1Bob reports Benoit is leaving WWE

Loss

MORE ON BENOIT LEAVING THE WWE, POSSIBLE TRIP TO JAPAN

By: Bob Ryder

12/14/2005 7:33:12 PM

Chris Benoit's future with the WWE will come to an end this weekend at

Armageddon where he is expected to lose against Booker T and exit the

WWE. Benoit's contract is due to expire on December 30th and it's

believed he'll go work in Japan for some dates.

Man, the last thing WWE can afford right now is to lose more talent, especially guys with experience that are somewhat established.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest savagerulz

This is what I don't understand about the E. Vince is a genius. Don't let that sentence fool you, he is. However, he's brilliant only on his terms. I can't see why he's allowing wrestlers to bail and leave, especially semi-important ones. I notice that he's only allowing mid and upper midcard guys to leave (let's not fool ourselves, Benoit hasn't been main event in a long time).

I can only believe that he is preparing for the next wave of superstars, or he's purposely sabotaging himself to get competition going again. I'm guessing it's both. If you look back, it's been almost ten years since WCW practically stole everyone from WWF. Those guys are pushing late 30s/early 40's, so maybe it's time to unleash a new batch of guys? I don't know exactly, but it's frustrating to watch.

Guest savagerulz

This is what I don't understand about the E. Vince is a genius. Don't let that sentence fool you, he is. However, he's brilliant only on his terms.

You lost me here. How exactly is Vince a genius???

Took wrestling from regional to mainstream, made new stars out of nobodies before, hired people below him who could do the thinking for him, overtook WCW by using said nobodies, took WWF to highest viewing audience ever with all other promotions combined.

He may have been acting like a dumbfuck the last 4 or 5 years, but that doesn't mean he can't get out of it. For whatever reason (even if it's just his ego), he's not doing it.

The sad thing is that guys like Benoit, Jericho, etc are really the last generation of guys who paid dues in Japan, Mexico and North American territories before getting a shot on a big stage. They learned a lot about working a crowd and parlayed things that they learned everywhere into the style that they used as stars. That type of guy, the world-travelled wrestler, is a pretty dead concept now, and there just aren't really many places anymore for wrestlers to work and learn their craft, nor are there any wrestlers who have really mastered more than one style that are big enough in size for WWE to push. The days of great wrestling have been teasing being over for years now, but it looks like they're finally coming to a close. It's spotfests that get called MOTYCs now, and WWE is now losing Benoit, Guerrero and Jericho, all in the span of about four months. Yes, there are (very few) talented guys left, but most of them don't have anyone to work with at their level. And we can't look at the other side of the coin and say that a new crop of stars will come along that's really charismatic and knows how to work outside the ring either, since their promos are all so heavily scripted by TV writers and they're not encouraged to wing it and speak from the heart.

Basically, fuck the huge number of top guys we had in wrestling just 5-6 years ago for not convincingly putting anyone over as they entered the twilight of their careers, for not mentoring the guys working their way up the ladder, and for killing wrestling companies. There were almost too many headliners between WWF and WCW in 1999-2000. How did we get where we are now, and so quickly at that?

This is what I don't understand about the E. Vince is a genius. Don't let that sentence fool you, he is. However, he's brilliant only on his terms.

You lost me here. How exactly is Vince a genius???

Took wrestling from regional to mainstream, made new stars out of nobodies before, hired people below him who could do the thinking for him, overtook WCW by using said nobodies, took WWF to highest viewing audience ever with all other promotions combined.

He may have been acting like a dumbfuck the last 4 or 5 years, but that doesn't mean he can't get out of it. For whatever reason (even if it's just his ego), he's not doing it.

Also killed the U.S. wrestling scene.

So does the XWF, mounting deaths in wrestling, killing the Invasion potential, failure to listen to the fans in the arenas, giving creative over to his unproven and ultimate failure of a daughter, holding back on pushes for guys who have potential, pushing green rookies too fast and giving the green light to some of the worst skits ever seen in the industry make him a genius also?

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

For every good idea Vince has, there are countless bad ones. The "genius" here is that when something actually, amazingly, magically, ends up working he can market it, push it, and promote it, better than just about anyone. Or at least, he was able to. Now, it seems, he's having problems telling the difference between something that is working from something that that isn't.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I blame Steph. When it's all said and done, putting her as the head of creative will be one of the moves that hurt the company a great deal, I have no doubt about that.

I also blame the XFL.

And Vince not being a genius sorta hurts it as well.