Pro Wrestling Only

GOAT actor stuff

MoS

If actor can also mean actress, then how about Meryl Streep for HBK (not a PWI favorite I know) or Kobashi? Undeniable career and resume but definitely a strong emphasis on "show stealing" or epic syle (albeit in two different ways for HBK and Kobashi), or in actor lingo, "winning the scene."

How about Terry Funk as Gary Oldman? Amazing acting range--Terry was great at being a face or a heel and different takes on each. Plus, longevity, somewhat under-recognized but extremely respected by anybody in the industry, and not that often given major lead parts, but he delivers very strong when put there. Both could be very over the top, especially in "crazy" parts, and could get pigeonholed into those spots, but always good at it and usually plenty of depth, entertainment, and work to it, if you play attention.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see Meryl Streep being the equivalent of Shawn, for the simple reason that I think Streep is gebuinely awesome andnhas a lot of extremely versatile performances, and I don't feel that way about Shawn. Kobashi I can definitely see, although her longevity is really more comparable to some of the lucha legends.

Funk as Oldman is a great pick.

Toshiro Mifune = Jumbo - Ultimate intensity. Capable of giving more than anyone else ever, when motivated, Unbelievable body of work.

Peter Sellers = Johnny Saint - You think he's just goofy? Look closer. He's great. Absolutely, great. And truly one of a kind.

Humphrey Bogart = Dick Beyer - Can make you laugh, gasp, fight back the tears, laugh again, then blow your mind and break your heart.

Heath Ledger = Bryan Danielson - Already clearly one of the best when he was working in the indies. Taken away from us at his peak, and before his time.

Jonah Hill = Kevin Owens - That guy's a star? That guy? Look at him. That's not what a star looks like.

Ken Watanabe = Mutoh - Better known in America than other, arguably better, Japanese guys. Capable of greatness in the right situation.

Rinko Kikuchi = Kana - Poised to take over America's hearts.

Takeshi Kitano = Atsushi Onita - Did it his way, and and in the process re-imagined his art form. Ran the show as well as starring in it.

Anthony Quinn = Negro Casas - Versatile, charismatic, capable of creating great drama and big moments

Sean Connery = Billy Robinson - Tough as nails, but a true gentleman... except when he isn't. Could be more versatile, but does what he does as well as anyone ever has or ever will.

Tom Hardy = Dynamite Kid - You wanna mess with that little British guy? Didn't think so. Perhaps even more versatile and talented than he's generally given credit for being.

Jack Lemmon = Ricky Morton - Who's better at being beat down but not quite out?

Robert Downy = Jake Roberts - "Give me a scotch, I'm starving."

Tom Hanks = Ricky Steamboat - Can he play a heel? Who cares!

Anthony Hopkins = Jim Breaks - A classic heel with a million tricks up his sleeve.

And I'd vote Eastwood = Funk

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Trying to think who'd be comparable to Denzel, and it's either Bret or Shawn but I'm leaning more towards Bret. Bret made his name as a technician and not so much a flashy persona, but became WWF champion. Denzel did serious theater and television, won two Oscars, but credibly headlined several movies by the producer perhaps most like Vince McMahon, Jerry Bruckheimer. Comparable egos, and I would not doubt it if Denzel ever thought to himself that he was the best there, is the best there was and the best there ever will be. And he'd probably be right. 

• 2 years later...

James Gandolfini = Vader. Not sure where I got the brain wave on this but it has more to do with the presence on screen/in ring combined with the eventuality that you’re also watching someone who is just a genius at what he does. I didn’t see much of the end of his WCW run but when he was a babyface in the WWF he made it work. I would add Earthquake to that list too, he wasn’t bad for a huge babyface either.

My favorite Gandolfini performance is in Sidney Lumet’s Night Falls on Manhattan, playing a dirty cop and the partner to Andy Garcia’s character’s father, played effortlessly by Ian Holm. In perhaps his more well known film roles, Gandolfini touched on things he explored deeper on The Sopranos but also made his presence felt in sometimes surprising ways, such as in this or in his last film 2013’s The Drop.