Pro Wrestling Only

Bad news about upcoming Chris Jericho book

Loss

Scott Keith states on his blog that he's being considered as a ghostwriter for Chris Jericho's book. Hopefully someone Jericho talks to on a regular basis like Dave Meltzer will clue him in that SK is not the guy for that job. I can't understand why Jericho, a pretty smart guy with a degree in Journalism, is not going to write the book himself, but maybe he simply doesn't have the time.

Jericho's book, if written honestly without fear of hurting feelings, could be as telling as any book ever written about pro wrestling, considering that he's had long runs in FMW, NJPW, WAR, EMLL, SMW, ECW, WCW and WWE, trained in Stu Hart's dungeon and has crossed paths with nearly every big name of the past 20 years at some point or another. It's not being published by WWE, which means it could be good, and it also has the potential to outsell any non-WWE-published wrestling book ever written.

In short, it's way too lucrative of a project to be ruined by Scott Keith.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

I own a book of Scott Keiths (I should have been specific on the christmas list, since "Death of WCW" got confused for "Death of WWF") and it's awful. Absolutely awful. It's his rants published, which come off as amateurish, and I can't get through a single page without rolling my eyes or banging my head. And I tend to think more highly of SKeiths work than most. I think SK is a good writer, on a whole, and would certainly have an appreciation and perspective for Jerichos career that most writers wouldn't. But what are the odds that it turns into an opinion piece by SK and gets skewed from his perspective that wouldn't necessarily be the best perspective for a Chris Jericho book? Or, at least, the one desired by the people most interested in reading it.

Jericho's book, if written honestly without fear of hurting feelings, could be as telling as any book ever written about pro wrestling, considering that he's had long runs in FMW, NJPW, WAR, EMLL, SMW, ECW, WCW and WWE, trained in Stu Hart's dungeon and has crossed paths with nearly every big name of the past 20 years at some point or another.

Agreed, but unfortunately I think we'll only get part 1 of the Chris Jericho story, as he's only planning on writing about his early career in wrestling from what I've heard. It's a smart decision by Jericho, because if he gave his honest opinions about Triple H he would probably burn his bridge with WWE.

Guest savagerulz

It's not being published by WWE, which means it could be good, and it also has the potential to outsell any non-WWE-published wrestling book ever written.

Without the WWF push? Shit. It'll be lucky to get more than that "one copy in a store" thing most of the ECW Press books get. If it outsells "Sex, Lies and Headlocks" which went to paperback and had attention from mainstream press I'll be shocked. But who knows. God knows the last Fozzy album sold well.

Trust me on this, there's NO WAY that book comes close... nay, the same hemisphere... of sales that Flair's got. It was read by SPORTS fans, not just wrestling fans, because Flair's the one guy who has legitimate respect among non-wrestling sports fans who want to sound well-rounded.

As where Jericho's the guy who does that 80s metal gimmick.

As for Scott Keith...yikes. But he is an uber Jericho mark, so at least the book will go light on the man himself.