Pro Wrestling Only

TNA Turning Point

Coffey

Guest savagerulz

Ron Killings: already been done in TNA's infancy

Abyss:Just a Mankind rip-off

Samoa Joe:Something that could def. work. His change to heel in TNA has been good so far, but his work in the X-Division isn't over yet. He needs to get that belt first, and things can go from there. Problem is, he's done very little mic work in TNA, I don't watch a lot of ROH, so I don't know if he has the skills on that end.

I bet if there was the Internet in 1986, there'd be people bitching that Flair gets the title back within a month when he loses. Or that all his matches end the same, with people running in and causing a huge schmozz.

Not to say JJ=Flair, but people didn't have easy access to streams of negative opinon back then. They were forced to come up with their own views without having them be shaped by others.

I bet if there was the Internet in 1986, there'd be people bitching that Flair gets the title back within a month when he loses.  Or that all his matches end the same, with people running in and causing a huge schmozz.

Not to say JJ=Flair, but people didn't have easy access to streams of negative opinon back then. They were forced to come up with their own views without having them be shaped by others.

Try as I might, I can't think of a single Flair title defense from the year 1986 that ended with run-ins. Not against Windham. Or Morton. Or Garvin. Or Nikita.

You know what I meant, Loss. The constant negativity on the Internet causes people to base their opinions on workers or promotions almost entirely on someone else's, which may or may not be entirely full of shit.

I think part of the appeal of watching all the classic wrestling I now own is being able to watch something that hasn't been completely torn to bits by smarky types.

Ron Killings: already been done in TNA's infancy

Abyss:Just a Mankind rip-off

Samoa Joe:Something that could def. work. His change to heel in TNA has been good so far, but his work in the X-Division isn't over yet. He needs to get that belt first, and things can go from there. Problem is, he's done very little mic work in TNA, I don't watch a lot of ROH, so I don't know if he has the skills on that end.

Ron Killings has already been there, so he could easily be built up to that level again. I'm not seeing the problem.

Abyss is just a Mankind rip-off? Well, in that case, TNA is a WWE rip-off, right? Besides, Mankind held the WWE title, so, again, what's the problem? It's better than Jarrett, whom is a Triple H rip-off.

Samoa Joe has the X-Division title...

Guest savagerulz

Killings isn't below the title, but I'm not sure the fans would buy it unless they really built him again from scratch. Abyss or Joe seem good enough, I guess.

Brings up another interesting point though. Does EVERY WWE cast-off have to come in to TNA as a face?

Guest savagerulz

Just about the biggest face pop I've ever seen in my life was the night the lights went out in ECW arena, and lit back up to reveal Brian Pillman standing in the middle of ring.

And within three minutes the crowd wanted him dead. First reaction doesn't mean jack shit.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

TNA needs to alter their strategy and adjust to the fact that they can't build the traditional heel/face feud. At best, they can get the crowd split on who to cheer by making them choose between two wrestlers. It's certainly possible, you see it done in MMA.

You know what I meant, Loss.

No, I don't. There are no similarities in the way Flair has been booked and the way Jarrett has been booked.
Sure there are, both were protected by their stablemates from losing their titles. Just because there's a canyon between the talent levels doesn't mean its not similar.

Flair didn't have the Horsemen run-in and save his title on a regular basis. He honestly didn't. I can think of Starrcade '85, where it didn't work, and later incarnations of the Horsemen where they did it way too much and Flair wasn't a draw anymore anyway, but in big money matches, in his heyday, Flair won on his own, even if he had to cheat.

I bet if there was the Internet in 1986, there'd be people bitching that Flair gets the title back within a month when he loses.  Or that all his matches end the same, with people running in and causing a huge schmozz.

I actually highly doubt it because Flair was God to the smarter fans of that era, because Flair was infinitely better on the mic, in angles and in the ring than Jarrett is today. Loss is right, Flair in 1986 is a very poor comparison to Jarrett, but there is someone who compares very favourably to him from that same era, namely Dusty Rhodes. Dusty arrogantly continued to book Jim Crockett Promotions around his tired, old act in the late 1980s despite fans turning on him and cheering the much cooler Ric Flair instead. The big difference between Jarrett and Dusty is that Dusty was a much bigger star and better talker than Jarrett will ever be, so he still had a few diehard supporters, whereas Jarrett just gets complete apathy or go away heat from the majority of his small fanbase and is thus a much bigger albatross to TNA than Dusty was to JCP.

I guarantee if there was some Internet-like communication method back in the 80s there would be much bitching over Flair never giving the title up for more than a month at a time.

Again, most of it would be bullshit like most of the griping about today's wrestling is, but it would be there.

I guarantee if there was some Internet-like communication method back in the 80s there would be much bitching over Flair never giving the title up for more than a month at a time.

I think there would be much more bitching about Dusty Rhodes hogging the spotlight and how he was undermining Flair with his booking than complaining about Flair keeping the belt for too long.

Guest Some Guy

I bet if there was the Internet in 1986, there'd be people bitching that Flair gets the title back within a month when he loses.? Or that all his matches end the same, with people running in and causing a huge schmozz.

I actually highly doubt it because Flair was God to the smarter fans of that era, because Flair was infinitely better on the mic, in angles and in the ring than Jarrett is today. Loss is right, Flair in 1986 is a very poor comparison to Jarrett, but there is someone who compares very favourably to him from that same era, namely Dusty Rhodes. Dusty arrogantly continued to book Jim Crockett Promotions around his tired, old act in the late 1980s despite fans turning on him and cheering the much cooler Ric Flair instead. The big difference between Jarrett and Dusty is that Dusty was a much bigger star and better talker than Jarrett will ever be, so he still had a few diehard supporters, whereas Jarrett just gets complete apathy or go away heat from the majority of his small fanbase and is thus a much bigger albatross to TNA than Dusty was to JCP.
Hell, Dusty tried to book TNA around himself this year.

I've seen one Joe match from TNA (the 6 man on the Impact special) and he was the most over person in that that match. The match included "Mr. TNA" AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels, who are two guys who have been consistantly pushed for much of TNA's existance. The fact that Joe came into TNA and became so over so quickly speaks for itself. He would be a much better choice for NWA champ than JJ, Rhyno, Sting, AJ, Christian, Brown, or anyone else in the company. I'd let him tear through the X Division for another few months and then have him destroy JJ.

Joe is the star they should build. He is fresh and very believable as a bad motherfucker. On top of that he is amongst the best workers in the company.

Guest savagerulz

I downloaded Turning Point and finally watched it last night. I actually enjoyed the PPV on a whole. I have to say I was blown away by AJ and Samoa Joe. What a great match that was. They need to figure out a way to get that X-Title off of him, (without him losing) and get the Heavyweight title on him and push him as an unbeatable monster. Give him a manager to talk smack for him and have him destroy jobbers and have twenty to thirty minutes of brutal action in the Main Events on PPV. He's the star they were waiting for, he just needs a mouthpiece.

Guest SweetMama Scaat

Flair, Everybody else AND their grannys were gonna put Magnum TA over around 86/87 but he was in that car accident.

Flair stayed on top not so much because of his booking but because he was the most logical one to be there.