Pro Wrestling Only

TNA Considering new titles in '06.

sek69

TNA is considering adding a Women's title (NWA World Women's title perhaps?) and a tag team X divison title sometime in the next year.

The X tag title would add some depth to the division and give some of the guys not in the singles X title hunt something to do, and I have to admit I'm interested to see what a non WWE company can do with women's wrestling. I don't see why it can't find a niche without having to be reduced to bra and panty jello pudding fights.

Guest savagerulz

The X tag title would add some depth to the division and give some of the guys not in the singles X title hunt something to do

Just think of the overabundance of belts it would create. Plus, it's not as if these same guys couldn't go after regular tag titles.

Guest savagerulz

Here's what you do though...you make the rest of those titles mean more by having EVERYONE who can gun for them. The more people gunning for a belt, the stronger the BELT is. They got it with the world title. They sort of have it with the X-title (prior to Joe's arrival, seems like everyone wanted it). You only dilute the importance of other belts by adding more. Strengthen what you have and it will reap more benefits.

I'd wager the fact that this is being considered would mean that TNA must think they're going to get additional TV time in 2006. The ratings for Impact have been steady, the one dip was recovered the next week. They've done the best you could hope for with the incredibly shitty timeslot they currently have. I think once WWE starts getting pre-empted by dog shows again, you're going to start seeing 2 hour TNA shows.

I know most people have been trained by the WWE "divas" to think that most women wrestlers are talentless bimbos with ginormous fake knockers, but there's a lot of talented women workers in various NWA territories that TNA could bring in that would mean a women's division with actual wrestling talent.

Guest savagerulz

And they already have Gail Kim.

I think once WWE starts getting pre-empted by dog shows again, you're going to start seeing 2 hour TNA shows.

By the way, I don't think USA has the Dog Show anymore. But if they still have tennis or something, then they might get bumped for that. Or if the ratings decline any more, "Monk" reruns.

And they already have Gail Kim.

I think once WWE starts getting pre-empted by dog shows again, you're going to start seeing 2 hour TNA shows.

By the way, I don't think USA has the Dog Show anymore. But if they still have tennis or something, then they might get bumped for that. Or if the ratings decline any more, "Monk" reruns.

Raw's getting bumped in Feb, I believe, for the dog show.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

In terms of making the most out of the time given, TNA has done a pretty shitty job, if you ask me. They try to cram way too much stuff in, and even the thought of more titles suggests that they still don't know how to use their TV effectively.

I'm thinking this means that they expect to get a second hour of tv next year.

I liked the idea of the X Division Tag Titles. That way they can leave the belt on Samoa Joe for a long time and still give the second tier guys something to fight for.

I think they need a Television or United States belt over a Women's belt. It's been shown time and time again that some of the heavyweights like Chris Harris have needed a secondary title at points. Plus with a Television Title you could bring back the 10 minute time limit match for it on tv.

Guest CanadianChick

I was always annoyed that that stupid WOW promotion had all of these rejects they were training as they went but never brought in any veteran talent like her.

Actually now that I think about it Kai worked some dark matches for TNA in the early days.

Yep. She worked against Canada's own Madison in a dark match and actually won the NWA Women's title from her.

I've always hated the idea that mid-carders "need" titles to have something to do. No, what they need is GOOD WRITERS/BOOKERS to give them something to do.

Agreed. And if you book with the idea of making everyone a star, no one is. So much parity booking in WWE the last few years that people have come to expect wrestling to be that way, where there aren't any ruffled feathers on or off screen and people just coast along trading wins back and forth on every PPV before moving on to something else.

If you look back on companies with multiple singles titles, there has always been a reason for them. The Intercontinental title was a belt that got pushed when WWE started running two sets of house shows and needed another strong belt to headline the B shows. In the early 90s, it morphed more into a belt for guys climbing the ladder and when Russo started booking, it became a prop and lost all meaning. It really doesn't serve any type of purpose at all and is not reflective of the company pushing a wrestler, despite the arguments of someone who will typically point to an IC title reign as proof of the company getting behind a wrestler, when it usually means dick all.

And in WCW, the TV title was originally created just because Crockett would be getting a cable deal soon and wanted a belt that could be defended on television to draw ratings, without giving away too many big matches and killing any reason to come to house shows. The US title had roots in the territory as the top title (merged with the National title in August of '85) and still meant something in the Mid Atlantic area and was capable of drawing. Not that it would have happened by '85 or so, but if the Board of Directors pulled a power play to get the belt off of Flair, they still had their top title held by one of their top stars, and it had lineage for local fans and could draw. When Lex Luger won the World title while holding the US title in 1991, the belt lost all meaning and was a prop for the next 10 years, just as it has been in WWE since getting revived.

Secondary titles in a national wrestling company where there's only one touring group are really meaningless. It's just a wrestling standard that was based on a territory business model where house shows are the main source of revenue that was applied to a national business model based on television ratings and pay-per-views, to little or no success.