Pro Wrestling Only

PWI Memories

goodhelmet

I saw the 100th Issue on e-bay and I could not resist. I had this issue as a kid and it was one of my favorites. As I go through it, I'll go through their lists and other odds and ends.

10 Most Influential Wrestlers of the PWI Years (1979-87)

Andre the Giant

Bob Backlund

Kerry Von erich

Ric Flair

Hulk Hogan

Roddy Piper

Dusty Rhodes

Harley Race

Bruno Sammartino

Road Warriors

10 Greatest Events

Shea Stadium 8-9-80

WWF Title v. NWA Title 7-4-82

Harley Race wins a record 7th title 6-10-83

Starrcade 11-24-83

Hogan wins WWF title 1-23-84

Kerry Von Erich defeats Ric Flair for NWA title 5-6-84

Wrestlemania 3-31-85

Wrestling returns to network TV after 30 year absence with SNME 5-11-85

First Crockett Cup 4-19-86

Wrestlemania 3 (Biggest Crowd Ever) 3-29-87

Honorable Mentions:

Vern Gagne retires 5-10-81

Iron Sheik-Sgt. Slaughter feud 1984

Night of Champions 5-29-84

War to Settle the Score 2-18-85

PWI/UWF Challenge Cup Tournament 10/86 - 12/86

I'm actually wanting to get my hands on as many PWIs and old Observers as possible, I've recently decided. In addition to the nostalgia and good look at the storylines and behind-the-scenes stuff, I'm also thinking I may be able to track down more dates on some stuff through the results sections in both magazines.

Agreed 100%. For instance, a letter to the editor asked the guy what he thought about the Honkytonk Man and the guy rips into HTM talking about his mediocre ability.

That's why I used to read that magazine because I know sometimes they would just tell the truth and that was something I needed in those days when we didn't have the internet.

But than again that really made some of their articles difficult to figure out especially when the truth got mixed up with kayfabe.

To be honest, one of the reasons that PWI covered Flair so much and dissed Hogan was becasue they only had limited access to the WWF. JCP opened their arms wide open to Apter whereas Vince's response was to start their own magazine. If McMahon & HOgan were more receptive to Apter's mags back in the day then you would have had a much different perspective.

Yep, that's why Dusty Rhodes would always win "Most Popular Wrestler" when Hogan was ions more over. Even at age 8 I knew something was up.

As far as them being smarkish, I remember some issues in 96 that mentioned the "The Clique" having backstage power in WWF. That's how I originally found out that Hall, Nash, Hunter, Kid, and Shawn were all friends.

There was also an article back in 95 that ripped the WWF for using Bret Hart so poorly during the year. As a mark and due to the fact I was not a big Bret fan at all I remember sort off being pissed at the author.

They also talked about the Beverly Brothers being scheduled for a tag title run in the early 90s but plans were changed.

They also referred to Shawn Michaels as Mike Hickenbottom on several occasions

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Mike Campbell

My favorite of the Apter Mags was always the quarterly issue of WRESTLING ## (ex. WRESTLING 83, 84, 85 etc). The covers were awesome, and the articles were usually pretty interesting. The DVD cover for the Magnum/Nikita 20 years later shoot interview, was ripped off from the cover of an issue of WRESTLING 86.

To be honest, one of the reasons that PWI covered Flair so much and dissed Hogan was becasue they only had limited access to the WWF. JCP opened their arms wide open to Apter whereas Vince's response was to start their own magazine. If McMahon & HOgan were more receptive to Apter's mags back in the day then you would have had a much different perspective.

I remember that Vince wouldn't let PWI photographers ringside at WWF events. Their pics for Hogan-Warrior were all wide angle shots because their guy literally had to buy a ticket to WM to even get in the building.

I find it hilarious that all these years later, WWF Magazine got turned into RAW Magazine and is pretty much a waste of paper these days and PWI is still plugging along.