty go! Bionic elbow to the skull of Roberts. Roberts is down. Rhodes grabs him by his hair and lifts him up for the Piledriver!

WHAM!!! Dusty connects and covers Roberts for the 1…2…3.

Mercer puts over the fact that Dusty now has the Gauntlet Glove and is just 4 wins away from a World Title shot as the rest of

------------------------------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS------------------------------------------

When we come out of break, Playboy Gary Hart is back at the interview desk and Mercer asks him why he is back again?

Hart: Mr. Bill Mercer, I am in wrestling for one reason. Money! I love to make money. A lot of money! And I love to have wrestlers in my organization make a lot money. Well just now in the locker room, I made A LOT of money. I mean more money than you will make in your entire life.

Bill Mercer: What are you taking about Hart?

Gary Hart: Well, I made a back room deal that will allow me to go out a buy some of the best wrestlers in all of the industry but I had to part ways with possible the best wrestler in all of World Class. I want to inform you that the Iron Sheik will no longer be a member of me stable.

The fans explode with excitement as they believe the Iron Sheik is gone from World Class Wrestling. The Iron Sheik rushes out and starts yelling and screaming about what is going on and how can Gary Hart do this?

Gary Hart: Hold on. Hold on a minute. Sheik, I think you are going to love what has just gone down. I would like to call out your new manager!

There is a gasp from the crowd as all of the wind comes out of their sails as the most hated man in World Class history has reappeared. None other than SKANDAR AKBAR comes out.

aEtDfPK.jpg?1

Skandar Akbar: Well we meet again Bill Mercer. Devastation Inc. is back in business. You have already meet the first member of my organization and I would like to bring out two more members right now.

Wearing two Saudi headdresses, out comes Elijah Akeem and Kareem Muhammed as Akbar introduces the Muslim Connection. Akbar goes on to say that Devastation Inc. will soon rule all of World Class. He explains that the Iron Sheik will soon be the World Champion while the Muslim Express will be the World Tag Team Champs.

Akbar: But one thing at a time. My dear friend Gary Hart was correct. Money can do a lot for a person. I have just bought my way into the World 6 Man Tag Team Tournament and Devastation Inc. is about to show each and every one of you how superior life is in the Middle East compared to America.

SIX MAN WORLD TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT

FIRST ROUND MATCH

DEVASTATION INC with Skandar Akbar

(The Iron Sheik, Elijah Akeem and Kareem Muhammed

VS

BRIAN ADIAS, AL MADRIL AND CHRIS ADAMS

The match is a good back and forth for about 8 minutes when all of a sudden chaos break loose and all 6 men are in the ring. It is here that the size of the Muslim Connection takes over. They just over power Adias and Madril and toss them through the middle rope. It is now 3-1 for a minute and Adams is badly weakened. When ref Bronco Lubich finally restores order it is too late. The Iron Sheik catches the Texas Heavyweight Champion in the Camel Clutch and Chris Adams has no choice but to tap out.

The fans are concerned at how easy Devastation Inc. won that match. They might just be the best team in this 6 man tournament and Akbar’s words may come to fruition.

------------------------------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS------------------------------------------

MATCH: GREAT KABUKI with Gary Hart VS JOE LIGHTFOOT

A quick destruction of Lightfoot by Kabuki proves that Gary Hart’s stable is still very dangerous even after the sale of The Iron Sheik. Kabuki started the match by aweing the fans by spraying the Asian Green Mist and ended it with a nasty thrust kick that almost took the head off of Lightfoot.

MATCH: SWEET BROWN SUGAR vs STEVE SIMPSON

A good match for TV that features two great athletes. Simpson’s power is apparent and Sugar’s agility are constantly put out there for everyone to see. Sugar gained the victory between these two baby faces after a series of missile dropkicks.

Sweet Brown Sugar heads over to the interview desk where he expresses his anger at Brickhouse Brown for stabbing him in the back and breaking up PYT. Bill Mercer reminds Sugar that Brickhouse and his new partner, Norvell Austin are now claiming to be the REAL PYT. Sugar says that this issue is long from over and he can’t wait to get Brickhouse and Austin in the ring.

USWA TAG MATCH

THE FABULOUS ONES VS THE FREEBIRDS (Gordy & Roberts) with Michael Hayes

As the crowd pops with the entrance of the Fab Ones, Bill Mercer reviews how the Fab Ones outsmarted the Freebirds in their last two matches when the Freebirds seemed to confuse Lane and Keirn. Mercer continues by explaining that the Freebirds should he happy with this title match as ref David Manning will be inside the ring and ref Bronco Lubich will be outside the ring to make sure no funny stuff goes on. Even Mercer knows how ridiculous that sounds as it is always the Freebirds bending the rules.

The match is wild and the fans are really into it. The Fab Ones use their quickness to gain control but are soon overpowered by Bam Bam Gordy who begins to toss them around. The end comes with a massive whip into the corner by Gordy on Stan Lane and then he follows it up

with a huge running forearm to the head. Gordy placates to the crowd as Lane is just slumped in the corner. Hayes comes around by Lane but just taunts him and doesn’t touch him.

WHAM!

Somehow, Lane mustard up enough energy to smack Hayes right across the face. Michael Hayes on instinct, turns and smacks Lane. Lane gets up and is furious but seems to have lost focus and walks right into a huge running powerslam by Gordy. Gordy goes for the cover and Buddy Roberts makes sure Keirn can’t make the save.

1…2…3.

Bill Mercer can’t believe it and you tell by his voice that he is none too happy about it as he announces that the Freebirds are once again the World Tag Team Champions.

Ring announcer Marc Lowrence is handing the belts to the Freebirds and is on the microphone announcing the result. Behind him we see Bronco Lubich and David Manning talking. You can see Bronco make a slapping gesture with his hand. David Manning goes to Marc Lowrance and interrupts him. He asks to speak with him off mic.

Marc Lowrence: Due to outside interference by Michael Hayes, the Freebirds have been disqualified. Your winners and still USWA World Tag Team Champions…… The Fabulous Ones.

Bronco Lubich rips the titles out of the hands of the Freebirds and returns them to their rightful owners. Hayes is pleading his case that he was hit first but nobody wants to hear it.

oIZzNRF.jpg?1

Bill Mercer reminds us that we are now in search of new #1 contenders for the World Tag Titles and the Freebirds better focus on the 6 man tag belts. So long from Dallas, Texas.”

As the screen fades to black we see one last promo.

HEART O FAIR COMPLEX IN WACCO, TEXAS

Key Matches include:

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Chris Adams vs Great Kabuki

Brickhouse Brown vs Sweet Brown Sugar

Kevin & Kerry Von Erich vs Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts

Dick Murdoch vs The Iron Sheik

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Jerry Lawler vs Terry Gordy

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

MID-SOUTH WRESTLING: HOUSE SHOW OF THE WEEK

8/5 – Lafayette, – Canjundome

Billy Jack Haynes defeated Johnny Mantell with the Full Nelson

Cowboy Ron Bass defeated Wahoo McDaniel when the ref was knocked down and Black Bart rushed in to help deliver a Spike Piledriver. Bass stole Wahoo’s Native American Headdress as he left the ring.

Big Bad Leroy Brown with Sir Oliver Humperdink and Blackjack Mulligan wrestled to a double count-out as the action spilled out onto the floor. Mulligan was able to drop Brown across the steel barricade and then went after Humperdink who fled in fear of his life.

The Perfect Alliance (Arn Anderson & Beautiful Bobby Eaton) with Baby Doll defeated Mike Graham and Rufus R Jones when Eaton followed up Arn’s Spinebuster with the Alabama Jam.

Buzz Sawyer with Humperdink defeated Tommy Rich by DQ when Humperdink tossed a pair of brass knuckles to Sawyer but Rich intercepted them. Rich didn’t seem to care about the victory and even though ref Pee Wee Anderson begged him not to use them he clocked Sawyer resulting in the DQ. After hitting Sawyer, Rich also went after Humperdink who for the second time tonight ran for his life.

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Fabulous Ones defeated The Sheepherders in a wild one when Butch Miller was about to nail Steve Keirn with a chair but Stan Lane hit a dropkick off the top rope right into the chair which knocked Miller in the head. Lane made sure Luke Williams didn’t make the save as Keirn made the pin. After the match, The Perfect Alliance strutted out to ringside and kind of sized up the Fab Ones . This might be a little premature as they still have not beat the Sheepherders to become the number one contenders.

NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT TITE MATCH (Louisiana Street fight)

Hacksaw Butch with Baby Doll vs JYD

Hacksaw Butch Reed defeated JYD by pin after using a chair. JYD was in control of the match and was about to pin Reed after a THUMP on the concrete floor but Baby Dol rushed in and got in the face of Dog. Dog tried to move here away but she is a big women who needs more than a little push to be moved. JYD got frustrated and shoved her pretty hard the second time but by now Reed was up and he had a chair. WHAM! He must have hit Dog 5 or 6 times with Baby Doll jumping for joy with ach whack! That was enough to get the victory and save his belt.

XL1ejom.jpg?1

HOUSE SHOW OF THE WEEK

8/9/1984 – Wacco, Texas – Fair O Fair Complex

Brian Adias defeats Nick Kiniski by submission with a Oriental Spike at 8:12.

Al Madril defeats Nightmare #1 by submission with a Crucifix at 6:02.

Rocky Johnson defeats Joe Salvoldi with a series of Lightening Dropkicks at 3:58.

Brickhouse Brown defeated Sweet Brown Sugar with a Missile Dropkick after Sugar was distracted by Norvell Austin at 12:31. Rocky Johnson came out after the match to protect Sugar from a 2 on1 attack.

The Iron Sheilk defeated Cpt. America Dick Murdoch with a Camel Clutch after Skandar Akbar interfered at 18:21.

The Freebirds defeated The Von Erichs for the second straight time as again Buddy Roerts used his loaded head gear as a weapon. He connected with a top rope flying headbut on Kevin Von Erich while Michael Hayes held his legs so he couldn’t move. Kerry was unable to come to his brother’s aid as he had just been dumped on the top rope by Terry Gordy while ref David Manning was distracted. Match time 21:43.

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: CHRIS ADAMS VS THE GREAT KABUKI with Playboy Gary Hart

A great match that saw Chris Adam’s get very lucky to escape with his title. The ref was down and Hart had Adam’s shoulder locked. Kabuki went to deliver a Thrust Kick but Adams escaped at the last second and Kabuki caught Gary Hart. Adams quickly nailed Kabuki with his own front kick just as ref David Manning was getting back to his feet. Adams was able to get the victory as the fans erupted.

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: JERRY LAWLER VS TERRY GORDY

A huge battle here between two very talented wrestlers. Lawler did everything he could but could not put Gordy away. Gordy caught Lawler in a piledriver and it looked like we were about to have a new World Champion but for some reason Hayes got up on the apron and the ref stopped his count. Hayes later explained that he was just ready to congratulate Bam Bam and was not interfering in the match so he feels like this is just more bias by the WCCW referees against the Freebirds. Lawler took advantage of this and slammed Gordy’s head into Michael Haye’s head. From here it was a Top Rope Fist Drop followed up by another Royal Piledriver and this time he got the 3 count.

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

USWA WRESTLING: MID-SOUTH

8/11/1984: WTBS

9:05-10:35

TAPED IN SHREVEPORT, LOUISIANA

BhI95rGs.jpg?3

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to Mid-South Wrestling from Shreveport, Louisiana and the Irish McNeil’s Boys Club here on WTBS. I am Jim Ross and my partner and President of Mid-South Wrestling is Cowboy Bill Watts.”

The show starts with Jim Ross showing us a video of an attack in the parking lot after last week’s TV show in which Kevin Sullivan violently attacked Mike Graham as he was leaving the studio. Graham was in the process of being interviewed about threats made by Sullivan that “the sins of the father are the sins of the son. The reporter asked Graham what he thought this meant.

Graham: “Sullivan and my father had a very hostile relationship in Florida and I guess he feels that he is going to get his revenge on my father by coming after me. Well, all I can say is bring it on Sullivan.”

The video shows that this is exactly when Sullivan came from behind and started his viscous attack on Graham. Since there were no other wrestlers or security around, the attack went on for some time. Sullivan actually put Graham’s head through the windshield of a car.

When the video ends, Cowboy Bill Watts says he is sorry for starting off tonight’s show in such a disturbing way but he thought the fans should know just how sick Sullivan is. Watts goes on to explain that Mike Graham was badly injured including a broken orbital bone and a severe concussion. He goes on to say that Graham will be out of action for quite some time and we should all send our prayers out to Mike and his family at this time. Watts then explains that unfortunately Tommy Rich and Billy Jack will now be eliminated from the World 6 man tournament as the rules clearly stated that no substitutions can be made. Watts finishes up by explaining that due to the unpredictable nature of Kevin Sullivan, he is no longer welcome in Mid-South Wrestling. He has been suspended indefinitely. Watts explains that when informed of this decision, Sir Oliver Humperdink was so angry that he also has decided to leave Mid-South Wrestling.

The crowd explodes with the news of Sullivan and Humperdink being out of the Mid-South as Jim Ross gives us a run-down of tonight’s show. Next he informs us that the American Dream Dusty Rhodes defeated Jake Roberts down in World Class Championship Wrestling last week and he is here today to defend the Gauntlet Glove. The crowd pops as Ross asks Watts to pick out of the hat to see who the Dream will be facing tonight…………….

Cowboy Watts: Dusty Rhodes will face Black Bart.

Dusty Rhodes comes out at express how excited he is to be back in Louisiana and he knows there are a lot of snakes in the grass here baaaby and he can’t wait to get rid of one Black Bart.

GAUNTLET MATCH

MATCH: The American Dream Dusty Rhodes vs Black Bart

The match is wild from the get go. Black Bart tries to play it ruff but this is right up Dusty’s ally. The end comes after Rhodes connects with a series of rights followed by a bionic elbow to the head of Bart for the victory.

Bart is getting up as his partner, Cowboy Ron Bass rushes out. It looks like the Outlaws are going to go 2 on 1 against roads but the crowd pops as Wahoo McDaniel hits the ring. We get a nice little donny-brook with the fan favorites left in control of the ring.

As we go to break, Jim Ross hypes the fact that Rhodes is just three matches away from a World Title Shot!

------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS-----------------

As we come out of break, we see Tommy Rich and Billy Jack at the interview desk where they are asked their opinion on being eliminated in such a way from the 6 man tournament and both say it is unfortunate but most important is the health if Mike Graham. Wildfire gets a little amped up here and says that if he ever gets his hands on either Sullivan he will get even for Mike. Rich continues to explain that he will now focus the rest of his energy on taking the actions of the House of Humperdink out on the only one left in Mid-South. Buzz Sawyer!

Jim Ross wishes Rich and Billy Jack luck as the have a match with the nasty Kiniski brothers right now.

MATCH:

Tommy Rich & Billy Jack vs Kelly & Nick Kiniski

The match goes as planned as the fan favorites fight off a few dirty tricks from the Kiniskis and the end comes when Wildfire caught Nick with a Lou Thesz Press.

After the match the crowd is confused as an older Japanese man comes out to the ring and points at Wildfire. By the look on Rich’s face, he obviously knows who this is but is unsure of the meaning of his appearance.

Cowboy Bill Watts, who has been around for a while enlightens us by explaining that is none other Tojo Yamamoto who is one of the most devious wrestlers in the entire country. Watts continues to explain that somehow in the beginning of Wildfire’s career, Yamamoto tricked Rich into thinking he was a good guy and he and Wildfire were a tag team up in Memphis. Many say that Yamamoto took Rich under his wing and trained him.

Jim Ross: Well this could get very interesting. We will have to see the nature of Yamamoto’s visit to Mid-South.

----------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS---------------

Jim Ross says he has exciting news that Mid-South Wrestling has resigned fan favorite Terry Taylor and he says we are going to watch a video of Terry right now.

One of those high-action Mid-South videos set to music is shown featuring numerous highlights of Taylor in the ring and of the girls being all over him with his good looks.

After the video is over, Ross takes us right to the ring for a 6 man tournament match.

MATCH: 6 MAN TAG MATCH

FIRST ROUND OF THE 6 MAN TOURNAMENT

Dutch Mantell, Superstar Dundee and Jimmy Valiant

VS

The Nightmares (Danny Davis. Wayne & Ted Allen)

In a nice showcase of talent from other areas of the USWA, Jimmy Valiant gets the victory offer Nightmare Ted Allen as he clamped in the sleeper hold.

-------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS-----------

MATCH RON BASS VS RUFUS JONES

The match is a good one but Ron Bass takes control after a nasty lariat. The crowd pops as Wahoo McDaniel makes his way out to the ring but Bass never saw him. McDaniel takes his black Cowboy hat and walks over to the interview desk while the match is still going on.

Jim Ross: Well Wahoo, what is going on here?

Wahoo McDaniel: That smelly Cow Dung up there in the ring thinks he can get away with Tar & Feathering me with my own headdress! He has another thing coming.

Wahoo takes out a pair of scissors and walks over to the ring to make sue Bass can see him. He starts to cut that cowboy hat into little pieces.

You can see the stem coming out of the ears of Bass but he never does anything about. He just looks at Wahoo destroy his hat. From out of nowhere, Rufus rolls him up and gets the 1…2…3. Jones gets the upset victory as Wahoo just throws the pieces of the hat up in the air. He then rushes the ring but Bass escapes out the other side and high tails it back to the locker room.

Jim Ross and Cowboy Watts really loved what they saw and hype it up but they get right back to the action as we hear ZZ Topps and Sharpe Dressed Man usher The Fab Ones to the ring.

MATCH: USWA WORLD TAG CHAMPIONS: THE FABULOUS ONES

VS SCOTT & STEVE ARMSTRONG

A nice showcase for the World Champs as they have a nice clean match with the young Armstrongs. The end comes after a Russian Leg Sweep by Stan Lane on Scott Armstrong.

The champs head over to the interview desk were they receive congratulations from Ross and Watts. They are asked who they would rather see become the new #1 contenders for the championship. The Sheepherders or the Perfect Alliance (Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton).

Stan Lane: We are fighting champions and we will face whichever team is declared the top contenders

Steve Keirn: While both teams are good, we are confident that we could beat either one.

Out walks the Perfect 10, Baby Doll

Baby Doll: Did you two tie those bow ties a little tight. Are you out of your minds? First of all, you know you hope the Sheepherders are named the top team because there is no way in the World you could beat my Perfect Alliance.

Stan Lane: (while laughing) I think we would do just fine against your Men? I mean what type of guy sends out a little women to do their talking for them.

Baby Doll: You should know a couple of things Stan Lane. First of all, any man who spends more time on his hair then me is not a real man and never mine beating Arn Anderson and Beautiful Bobby, you couldn’t beat me. You called me a little women. I am looking you eye to eye and I am warning you to watch your step.

Stan Lane: Are you for real?

SLAP…… As Baby Doll slaps him right across the face.

Stan Lane: I will let you get away with that once. I was raised never to hit a women but you are not acting like a women right now.

SLAP…. Baby Doll slaps him again. Stan Lane begins to go after her but from out of nowhere, the entire Perfect Alliance attacks. It is Hacksaw Butch Reed, Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton all over the Fab Ones.

It only lasts a second when JYD hits the scene and evens things up. We have total chaos as we hear Jim Ross says “sorry folks, we are out of time. So long from Shreveport, Louisiana.

SCREEN FADES TO BLACK /PROMO

LAKE CHARLES CIVIC CENTER

Key Matches include:

Wahoo McDaniel Vs Cowboy Ron Bass in an Indian Strap Match

The Fab Ones with JYD vs The Perfect Alliance (Reed, Eaton and Anderson)

Tommy Rich and Billy Jack vs Buzz Sawyer and Abdullah the Butcher

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Jerry Lawler vs Stan Hansen

XL1ejom.jpg?1

8/12/1984: WTBS

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer hypes up tonight’s show but says that before we get to the ring, we need to bring out Fritz Von Erich for a quick message on the World 6 Man Tag Team Tournament.

Fritz Von Erich reviews the first round matches and then shows a board with the brackets revealing the final 8 teams including how their next match up.

QUARTERFINALS

#1 Freebirds (BYE)

#2 The Von Erichs vs #7 Ole Anderson & The Tennessee Studs (Robert Fuller & Jimmy Golden)

#3 Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch & Jerry Lawler vs #6 Devastation Inc. with Skandar Akbar

#4 Dutch Mantell, Bill Dundee & Jimmy Valiant vs #5 Austin Idol, Buddy Landell & Johnny Valiant

Fritz explains that the Freebirds get a bye due to the injury to Mike Graham in the Mid-South and because there are no substitutions allowed, the other members of his team, Tommy Rich and Billy Jack were forced to withdraw.

Bill Mercer really hypes up the tournament and asks when the quarterfinals will begin. Fritz explains that the quarter-finals will actually begin tonight in our main event as his son’s will face Ole Anderson and The TN Studd Stable. Fritz goes on to explain that the finals to crown the first ever USWA 6 Man Tag Team Champions will take place at the Labor Day Parade of Champions.

Mercer asks one last question, “Why are the Freebirds the #1 contenders?

The crowd grips in agreement at the question but before Fritz can answer, the Freebirds are at the interview desk.

Michael Hayes: No bother to answer that question Fruit Loops. We are the number one team because we deserve to be the #1 team. I mean nobody can beat two of us together. Now we will all be together. Girls get ready to take a wild ride down Bad Street with the new champs!

Terry Gordy: You really think Mike Graham is hurt. No way. He was afraid he was going to get hurt.

Buddy Roberts: No other teams but the ones facing us are dropping out. I bet we will take those belts without even a match as the rest of those clowns are just yellow.

Fritz: Alright, Alright, enough in enough. Get out of here before I do something about that #1 seed.

Michael Hayes: Watch yourself Fruit Loops before you end up back in the hospital.

As the Freebirds walk-off, Mercer asks Fritz to pick Dusty Rhode’s opponent in tonight’s Gauntlet Glove Match. Fritz reaches into the hat and pulls out Elijah Akkem.

GAUNTLET MATCH:

“THE AMERICAN DREAM” DUSTY RHODES vs ELIJAH AKEEM with Skandar Akbar

A nice opening bout where Rhodes makes another comeback for the victory. The finish came when Rhodes followed up a Bionic Elbow with a nasty Piledriver.

Bill Mercer puts over the fact that Dusty is now just 2 wins away from a World Title shot. He also amps up the 6 Man Tag Match between these two teams in the ring as they are all starting to build up some feud.

When we come out of break, Playboy Gary Hart is at the interview desk with both Jake the Snake and The Great Kabuki.

Hart: Mr. Chris Adams. How long are you going to duck my men. It is time for a Word Class Heavyweight Title shot for Jake or Kabuki. Jake has been dominate since his arrival here. There are no more excuses. Your eye is healed. It is time unless you are just afraid of Jake. I mean we could understand that. He is one nasty, tough wrestler who will hurt you. If it is not Jake, then it must be the Great Kabuki. He has been running rough shod over the World Class Wrestlers for a long, long time. Again, I understand why you would be afraid. He is mystical. He is magical. He is unbeatable. Chris Adams, it doesn’t matter to me but it is time that I have the championship belt back in his stable. Maybe you should watch the next match Chris Adams and then you can choose which of my two monsters you are less afraid of. I will give you one week to choose or we are coming for you.

Bill Mercer: Well I think you made your point Mr. Hart. Now it is time to get to the ring.

MATCH: JAKE THE SNAKE ROBERTS AND THE GREAT KABUKI

VS

THE MIGHTY JOES (Joe Lightfoot & Joe Salvoldi)

After the destruction of the Mighty Joe’s, Chris Adams should be concerned. I mean Hart’s men just beat them from pillar to post. The end came when Jake caught Savoldi in a DDT for the pin. After that it got a little strange with Jake pulling Damien out of the bag and letting him slither all over Savoldi and Kabuki caught Lightfoot with a thrust kick and then started to spew the Asian Green Mist all over his chest.

Bill Mercer really hyped up how dangerous these men really are.

MATCH: PYT (NORVELLE AUSTIN & BRICKHOUSE BROWN)

VS

BRIAN ADIAS & AL MADRIL

What a change a few weeks makes. Now as PYT by Michael Jackson blares from the speakers, the crowd boos as they view Brickhouse Brown as a traitor for his turn on Sweet Brown Sugar. Norvell Austin doesn’t help as he loves to antagonize them. The crowd pops as Adias and Madril come to the ring. This is mostly due to the fact that Bill Mercer reminds us week after week that Adias is a high school friend of the VonErichs and we all know what the name Von Erich means in the Sportatorium.

The match was awesome for TV with a lot of momentum changes but in the end PYT goes over the team of Adias and Madril when PYT connected on a double missile drop kick to the head of Madril.

As the music begins and their hands are raised PYT begins to dance all around the ring.

Bill Mercer: While PYT doesn’t endear themselves to the fans, they are really moving up the ranks of WCCW. Let’s get right back to the ring for CPT. Redneck, Dick Murdoch. He will take on Devastation Inc. member Elijah Muhammed.

MATCH: DICK MURDOCH VS KAREEM MUHAMMED with SKANDAR AKBAR

Bill Mercer reminds us that this match features the other halves of the Texas Outlaws vs The Muslim Connection as Rhodes and Elijah Akeem squared off earlier.

The match is a brawl from the beginning. The end came when Akbar go to close to the action and Murdoch gave him a huge right hand. The crowd loved it as his Saudi headgear went flying but Elijah Akeem took offense to this and rushed down to ringside and now the Muslim Connection went after Murdoch and beat him really good. That is until Dusty Rhodes hit the arena floor.

Bill Mercer: Wow look at the Texas Outlaws go. They are taking the Muslim Connection to Woodshed City. Right hand by Murdoch and does goes Akeem. Elbow by Rhodes and down goes Muhammed.

The crowd is really excited that the Texas Outlaws are in control of the brawl. That is until the Iron Sheik hits the ring. With Akbar giving directions, his men really give it to Rhodes and Murdoch.

Bill Mercer reminds us this is the third or fourth time Devastation Inc. has played the numbers game to take out either Rhodes, Murdoch or Jerry Lawler. Mercer takes us into break just as order was restored by a number of officials hitting the ring and getting Devastation Inc. to the locker room. The damage was done as Dusty and Murdock are seen struggling to get to their feet.

QUARTERFINAL ROUND MATCH

THE VON ERICHS

VS

TENNESSEE STUD STABLE (ROBERT FULLER & JIMMY GOLDEN) & OLE ANDERSON

Before the match starts the Stud Stable and Ole stop by the interview desk and really blast the quality of Texas Wrestling and of the Texas people. They claim that Texas couldn’t hold a candle to either Tennessee or Minnesota and they really give it to the fans who give it right back.

The attitude of the fans changes as their beloved Von Erichs make their way to the ring. As for the match, it is a nice 10 minute showcase where each team has their run. The end comes with a clean victory as Kerry Von Erich hit Ole Anderson with a Tornado Punch and then tagged in his brother Kevin for a Top Rope Von Erich leap.

The Von Erichs are rather humble in a post-match interview and Bill Mercer recaps the rest of the show. For once it appears that WCCW is going to end in a nice and peaceful way. Well that ends as the Freebirds strut out and mock the Von Erichs on not being the #1 seed and how the Studd Stable was right.

Michael Hayes: There ain’t no quality in Texas. Just look at who the number one team is. That’s right baby! Hot Lanta, GA!

The VonErichs give it right back and dare the Freebirds to step in the ring with them right now and believe it or not, they do!

We get about a minute or two of all out brawl in the Sportatorium before we hear Bill Mercer. “So long from Dallas, Texas.”

MEMORIAL HALL IN KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

8/18/1984: WTBS

BhI95rGs.jpg?3

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to Mid-South Wrestling from Shreveport, Louisiana and the Irish McNeil’s Boys Club here on WTBS. I am Jim Ross and my partner and President of Mid-South Wrestling is Cowboy Bill Watts.”

The show starts with Jim Ross giving us a rundown of tonight’s events but before we get to the ring he calls out Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood.. It is obvious that Wahoo is white hot but before Jim Ross gives the interview over to Wahoo he says that we are going to see a video from Lake Charles Civic Center where we are about to see one of the most disgusting actions ever seen in Mid-South Wrestling.

The video begins and we see a match between Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood vs The Outlaws (Ron Bass & Black Bart). The match is wild and somehow ref Pee Wee Anderson gets knocked down. This is when the Outlaws decided it was time to get the Cow Bells out and they beat Wahoo and Youngblood to a bloody pulp. It was so violent that the TV station censored parts of the video.

It is here that it gets out of control. The Outlaws use their Bull Ropes to tie their opponents to the ring post. Bass scurries under the ring and pulls out what appears to be a gas can. He douses both Wahoo and Youngblood and pulls out a lighter. It appears that he is about to burn the Native Americans at the stake. He is placating to the audience who are begging him not to do this. This is when a bunch of officials and Mid-South President, Cowboy Bill Watts rush to the ring. It is really Watts who gets the situation under control as he ordered the Outlaws to leave the ring and for once they listened.

As the video ends Jim Ross first asks Cowboy Watts what he said to the Outlaws to calm the situation.

Cowboy Watts: To begin, I want to offer my apologies to Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood. I understand that the situation between you two and the Outlaws has gotten out of hand in recent weeks but they took this too far. When I went to the ring, I told them plan and simply that if they go through with this, we have enough police offers in the Lake Charles Civic Center that they will be arrested immediately and spend the rest of their days behind bars. Thank God, they came to their senses but this action can’t go unpunished. Since it was Wahoo and Mark who were wronged, I am going to let them choose what happens next.

Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood talk to each other for a minute and then Wahoo says that no punishment fits the crime. He says that it would be impossible for Mark and him to spend night after night in the same arena with the Outlaws. Wahoo knows for sure that the next time he sees either Bass or Bart he is going to lose it. Wahoo admits that wrestling is a man’s game and it is violent and physically but they took it too far. Wahoo demands a Loser Leave Town Match between the two teams tonight. The only stipulation is that it is a regular wrestling match. If the Outlaws bring in the cow bells or bull ropes and use them, they will be disqualified.

Cowboy Bill Watts: After all you two have been through, that is easy. Consider that match sanctioned. I just hope you know what you are doing. Mid-South would not be the same without Wahoo!

Wahoo McDaniel: Don’t worry. We are just taking out the trash for you!

Jim Ross now explains that it is time for the Gauntlet Match and Dusty Rhodes is going for his 4th victory tonight. Ross takes out the hat and pulls Rhode’s opponent out…….

Jim Ross: I’m, I don’t understand this. It says that Dusty Rhode’s opponent is none other than Handsome Harley Race. Since when is Harley Race in Mid-South Championship Wrestling.

Cowboy Bill Watts: Well believe it or not, I received a phone call from Harley Race last night and he said he wanted to join the best wrestling promotion there is. I gladly accepted as we all know what a force Harley Race has been. 6 times NWA Heavyweight Champion!

Jim Ross: We will get to that first match after this break.

For the second week in a row, we see the video of Terry Taylor and both Watts and Ross hype it and that we will see him in a very short time.

After the video is over, we hear Harley Race yelling as he approaches the interview desk “Alright, alright. Enough of all this nonsense. What is going on here? You rednecks have no idea how to run a wrestling promotion and all these Hillbillies in the crowd with their ugly no teeth mouths better just shut up and listen. I came here because I was told this place was top notch and I now I have been watching this garbage show for a few weeks. I must have been misinformed. You announce Kevin Sullivan is gone. You announce Mike Graham has a headache. You announce that Terry Taylor is coming to Mid-South. But you don’t announce that the biggest name in wrestling history is making Mid-South his home. Alright all you geeks in studio, stand and cheer for the 6 time World Champion….. Handsome Harley Race!

Jim Ross: I am sorry but I didn’t know, Harley Race was coming to Mid-South.

Race: Shut up Ross and get Dusty Rhodes out here as I am going to beat him from pillar to post and take that Gauntlet Glove and be on my way to becoming the next World Champion.

Race continues and basically calls out every wrestler in the locker room but focuses on Dusty Rhodes and Jerry Lawler, the USWA World Champion.

The crowd explodes as Dusty Rhodes comes to the interview desk.

Dusty Rhodes: Well, it if isn’t Ugly Harley Race. Jim Ross, you know why he is soooo ugly! Because I have beaten all the handsome right out of him. I have beaten him in St. Louis. I have beaten him Atlanta. Now I am going to beat him right here in Louisiana.

Harley Race: You fat, no talent slob. I can’t wait to drop you on your head and make you dummer then you already are.

Jim Ross: Gentlemen, Gentlemen. I think this needs to be settle in the ring.

GAUNTLET MATCH

MATCH: The American Dream Dusty Rhodes vs Harley Race

As for the match, it is a classic. Both men show both their wrestling skills and their brawling skills. The match is full of elbows, right hands and body slams. Race takes control after a double eye gouge but was never able to put Rhodes away. Rhodes used his Bionic Elbow to weaken Race but never softened him up enough to catch him in a piledriver. After 10 minutes the bell rings and the ref declares it a 10 minute draw. Both Rhodes and Race are worn out but keep an eye on the other. They both leave peacefully partly due to their respect for the other’s ability.

Jim Ross hypes up both the match and the historical rivalry between Race and Rhodes. He continues by saying that 10 minutes is just not enough time for these two to get a victor and that he is sure these two will both be major players in the World Championship hunt. He also explains that according to the rules of the Gauntlet Glove, since there is no winner, there is nobody in control of the Glove. Tomorrow night in WCCW, two new wrestlers will be called out and whoever wins, will get the Gauntlet Glove.

----------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS---------------

When we come out of break, Jim Ross informs us that Dutch Mantell, Bill Dundee & Jimmy Valiant defeated Austin Idol, Buddy Landell & Johnny Valiant in the World 6 Man Tournament this week at the Lake Charles Civic Center. Ross explains that we are down to just 5 teams and the last quarter final match will take place tomorrow night on WCCW with Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch & Jerry Lawler vs Devastation Inc. with Skandar Akbar

Cowboy Bill Watts takes over and informs us that there has been serious debates on just who will be the #1 contenders for the World Tag Titles and that the USWA Board of Directors has decided to use a 2 out of 3 match format between the Perfect Alliance (Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton) and the Sheepherders and that the first match is going to take place right here tonight.

#1 CONTENDERS MATCH

THE PERFECT ALLIANCE with BABY DOLL vs THE SHEEPHERDERS

In a wild match, The Perfect Alliance gained the victory after Baby Doll tripped Luke Williams and Beautiful Bobby Eaton came off the top rope for the Alabama Jam.

The Perfect Alliance went to the interview table where Ross asked Baby Doll what that trip was all about. Baby Doll said she had no idea what he was talking about and threatened to sock him right in the mouth if he insinuated that the Perfect Alliance would ever have to stoop to cheating. Both Eaton and Anderson made it sound easy and reminded us that they are just one match from their World Title Shot.

The Sheepherders bust up the interview and go on the attack. This is the first time that we have seen Baby Doll show any fear as she went behind the interview desk. As we go to break, Jim Ross hypes up the rematch which will take place this week at the Cox Convention Center on Oklahoma City.

LOSER LEAVE TOWN MATCH

Wahoo McDaniel & Mark Youngblood vs The Outlaws (Ron Bass & Black Bart)

Neither team waits for the bell and the brawl is on. The fans are on the edge of their seats as they really don’t want to see Wahoo leave Mid-South. There is nothing that resembles wrestling going on as they are just beating each other all over the studio. At one point, The Outlaws have Wahoo trapped in their corner and are giving him the beating of his life. Mark Youngblood can’t take it anymore and rushes into the ring. At this time, the Outlaws untie their cow bells from the corner post. Once the ref turns back to the action, the Outlaws go back to their beating of Wahoo. After a few more minutes of this, Youngblood again rushes the ring but again he is pushed out by ref Pee Wee Anderson. Just before Pee Wee turns around, Black Bart bangs the Cow Bell off the ring post so it makes a loud sound. It is perfectly timed as Ron Bass falls to the ground as Bart tossed the bell to Wahoo. Pee Wee turns around after hearing the sound and sees the bell in Wahoo’s hand and Bass laid out on the ground.

Pee Wee puts one and one together and disqualifies Wahoo and Youngblood. The crowd goes wild with anger and are screaming about the deception. All of a sudden, ref Sean McGowan rushes out to explain what just happened.

WHAM! With two refs turned away from the action, Bass and Bart hit both Wahoo and Youngblood in the back of the head with the cow bells and they are laid out. After hearing what McGowan had to see, Pee Wee Anderson orders the match to continue. As Pee Wee gets back in the ring, he had no idea what had just happened. Ron Bass simply covers Wahoo McDaniel and now it is official, Wahoo and Mark Youngblood must leave Mid-South wrestling!

We hear Jim Ross says “sorry folks, this is a travesty of justice. We will all miss Wahoo. We are out of time. So long from Shreveport, Louisiana.

SCREEN FADES TO BLACK /PROMO

COX CONVENTION CENTER: OKLAHOMA CITY

Key Matches include:

Sheepherders vs The Perfect Ones

Hacksaw Butch Reed vs Junk Yard Dog: North American Title Match

Tommy Rich vs Buzz Sawyer: Grudge Match: Dog Collar

Harley Race vs Billy Jack

XL1ejom.jpg?1

8/19/1984: WTBS

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer hypes up tonight’s show before he is joined by Fritz Von Erich who gives us a little information on the Texas Heavyweight Championship held by Chris Adams.

Fritz Von Erich: We heard Gary Hart out here last weak yelling that Chris Adams better give one of his men a title shot for the Texas Heavyweight Title. Well, I am sorry to inform you that Chris Adams doesn’t decide who gets a title shot. I do!

Gary Hart comes out to a chorus of boos.

Gary Hart: Well here we go again. Another WCCW wrestler gets cheated out of a title shot just to protect one of Fritz’s favorites. We all now the history. Kevin Von Erich and Chris Adams were pen pals when they were in high school and now you protect him by giving him matches against the talentless. It is time for Jake Roberts or Kabuki to have a chance at the belt.

Fritz Von Erich: Gary Hart, before you so rudely interrupted me, I was about to inform you that Jake Roberts and the Great Kabuki are the two top challengers for the Texas Heavyweight Title. Tonight, Chris Adams will face Jake Roberts in a non-title shot. If Roberts wins, he will get a title shot at the Parade of Champions on Labor Day.

Gary Hart: That sounds very fair Fritz but what about Kabuki? He is also a top contender.

Fritz Von Erich: Again Hart, you did not let me finish. This week at the Will Rodgers Center in Fort Worth, Kabuki will also face Chris Adams. If Kabuki wins, he will get the shot at the Parade of Champions.

Gary Hart: What happens when both my men win?

Chris Adams comes out to the roar of the crowd and Gary Hart backs away. Chris Adams is sick and tired of Hart and maybe spoke without thinking.

Chris Adams: Gary Hart! Your men have no chance at winning these upcoming matches so I have the answer for you. If I lose both these matches, I will wrestle both of your men in a 2-1 Handicap Match. If I win both these matches, you will leave WCCW FOREVER!

Gary Hart claps his hands and with confidence, accepts the challenge issued by Adams and walks away.

Bill Mercer really hypes up what just happened and pulls out the hat for the Gauntlet Glove Match. He reminds us that last night had no winner so he will be choosing two wrestlers tonight. He reaches into the hat and pulls out …….. Norvell Austin. He reaches in again and pulls out …… Brickhouse Brown.

Bill Mercer is in shock but reminds us that anything can happen during the Gauntlet Glove. Tonight we have members of the same team facing each other. Let’s see how PYT handles this.

GAUNTLET MATCH:

NORVELL AUSTIN VS BRICKHOUSE BROWN

The two walk out together with PYT by Michael Jackson being played and they are all smiles. The match begins with a handshake and for about 4 minutes both men play it on the up and up. This all ends when Austin rakes the eyes of Brown and takes control. With time running out, Austin went for a huge clothesline but missed. Brown turned the tide with a missile dropkick right on the chin. Brown got the victory and went to help up his partner. Austin shoved him away as Bill Mercer wonders if there is trouble in paradise.

MATCH: SWEET BROWN SUGAR VS NIGHTMARE TED ALLEN

A nice showcase for Sweet Brown Sugar where he made a comeback against the Nightmare and caught him with a Missile Dropkick for the pin.

Sweet Brown Sugar goes over to the interview desk where Bill Mercer asks for his thoughts on what happened between Brickhouse Brown and Norvell Austin. Sugar just smiled and said. “What goes around, comes around!”

Bill Mercer sends it right back to Marc Lowrance for our next match.

MATCH: BRIAN ADIAS VS JOHNNY MANTELL

Brian Adias continues to perform well as he wins this squash match in just over 4 minutes using the Oriental Spike. Mercer really pushes the success of Adias and his popularity.

MATCH: JAKE “THE SNAKE” ROBERTS

VS

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION: CHRIS ADAMS (Non-Title)

After the interview earlier, the fans are really hoping Chris gets two wins to get Gary Hart out of WCCW. As could be expected, we see another brawl but Adams seems to be doing ok. He actually had the match won at about the 5 minute mark after he connected with a nasty Super Kick but Gary Hart pulled Snake’s leg over the bottom rope and the ref stopped the count.

Gary Hart made his presence known again as he got up on the apron to distract ref Bronco Lubich. As the two argued, the crowd roared as Kabuli hit the ring and nailed Adams with his own Thrust Kick. Kabuki quickly rolled out of the ring while Roberts caught Adams on his way down and added insult to injury be finishing Adam’s off with a DDT.

Mercer recaps the situation Chris Adams is in and as we go to break, we see Adams out cold on the mat while Roberts releases Damien the Snake to slither all over Adams.

QUARTERFINAL ROUND MATCH

DUSTY RHODES, DICK MURDOCH & JERRY LAWLER

VS

DEVASTATION INC. (Iron Sheik & The Muslim Connection) with Skandar Akbar

Just prior to the match, The Freebirds joined Bill Mercer at the interview desk which they said was just to watch Devastation Inc. beat up on Murdoch, Rhodes and Jerry Lawler. Bill Mercer did not seem so excited to have 3 guest announcers with him but what was he to do.

As far as the match goes, Devastation Inc. seemed to lose focus as all they wanted to do was injure the champ. Jerry Lawler was often double and triple teamed and he was lucky not to get hurt. At one point, The Iron Sheik and Elijah Akeem had Lawler outside the ring and were all over him. This allowed the Texas Outlaws to play a little dirty on their own because ref David Manning was having trouble controlling the action. Dusty Rhodes kicked Kareem Muhammed and then followed it up with a Bionic Elbow. The Freebirds and Bill Mercer argued whether or not the kick was a low blow but it didn’t matter. Dusty tagged in Murdoch and together they hoisted up Muhammed and nailed him with a spike Brainbuster!

The sound of Muhammed hitting the mat got the ref refocused as Murdoch easily pinned Muhammed. The Texas Outlaws quickly went to the aid of Lawler while the Freebirds were screaming that the Brainbuster is illegal in WCCW. They continued screaming about how Rhodes and his team better follow the rules in their match this week if they know what is good for them.

Bill Mercer says we will just have to wait and see but nobody should miss it. The semifinals of the 6 man tournament will be this week at the Will Rodgers Center. As the Freebirds head to the ring where we have a lot of finger pointing going on, we hear Bill Mercer. “So long from Dallas, Texas.”

THE WILL RODGERS CENTER: FORT WORTH

Key Matches Include

World 6 Man Semi-Finals

Freebirds vs Rhodes, Murdoch & Jerry Lawler

The Von Erichs vs Jimmy Valiant, Superstar Dundee & Dutch Mantell

Chris Adams vs The Great Kabuki (If Kabuki wins, Adams must face Kabuki and Jake Roberts in a Handicap Match for the Texas Heavyweight Championship)

Plus The Iron Sheik will be in singles action and the Muslim Connection will be in tag action.

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

8/25/1984: WTBS

Due to a vacation, this week’s shows will just be summaries and used to hype up the Labor Day Special at the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis, TN

1. The Perfect Alliance (Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton) vs The Sheepherders

This match took place at the ox Convention Center and was won cleanly by the Perfect Alliance after an Alabama Jam by Eaton on Miller. This win gave the Perfect Alliance a sweep in the best of three series to become the #1 contenders to face the World Champs… The Fabulous Ones at the Labor Day Special. During tonight’s show, the two teams had words during a Fab Ones interview after they won a squash match. Cooler heads did prevail but this is going to be some showdown.

2. Tommy Rich vs Buzz Sawyer

This feud may have finally come to an end as these two fierce rivals meet in Oklahoma City in a Dog Collar Match that saw Wildfire win a bloody bout by actually throwing Sawyer over the top rope and hanging him into submission. While Wildfire is a fan favorite, many fans were surprised at just how violent he was in this match. Sawyer was taken out on a stretcher with his neck in a brace. On the TV show, Rich seemed relieved that it may finally be over but he never knows as his War with Sawyer has been going on for almost two years. Sawyer was okay and released from the hospital but it is believed he has moved on from Mid-South due to his frustration at never beating Rich in the “Big One.” Rich turned the interview towards Ron Bass & Black Bart and he said how sick he was that those two cowards cheated and a good man like Wahoo McDaniel is out of a job. The Outlaws come out and attack Rich who was saved by none other than Terry Taylor who was making his first appearance in Mid-South in quite some time.

3. Hacksaw Butch Reed vs JYD

In another rivalry that has been brewing all summer long, Reed again survived his bout with JYD in Oklahoma City. The match was a carbon copy of all the others. Violent, fast paced, back and forth and long. This match also ended in a time limit draw as so many of them have. This time neither man stopped when the bell rung and they continued to battle until the locker room ended and separated the two. These two will meet one last time in Memphis on Labor Day to solve this problem. This is being billed as the last time these two will meet and it will be decided in a LUMBERJACK MATCH. Both men spoke during the TV show and you could see that there is still a lot of anger and unfinished business between the two.

4. An interview with Harley Race showed he is still angry at Dusty Rhodes and wants a piece of him but his real reason for being here is to become World Champion.

5. Bill Watts is really excited as we see two more videos of stars soon to be returning to Mid-South Wrestling: Hacksaw Jim Dugan and Steve “Dr. Death” Williams

6. GUANTLET GLOVE MATCH: Billy Jack defeated Brickhouse Brown to capture the Gauntlet Glove and place him just 4 victories away from a World Title shot.

7. LAKE FRONT ARENA: NEW ORLEANS: The end of the show hypes the house show of the week

XL1ejom.jpg?1

8/26/1984: WTBS

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

http://i.imgur.com/jcysDrs.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer hypes up tonight’s show before he is joined by Fritz Von Erich who gives us a little information on the Texas Heavyweight Championship held by Chris Adams.

Due to a vacation, this week’s shows will just be summaries and used to hype up the Labor Day Special at the Mid-South Coliseum in Memphis, TN

1. 6 MAN TAG TEAM TOURNAMENT:

The show starts with video of the semifinals from the Will Rodgers Center. The first segment shows a tape of the Von Erichs getting a clean victory over Jimmy Valiant, Bill Dundee and Dutch Mantell. The end came after Kerry weakened Valiant with the claw and then tagged in Kevin who ended it with a Top Rope Von Erich leap.

The second semifinal pitted the Freebirds vs Dusty Rhodes, Dick Murdoch and Jerry Lawler. This one was much more controversial as the Iron Sheik attacked Lawler on his way to the ring and hit him with a steel chair to the head. Since this was before the match started, The Freebirds were not punished and basically fought this match with a one man advantage. The end came when Terry Gordy caught a weakened Lawler with a running powerslam.

Tonight’s TV show included an attack by the Freebirds on the Von Erichs that turned into a real Pier 6 brawl. The show also included a fiery interview by Jerry Lawler where he demanded a World Title Match with the Iron Sheik at the Labor Day Special in Memphis. Bill Mercer really hyped up the 6 Man Tag Final and the World Title Match with Jerry Lawler returning to his home, The Mid-South Coliseum.

2. The Texas Outaws vs The Muslim Connection

Dusty Rhodes and Dick Murdoch attacked the Muslim Connection as an attempt to get revenge Devastation Inc.’s attack on Lawler at the Will Rodgers Center. This lead to a match between Skandar Akbar’s men and the Texas Outlaws at the Labor Day Special.

3. TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

In an unbelievable event at the Will Rodgers Center, Chris Adams lost a non-title match against the Great Kabuki. Adams will now have to face both Jake Roberts and Kabuki in a handicap match with Gary Hart’s men at the Labor Day Special. Adams never really mounted any attack during the match and seemed to be out of it the entire night. During the TV show, Chris Adams dropped a bombshell on us that he was attacked in the parking lot by none other than Kevin Sullivan. This information brought Fritz Von Erich out who demanded more information and ordered Gary Hart to the interview desk.

When Hart came out Fritz wanted to know if he knew anything about it. Hart explained that at the time he did not but this week he has added Kevin Sullivan into his stable of wrestlers. Fritz was furious and went on a rampage about how Sullivan is suspended from the USWA for his attack on Mike Graham over in Mid-South. Hart points out a technicality that in fact, Sullivan is only suspended from Mid-South and not all USWA promotions. Therefore, it is perfectly fine that he has signed Sullivan. Fritz was not happy but explained that legally, Hart was correct. Sullivan made a rather violent debut on WCCW by destroying Al Madril.

4. The Gauntlet Glove Match: Billy Jack defeated Norvell Austin by submission after a Bearhug. Jack is only 3 victories away from a title shot. After the end of the march, Brickhouse Brown hit the ring and attacked his “former” partner, Norvell Austin. Mercer wondered if the tag team PYT is no more.

5. Promotion for the Mid-South Coliseum Supercard on Labor Day.

Matches Include:

USWA WORLD 6 MAN CHAMPIONSHIP:

Freebirds vs The Von Erichs

USWA WOLRD TITLE:

Jerry Lawler vs The Iron Sheik

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: 2-1 HANDICAP MATCH

Chris Adams vs Jake Roberts and The Great Kabuki

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: LUMBERJACK MATCH

Hacksaw Reed vs JYD

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE:

The Fab Ones vs The Perfect Alliance & Baby Doll

GRUDGE MATCH :

Dusty Rhodes vs Harley Race

And much more……..

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

9/3/1984: WTBS

9:05-10:35

BhI95rGs.jpg?3

The show starts by really hyping up the Johnny Rougue Memorial Cup in Montreal. Ross explains that it was an international tournament that included wrestling stars from many different promotions in the United States and Canada including two stars from right here in Mid-South Wrestling.

He goes on to explain that the North American Heavyweight Champion Butch Reed was there and we would like to show some highlights of his matches.

The first video shows his first round match against Nikolai Volkoff.

Hacksaw” Butch Reed (USWA) vs Nikolai Volkoff (Mid-Atlantic)

In the opener, Guy Hauray explains that Nikolai Volkoff replaces Harley Race, who has left the Mid-Atlantic territory to go to the USWA. 2 rough and tough individuals scratching and clawing their way and exchanging the momentum with each other. In the very last moments of the match, Butch Reed hits Nikolai Volkoff with the shortarm clothesline and makes the cover but the time limit expires! Right off the bat, our first surprise as both men are eliminated from the tournament. Butch Reed takes the mic and says this is bullshit and he had this match won. Reed says he’s not leaving the ring until the match is restarted. However, out comes International TV Champion Gino Brito from Lutte Internationale and says that he won’t let someone like Reed ruin the tournament for an ego trip. Brito says that if Reed wants to step into the ring again in Montreal, all he has to do is to stick around and face him on August 29th and he’ll put the International TV Championship on the line against him. Butch Reed accepts and says that he’s bringing the International TV Championship back with him and he’s gonna hand it over to Fritz Von Erich in Texas.

Jim Ross goes on to say that this was the chance of a lifetime for Butch Reed as he could be the first wrestler ever to hold the North American Title and the International TV Title at the same time. Ross says we are going to take a look at that TV title match when we come back from break.

The video starts as soon as we come out of break, the video of Reed vs Brito begins.

International TV Championship

Gino Brito © vs Hacksaw Butch Reed (USWA)

The USWA representative definitely had some pent-up frustration following his time limit draw elimination from the opening match in the first round. Butch Reed wants to make sure that this one doesn’t slip away from him this time. Both Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier put over Hacksaw Butch Reed as perhaps Gino Brito’s toughest challenge ahead of his match with “Dr. D” David Schultz on September 13 and also put over the fact that Butch Reed could very well return to the USWA as the International TV Champion, adding another title to Fritz Von Erich’s territory. Gino Brito was in serious trouble for most of this match with Butch Reed being absolutely dominant, leaving little-to-no chance to Brito to generate much offense. But the fiery Italian’s pride and heart allows him to reach deep inside of him and Brito is able to turn the tide. In the final minutes of the match, Butch Reed scoops up Gino Brito for his Gorilla Press Slam but somehow, Brito manages to slip behind Reed and pins him with an O’Connor Roll at 28:23 to retain his championship

Winner: Gino Brito (28:23) – retains the International TV Championship

As the video ends, we see JYD at the interview desk and he gets a great round of applause. JYD goes on to explain that he takes it as a slap in the face. He goes on to explain that he is less than a week from his Lumberjack Match against Butch Reed, and Reed thinks so little about the Dog that he goes prancing around the continent to wrestle in Canada. Dog goes on to explain that this is going to bite Reed right in the “you know where!”

Butch Reed comes strutting out to a chorus of boos and he gets right in the face of JYD and says beaten you sucker what take no effort at all. The exchange gets heated but stays peaceful as we go to our second break of the show.

Jim Ross explains that Hacksaw Reed was not the only Mid-South Wrestler to take place in the Johnny Rougue Memorial Cup. The American Dream Dusty Rhodes was there and here are some highlights of how he did.

Dusty Rhodes (USWA) vs Austin Idol (w/Johnny V) (Memphis)

Unsurprisingly, the crowd is solidly behind The American Dream in this one. Some really solid exchanges between both men and the match could go either way. At some point, Austin Idol even was able to lock in his patented Las Vegas Lock on Dusty but the Dream was able to make it to the ropes. Dusty is able to make a comeback in the match and gets the victory at 10:50 with his Bionic Elbow on Idol.

Winner: Dusty Rhodes (10:50) – advances to 2nd round

Dusty Rhodes is with Jim Ross when the video ends and The American Dream hypes up the tournament like only he could and he said how much fun it was to whoop up on the snake in the grass, Austin Idol.

Ross goes on to explain that you don’t always get to pick your opponents in tournaments like this and that your second match was against your good friend, Barry Windham and here are some highlights.

Barry Windham (Mid-Atlantic) vs Dusty Rhodes (USWA)

If the preceding match was the best match of the night, this one was probably the most anticipated match of this 2nd round. Both men shook hands before the bell rings and the crowd is literally split 50/50 between both wrestlers. Windham showed that his deceptive agility could be enough to lead him to victory but that wasn’t without counting Dusty Rhodes’ immense heart, which gave for a tremendous spectacle for the fans at the Montreal Forum. But both men also showed a lot of pride and desire to win, which ironically lead to the end of the match as well. Windham & Dusty got into a furious exchange in the corner and in the heat of the moment, both men shoved referee Luigi Macera twice, giving him no choice but to disqualify both men, much to the dismay of the fans in attendance. Macera officially called off the match at 13:47

Rhodes goes on to explain that wrestling is a funny sport and that even when you are wrestling your buddies, some times in the heat of the action, you lose control. He apologizes to referee Luigi Macera.

Rhodes then turns his attention to Harley Race who he will meet in the Labor Day Special at the Mid-South Coliseum. He goes on to berate Race and his ugly face as only Dream could.

Jim Ross and Bill Watts are really excited after the break as we see two more videos of stars soon to be returning to Mid-South Wrestling: Terry Taylor and Steve “Dr. Death” Williams. Watts explains that he gets call after call from wrestlers all over the world wanting to come to the Mid-South.

Jim Ross explains that it is time for the Gauntlet Glove Match and he pulls out the hat and has Watts pick the opponent of Billy Jack Haynes who already has two wins. If he can get three more, he will get a world title shot. Watts reaches in and pulls out………. Bobby Jaggers.

Ross explains that this is Jaggers first time back in the Mid-South in a while and that he has a great chance to move up the ranks fast with this Gauntlet Glove Match.

GAUNTLET GLOVE MATCH

BILLY JACK HAYNES VS BOBBY JAGGERS

A nice little 5 minute match with a few momentum changes that ended when the powerful Haynes caught Jaggers in a Bearhug for the submission.

Ross hypes up that Haynes is now just 2 wins away from a World Title Shot.

Tommy Rich comes out to the interview desk where Jim Ross asks whats on his mind. It is obvious that he is FIRRREEEEDDDD UP!

Wildfire is furious at the Outlaws for their dirty tactics during their loser leave town match with Wahoo McDaniel and Mark Youngblood.

Last week he called them out on it and the Outlaws confronted Rich and attacked him 2-1. Rich demanded that Cowboy Bill Watts grant him a match with the Outlaws at the Labor Day Special. Watts immediately grants it but wonders who his partner will be.

The Outlaws come out and are laughing in a really obnoxious way as they know that much of the talent is already signed and it will be difficult for Rich to find a quality partner. Rich says that it won’t be a problem but the Outlaws are still licking their chops.

Jim Ross is also wondering aloud who Wildfire could get. He also warns the Outlaws to get to the ring as they have a title match with the Fab Ones in our main event.

MATCH: USWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE

THE FABULOUS ONES VS THE OUTLAWS (BLACK BART & RON BASS)

The Outlaws are already in the ring as ZZ Topps and Sharpe Dressed Man blares from the speakers. The Fabulous Ones may have the best entrance in all of wrestling and they really get the crowd going.

As for the match, it is pretty wild from the get go. Bass and Bart brawl their way through the match but the Fab Ones use their speed and agility to stay one step ahead of their challengers. Ref Pee Wee Anderson lost control of the match as all 4 men where in the ring going at it.

JIM ROSS: Oh no! Business is about to pick up! Here comes the Perfect Alliance! Arn Anderson and Bobby Eaton followed by Baby Doll hit the ring. Pee Wee calls for the bell and gives the champs the victory but they are under attack. It is 4 on 2. Wait a minute! Here comes the cavalry! It is Wildfire Tommy Rich and is that?

Yes its Terry Taylor!!

The crowd pops as Rich, Taylor and the Fab Ones take care of business. Ross wonders if this is going to be Wildfire’s partner in the Mid-South Coliseum. We have total chaos as we hear Jim Ross says “sorry folks, we are out of time. So long from Shreveport, Louisiana.

XL1ejom.jpg?1

9/4/1984: WTBS

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer begins the show starts by really hyping up the Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup in Montreal. Mercer explains that it was an international tournament that included wrestling stars from many different promotions in the United States and Canada including two stars from right here in World Class Championship Wrestling.

He goes on to explain that Modern Day Warrior, Kerry Von Erich was there and we would like to show some highlights of his match.

George Steele (w/Richard Charland) (Lutte Internationale) vs Kerry Von Erich (USWA)

Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier wonder if George Steele will be able to save face for Lutte Internationale, who is 0-for-2 thus far in the tournament. They also question if Richard Charland will get involved in the match somehow. Kerry Von Erich quickly answers this question early in the match as he thwarts a Charland interference by throwing a discus punch at him, knocking him out for the remainder of the match. However, a discus punch wouldn’t save Kerry in this one as George would duck a discus punch from Kerry and hit him with his hammerlock slam to secure the victory at 7:45 and advance in the tournament.

Kerry and the rest of the Von Erich brothers are with Bill when the video ends and Kerry thanks Lutte International Wrestling for allowing him a chance to wrestle in their great event. He goes on to say that George “The Animal” Steele is one of the mot unorthodox wrestlers he has ever faced and hopes that Playboy Gary Hart never gets his hands on him as he would fit in perfectly with his band of misfits!

Everybody chuckles and then the Von Erichs take turns hyping up their title match with the Freebirds at the Labor Day Special. Each one says how excited they would be to be the first ever USWA World 6 Man Tag Team Champions. Kerry also says they should have a bit of an advantage because one of the Freebirds might be a little tired! Again, he gives us a smirk but Bill Mercer asks him not to give away too much of tonight’s show.

As we come out of break, Bill Mercer pulls out the hat to find Billy Jack’s opponent in our Gauntlet Glove Match. Before choosing the name he reminds us that Billy Jack goes for his 4th win which would leave him just one short of a World Title Match. Mercer reaches into the hat and pulls out ………. Al Madril.

GAUNTLET GLOVE MATCH

BILLY JACK HAYNES VS AL MADRIL

A nice bout between two fan favorites. It was nice for a change to see a match start with a handshake instead of an eye gouge and the two played it straight up the entire time. Billy Jack’s power turned out to be just too much for Madril as he was forced to submit to the Bearhug in just over 6 minutes.

Bill Mercer reminds us that Billy Jack is now just one match away from a World Title shot and since the Labor Day Special is a televised event, that match will take place at the Mid-South Coliseum!

MATCH:

NORVELL AUSTIN VS TONY GAREA

A match of good vs evil. Garea truly outwrestled Austin but couldn’t compete with the flapjack that Austin clocked him with for the victory.

Austin went over to the interview desk where he basically said his former PYT teammate, Brickhouse Brown, was usuless and that he carried him. Brown came out and confronted Austin. Norvell pretended to walk away from Brown out of disgust but when Brickhouse turned his attention back to Bill Mercer, Austin clocked him with that same weapon that he hit Garea with. Brown was laid out as Austin just laughed his way to the locker room.

Mercer yells at Austin and tells him to get out of here. He then wonders where this feud will go.

In this segment we see two quick matches where evil rules!

MATCH:

Jake Roberts & The Great Kabuki (with Playboy Gary Hart)

VS

Scott McGhee & Rufus Jones

You would have expected a little more from McGhee ad Jones but Hart’s men just destroy them. It is one of the worst 5 minute beatings you could have imagined. The end came after Kabuki connected with a thrust kick on McGhee and then just to punish his opponent, he tagged in Roberts for a DDT.

At the interview desk, Gary Hart wondered how Chris Adams was going to take on his men in a handicap match. He basically answered it himself by simply saying, “He CAN’T!”

MATCH:

THE IRON SHEIK with Skandar Akbar

VS

JOHNNY MANTELL

Another squash match that lead to Mantell submitting to the Camel Clutch in just over 3 minutes. Sheik, like always, did a good job antagonizing the fans with his Tehran, Iran chant while Akbar riled up the fans by asking how these sorry Americans are going to feel when The Iron Sheik takes the USWA World Title from the “Queen” Jerry Lawler.

Sheik does a little posing and follows it up by saying tiny Americans have no chance against him and that he will break Jerry Lawler in half like a twig.

Bill Mercer: Believe it or not, one of our own World Class Wrestlers won the entire tournament for the Johnny Rogeau Memorial Cup and you will never guess who it was. Well let’s get to the video tape.

Eric Embry (Independent) vs Terry Gordy (USWA)

Guy Hauray mentions during the match how unusual it feels to see Terry Gordy without his Fabulous Freebirds cohorts but word was that Terry Gordy wanted to go at it alone for the tournament. Eric Embry gave it a nice effort but Bam Bam Gordy was too dominant. Gordy gets the win at 5:19 with the High Angle Belly-to-Back Suplex.

Tom Pritchard (w/Sunshine) (SMW) vs Terry Gordy (USWA)

As good as the Smokey Mountain Wrestling Heavyweight Champion is, Tom Pritchard would need anything and everything, including every Sunshine dirty tactic imaginable in order to defeat the Fabulous Freebirds’ representative. Tom Pritchard once again tried to resort to Sunshine’s loaded purse but the referee caught Sunshine red-handed and threw her out of the arena. A desperate Pritchard then rapidly fell prey to Terry Gordy as he pinned Pritchard with his High Angle Belly-to-Back Suplex at 6:35 to advance to the quarter-finals

Ricky Morton (Memphis) vs Terry Gordy (USWA)

It was a well-rested Ricky Morton who showed up for his quarterfinals match since he had a bye in the 2nd round. And he would need every ounce of energy he had against Terry Gordy, who had steamrolled in the competition thus far. While Morton was able to get the early advantage with his quickness, one mistake was all Gordy needed to regain the upper hand. Terry Gordy then finished up Morton with a shoulderbreaker at 5:06

Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup Final Match

Terry Gordy (USWA) vs Rick Martel (Lutte Internationale)

The moment has finally come to determine the winner of the 1st Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup. While Rick Martel has caught literally no break in this tournament, Terry “Bam Bam” Gordy is well-rested, benefitting from a bye in the semis, since both Tito Santana & Bret Hart were eliminated in the quarterfinals. Another case of power vs strength and throughout the match, Guy Hauray & Édouard Carpentier put over Terry Gordy and the possibility of his Fabulous Freebirds cohorts, Michael PS Hayes & Buddy Jack Roberts showing up to help him. Jacques, Raymond & Armand Rougeau are seated at ringside, looking to congratulate the winner of the tournament. Martel fought as hard as he could and gave it his best shot. Martel’s able to hit his Slingshot Splash on Gordy but Gordy kicked out at 2. The end of the match saw Rick Martel first attempting the Boston Crab but changed his mind and went instead for a Figure Four but Gordy countered and shoved Martel, who went head first in the turnbuckle. Martel staggered and Gordy hit the High Angle Belly-to-Back Suplex to get the victory at 21:36 and win the Johnny Rougeau Memorial Cup

After the video montage, we see Terry Gordy standing with Bill Mercer holding the Memorial Cup!

Gordy actually seemed rather humble in victory until he went on a rant about how he knew he was going to win as nobody but a Freebird can walk down BAdstreet and come out the other side.

Bill Mercer wonders what it was like wrestling as a single when he is so used to tag team and 6 man action.

Terry Gordy paid a lot of repect to Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts but also stressed how sometimes it is fun to go it alone where all the weight is on your shoulders.

All of a sudden the Freebird Anthem plays and out comes Michael Hayes and Buddy Roberts who is still wearing a protective headgear.

Hayes is very blunt is saying that the Freebirds are a team and for you to go all the way up to Canada just days before our World Title Match with the Von Erich’s moght not have been the best thing to do.

Terry Gordy: C’Mon Man! Kerry was up there to. You don’t see his brothers riding him.

Michael Hayes: Oh now it is Kerry. What are you two BUDS? I mean what happened to kicking Ass and taking names. Just a few months ago I remember you saying that the Freebirds might not be liked but boy we are good at swinging chairs and crackin heads. Now I hear you say buuuuuuut Kerry was there. And then worst of all, I see you shake the hand of Rick Martel. You have gone from Badstreet to Soft Street. I just hope you are on you game come the Mid-South Coliseum.

Terry Gordy: You know I will. Once a Freebird always a Freebird. The South will rise again and the Von Erichs will be down for the count.

Michael Hayes: Now that’s what I want to hear brother. Let’s get down to business and win us a title tomorrow night. First we pummel the Von Erichs that we love the ladies on Beale Street. History tomorrow night!

As the Freebirds walk off, Bill Mercer wonders if they are really on the same page.

“So long from Dallas, Texas and don’t forget to watch the huge Labor Day Special tomorrow night right here on WTBS.”

Promotion for the Mid-South Coliseum Supercard on Labor Day.

Matches Include

USWA WORLD 6 MAN CHAMPIONSHIP: Freebirds vs The Von Erichs

USWA WOLRD TITLE: Jerry Lawler vs The Iron Sheik

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: 2-1 HANDICAP MATCH

Chris Adams vs Jake Roberts and The Great Kabuki

NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH: LUMBERJACK MATCH

Hacksaw Reed vs JYD

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE: The Fab Ones vs The Perfect Alliance & Baby Doll

“The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes vs “Handsome” Harley Race

The Outlaws vs Tommy “Wildfire” Rich & Terry Taylor

GAUNTLET GLOVE MATCH: Billy Jack goes for win #5 and a World Title shot!

14vEsWk.jpg?1

USWA WRESTLING PRESENTS

PARADE OF CHAMPIONS II

9/6/1984: WTBS

7:05-10:05

FROM THE MID-SOUTH COLISEUM

MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE

S5HQHFT.jpg

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to Labor Day Special from the Mid-South Coliseum here on WTBS. I am Jim Ross along with Bill Mercer. We have a jam packed show tonight so let’s get right to the ring.

TOMMY “WILDFIRE” RICH & TERRY TAYLOR

VS

THE OUTLAWS (RON BASS & BLACK BART)

This is Terry Taylor’s first match back in the USWA and the fans are really excited to have him back. The Outlaws had attacked Wildfire on the last TV show and challenged him to a tag match but they said they he was such a loser that he would never find a partner. Rich said all it would take was one phone call and that the Outlaws wouldn’t know what him them. This mystery partner turned out to be Taylor and the Outlaws took a few steps backwards when Rich and Taylor hit the ring. As for the match, it is a great way to get the crowd into it as all four men really like to brawl.

The fan favorites controlled almost the entire match even though the Outlaws tried every dirty trick in the book. Rich and Taylor where always one step ahead of their opponents and the end came after Taylor hit a powerbomb on Black Bart! Taylor proceeded to tag in Rich who pulled up Bart by the head and followed up an Irish Whip with a Lou Thesz Press. Rich covered Bart for the pin.

1…

2…

WHAM!

Oh my God, Terry Taylor has come off the top rope and nailed Wildfire with an elbow to the back of the head. He continues to kick and stomp at Rich. The Outlaws just stand by and look on. Taylor puts Rich in the Figure 4 and really amps up the pressure. Taylor signals Bart to come off the rope with the Leg Drop Guillotine which he does. Rich is really in a bad way. Another Leg Drop Guillotine and Taylor releases the Figure 4 and simply walks out of the ring Bart covers Rich for the easy 3 count as the fans wonder what has become of Terry Taylor! If Rich is not hurt too badly, we have not heard the last of this one as they will both be involved in the lumberjack match between Reed and JYD a little later.

MATCH TIME: 12:21.

WINNERS: THE OUTLAWS

ZViGxL7.jpg?1

CMZwt5R.jpg?5

THE GAUNTLET GLOVE MATCH

BILLY JACK HAYNES VS ?

Billy Jack Haynes is just one victory away from a World Title shot as he has won 4 Gauntlet matches in a row. Jim Ross takes out the hat with all the wrestlers’ names to find out who his opponent will be.

Jim Ross: “Well business is about to pick up. Billy Jack will face none other than “Dr. Death,” Steve Williams.”

You hear the kind of “WOW” murmur from the crowd. Steve Williams has that reputation of being double tough and double strong and this should be an amazing match between two very powerful men. Jim Ross reminds us that this match will follow Gauntlet Glove rules which means that someone must win in under 10 minutes to get control of the Glove.

This match doesn’t disappoint but the outcome was almost apparent from the beginning when both men met in the center of the ring for a test of strength. Billy Jack, with muscles bulging from everywhere, was no match for Williams who used his 40 pound weight advantage to overpower Jack.

ShSo9nu.png?4

The fans were surprised but Jim Ross was not as he reminded us of Dr. Death’s power of the football field at the University of Oklahoma. The rest of the match was similar. Even though Jack had his moments, Williams would just find a way to run over him. The end came when Dr. Death followed up a major football tackle with the Oklahoma Stampede.

As Steve Williams just stands over his fallen prey daring him to get up, Jim Ross hypes up the fact that Williams is now in possession of the Gauntlet Glove and is just 4 victories away from a World Title shot. The crowd really loved what they saw and are hopeful that Dr. D will be on their side!

MATCH TIME: 7:21.

WINNER: “Dr. Death” Steve Williams

“THE AMERICAN DREAM” DUSTY RHODES VS “HANDSOME” HARLEY RACE

These two have met in recent weeks but each match has ended in a draw. While both men clearly believe they are the better man, they do respect each other and the match starts out rather cautious. Race gains the first advantage after a double eye gouge but is unable to gain the victory. Rhodes goes on a hot streak after he blocked a body slam but he has the same problem. He can’t put Race away. It didn’t matter what they did to each other. Diving headbutts by Race. Bionic Elbows by Rhodes. Piledrivers by both. They could not finish each other off. The 30 minute time limit expired with each man going toe to toe with the other throwing right hand after right hand. The ref tried to separate the two but this was to no avail as the brawl continued. Finally wrestlers and officials poured in from the back and finally got the two men apart. Jim Ross wonders if this feud is ever going to end and that it might just become a feud of epic proportions.

uLpEHLp.jpg?1

MATCH TIME: 30:00.

WINNER: DRAW

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP

CHRIS ADAMS

VS

JAKE “THE SNAKE” ROBERTS & THE GREAT KABUKI with Gary Hart

(2-1 Handicap Match)

The crowd is clearly behind Adams but he has that look of what have I gotten myself into? Bill Mercer explains that it is actually Adam’s own fault for this match as he said that if he couldn’t beat Roberts and Kabuki, he would take then on in this handicap match.

As you would expect, Roberts and Kabuki have the advantage for most of this match. They were able to tag each other in when they tired and they, along with Hart, where able to distract the referee and really break the rules. The end seemed obvious on many occasions as Adams was nailed by a DDT by Roberts and by a nasty Thrust Kick by Kabuki. Each time Hart celebrated a little early as Adams powered out of the pin.

With the referee knocked down, Robert’s held Adams by both arms as Hart ordered Kabuki to spray the Asian Green Mist into the eyes of Adams. Bill Mercer reminds us that his eyes have already been damaged not too long ago by Michael Hayes as he blinded Adams with some sort of powder. Mercer continued on to say that somehow Adams managed to steal victory in that match against Terry Gordy to capture the Texas Heavyweight Title.

As Gary Hart went to “help” the ref so he could make the pin count, Kabuli went into his spinning routine and sprayed the mist. Somehow Adams slipped out of the grasp of Roberts and Kabuki nailed his teammate with the mist. Adams quickly jumped over Roberts for a Sunset Flip. Hart saw none of this and when he heard the count begin, he counted along with the fans. Kabuki was either too stunned to break up the pin or had some other devious plan in his sick mind. Whatever it was, Hart was shocked to see the ref raise Chris Adams’ hand. Adams made a quick exit to ensure he was not attacked again as the crowd roared. Hart did all he could to keep his men separated as Roberts seemed really angry at Kabuki.

MATCH TIME: 16:21.

WINNER: CHRIS ADAMS (STILL TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION) __________________________________________________________________________

USWA 6 MAN WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT FINAL

The FABULOUS FREEBIRDS

VS

THE VON ERICHS

(NO DQ)

FREEBIRDS VS VONERICHS! Nothing more needs to be said. The Freebirds enter to Lynard Skinnard and Freebird. As they make their way to the ring, Jim Ross is in shock as they are being lead to the ring by Precious. Ross explains that he has no idea why she is here and that last he knew she was the valet for Jimmy Garvin in the AWA.

Jim Ross reviews how we got here and all the results from the World 6 Man Tournament and that the winner tonight will in fact be the first ever USWA World 6 Man Tag Team Champions.

As you could expect, this match has it all. Inside the ring action! Outside the ring action! Simultaneous inside and outside the ring action. Of course it was an all-out war with many momentum changes. With the ref having no control, the VonErichs somehow took charge as all 6 man were paired off.

This is when the camera catches Precious adjusting her purse. Mike Von Erich and Buddy Roberts were brawling it out and both fell through the ropes. Kerry Von Erich nailed Michael Hayes with a Tornado Punch which sent him out to the floor. Kerry followed him out and went for the Iron Claw. Kevin Von Erich connected with a Super Kick to the temple of Terry Gordy and then climbed to the top rope for his patented VonErich Death Leap!

Precious hopped up on the apron as the ref once was again trying to deal with a match that was completely out of control.

WHAM!

She nails Kevin with her loaded purse which caused Kevin to fall off the top rope. As he fell, his head and neck snapped off the ropes in a really awkward way.

Terry Gordy was slowly recovering from the Superkick and was now going for the easy pin.

1…

2…

WHAM!

Precious nails Terry Gordy with the loaded purse!

Gordy is now out as is Kevin VonErich.

Jim Ross is now heard screaming, “Oh my God, is that, yes it is. It is Jimmy Jam Garvin coming to the ring.”

Garvin hops into the ring and drags KEVIN VON ERICH on top of Gordy.

Jim Ross is in shock as the ref again begins to count.

1…

2…

The crowd was stunned. Jim Ross was stunned and the VonErichs who were now the World 6 Man Tag Team Champions were stunned. Michael Hayes, Buddy Roberts and Jimmy Garvin turned their attention on Gordy and really started to whoop up on him. The VonErichs tended to Kevin who was in bad shape and did nothing about the Freebird’s internal issues.

After Gordy took a minute or two of this 3-1 attack, the crowd roared as Dr. Death Steve Williams ran to the ring. He went wild and single handedly cleared the ring of the Freebirds with punch after punch. Buddy Roberts and Jimmy Garvin hit the floor as Williams scooped up Michael Hayes.

WHAM! Oklahoma Stampede!

Hayes is down as Williams goes to Gordy and helps him to his feet. The two embrace. By this time Kevin VonErich is up and the VonErichs have regrouped in the ring. They also go to Gordy to make sure he is okay and one the most amazing things in WCCW history occurs next. The VonErichs and Bam Bam shake hands. The crowd EXPLODES!!

MATCH TIME: 25:27.

WINNERS: THE VON ERICHS (NEW USWA 6 MAN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS)

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH

THE FABULOUS ONES vs THE PERFECT ALLIANCE (Arn Anderson/Bobby Eaton) with Baby Doll

The Fab Ones are first to the ring as the crowd goes wild when the first chords of “Sharpe Dressed Man” blares from the Coliseum speakers. Baby Doll leads here men to the ring to a mixed ovation. Some seem to like them for beating the hated Sheepherders and others are excited just to get a glimpse of the Perfect 10, Baby Doll. That being said, the Fab Ones still see to have the approval of most of the crowd.

There is nothing else to say about this match other than CLASSIC! All 4 men can really move and are great tag team wrestlers. They know how to bump. They know how to sell. They know how to work together and they really know how to FLY! The fans are on the edge of their seats the entire match.

The end comes when Baby Doll tried to trip Stan Lane. Lane did not fall down but turned to look at Baby Doll who jumped right up on the apron and got in his face.

Jim Ross is heard saying, “Why does that jezebel feel the need to get involved in this great match.”

Lane kind of laughed but the damage was done. He had lost focused. He turned around right into a Spinebuster by Arn Anderson. Arn tagged in Beautiful Bobby who climbed to the top rope and leaped…..

WHAM! An Alabama Jam. Arn makes sure that Keirn can’t make the save as the ref makes the 3 count.

Jim Ross hypes up the fact that we have new USWA World Tag Team Champions as the Perfect Alliance celebrate in the ring as The Fab Ones know they let one slip away. They also stare down Baby Doll who made her presence felt tonight.

MATCH TIME: 22:50.

WINNERS: THE PERFECT ALLIANCE (NEW USWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS)

USWA NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH

HACKSAW BUTCH REED VS JYD

(LUMBERJACK MATCH)

This has been the summer of Reed vs The Dog. They have battled in every type of match and the wars have been epic. They only thing that has not occurred was a title change. They have wrestled to draw after draw and dq after dq and count out after count out. This match is the Dog’s last chance to capture the title and the Lumberjack Match might just be the style for the Dog. Reed can’t escape and to be honest, it will be interesting to see if he has any friends in the Mid-South. He keeps claiming he is the Man and walks alone. Well tonight might not be the not to be by yourself! The Lumberjacks are first to the ring and they receive either their customary cheers or boos. Except for one!

E0sEfEG.jpg?1

The crowd explodes as the see a 2 x 4 wielding Hacksaw Jim Duggan head to the ring. It is Hacksaws first appearance in the Mid-South in quite some time and the crowd loves him. He gives the fans a giant thumbs up as he finds his place amongst the other lumberjacks.

The crowd really pops as Another One Bites the Dust leads the Dog to the ring. He is pumped up by all his buddies surrounding the ring including a bandaged Tommy Rich, the VonErichs and of course, Hacksaw Jim Duggan. He enters the ring swinging a big dog chain and shaking and barking like only the Dog knows how to! Reed struts out next. No handshakes, no dancing. He means business and he doesn’t wait for the bell. He attacks JYD as soon as he gets in the ring. He quickly tosses Dog out buy he is caught by his friends and gentle helped back in the ring. The action does spill out onto the floor numerous times. Each time the same thing happened. Dog was helped in and Reed was shoved in and the Lumberjacks battled each other on the floor. Tommy Rich and Terry Taylor went at it on a few occasions and had to be separated by the other lumberjacks. Same could be said for the new Freebirds and the old Freebirds.

The war raged on and on until finally Hacksaw Reed caught JYD with an elbow to the head. He quickly turned his advantage into a Gorilla Press Slam. Victory was his if he went for the pin but instead he backed off. It looked like he was trying to hurt the Dog with more punishment. Slowly JYD pulled himself up with the aid of the ropes and he was slumped over with only the middle rope holding him up. Reed backed away and gave the signal that he was about to use his finisher, the football tackle.

Jim Ross acts like he can see into the future as he warns the fans that if he connects with this JYD is going through the ropes and the back of his head is going to hit the steel barricade.

Here comes Reed!!

At the last second, JYD is thrown out of the way by Hacksaw Duggan and Reed goes flying through the ropes head first into the steel barricade. He is busted wide open. Tommy Rich and Kerry Von Erich quickly throw Reed back into the ring. The other Lumberjacks may not like Reed but they believe this was all unfair. The lumberjacks are in an all-out brawl out on the floor as JYD simple falls onto Reed for the cover.

1….

2….

Jim Ross: “And for the first time in a very long time, we have a new North American Heavyweight Champion! JUNK YARD DOG.

MATCH TIME: 32:25.

WINNER: JUNK YARD DOG (NEW USWA NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPION)

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

JERRY “THE KING” LAWLER VS THE IRON SHEIK with Skandar Akbar

(TITLE WILL CHANGE HANDS ON A DQ)

Neither Lawler nor the Sheik took part in the Lumberjack match as they were preparing for this huge title bout. The main event pits good vs evil. “The King” Jerry Lawler is so popular here in Memphis that he could be the Mayor while The Sheik and Skandar Akbar are so hated that there has been extra security hired tonight to ensure the safety of these Un-American heathens. The Sheik and Akbar do nothing to calm the crowd as the head to the ring waving a giant Iranian flag. The Sheik takes the microphone from the ring announcer and yells and screams about how he spits on the American way of life. Then we hear his customary Tehran, Iran chant over and over again.

uLKvloW.jpg?1

Now it is time for the King to come out as he is introduced by the ring announcer. The crowd is on their feet but something just does not seem right. There is no King? The crowd just sits and waits.

Finally, the King comes stumbling out. He can barely walk and each step looks more painful than the last. Ref Pee Wee Anderson comes to his aid and asks what is wrong. Pee Wee then goes to ring announcer Marc Lowrance and explains.

“Marc Lowrance: Ladies and Gentlemen. I regret to inform you that Jerry Lawler has been injured tonight during a locker room attack and will not be able to wrestle.

The crowd is incensed. Not that we have no match but because someone would attack Lawler in the locker room. Right away they all blame Skandar Akbar! Lawler asks for the microphone.

Jerry Lawler: I didn’t say I wasn’t going to wrestle. I said that these two towel heads over here are such scum that they Pearl Harbored me in the locker room. They are not going to get away with that! This is America. This is Memphis. We work hard every day. Pain is a way of life.

Skandar Akbar grabs the microphone and denies that he and the Iron Sheik are responsible for the attack and that he is used to Americans making excuses and being racist against his people. He goes on to wonder what the Constitution stands for. Nobody in the Mid-South Coliseum is buying any of this and know they attacked Lawler.

As for the match, Lawler really can’t move and the beginning is all Sheik. The crowd is worried that Lawler will be permanently hurt here. Finally, Lawler is able to get things going. He is throwing right hand after right hand. The momentum is his and the match is his.

GjyhVrZ.jpg?1

He climbs to the top rope. Measures his fist with Sheiks head. Here we go, Top Rope Fist Drop for the victory!

Oh no, Akbar is up on the apron and shoves Lawler to the floor right on his back. Lawler is in agony as the Sheik follows him to the floor.

The crowd pops again as the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes, comes running out and WHAM! He clocks Akbar so hard that the Saudi headdress comes flying off. Akbar somehow gets up and scurries to the locker room. The Dream stays to encourage Lawler to fight these foreigner.

Once in the ring, Lawler lays face down on the mat. Jim Ross fears that his back may be broken. The Iron Sheik sits across Lawler’s back. Hooks his arms over his knees and leans back into the Camel Clutch. Lawler is writhing in pain as Dusty is basically pulling his hair out unsure what to do. One minute passes and Lawler refuses to give up. Same after two minutes. After 5 minutes in the Camel Clutch with an already injured back, Lawler is almost unconscious from the pain. Dusty has found a towel and is struggling with the decision. If he throws in the towel, this evil Iranian will be the next USWA World Champion. If he doesn’t, Jerry Lawler may never wrestle again. Rhodes begins to ask the fans and they tell him to throw in the towel. They can’t bear to watch Lawler in agony.

Rhodes throws in the towel and hits the ring and goes right after the Sheik who high tails it out of the ring. He may be the new champion but he will not celebrate in front of these fans. He is being pelted with debris all the way to the locker room as Dusty is frantically calling for the medics. These fans are not used to seeing their King lose in Memphis and not by cheating. Thank God there is extra security here tonight or else this could have turned into a real riot.

MATCH TIME: 14.02.

WINNER: THE IRON SHEIK (NEW USWA WORLD CHAMPION)

h5tZHJC.jpg?1

Jim Ross: Well what an awful ending to a glorious night of wrestling. So long from the Mid-South Coliseum.