Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling books that you own/have read

Guest Dangerous A

I was out of work for almost six months, so as a result, I hadn't bought anything new to read in ages. Now that I have a new job, and money coming in, I caught up on my wishlist. I just finished reading a bunch of wrestling books, some of which were mentioned in this thread, so I figured I'd dig it up again and throw in my two cents.

Posted Image

Hardcore History by Scott Williams is actually quite good. It covers the history of ECW from start to finish. I think because the author is a reporter, he has a very good grasp on how to properly structure a story, and conduct interviews which get the information you need to tell the story. He had cooperation from many former ECW stars, and Dave Meltzer as well. The book does not come across as totally buying into Paul Heyman's supposed genius, nor does it do a total hatchet job on him. (That's a surprise since he thanks John D. Williams in the forward.) The book also provides some great insights into Heyman's problems with Stephanie since he joined the WWE. If you were an ECW fan, even casually, I'd get this book. I know there is now a WWE version of ECW history...endorsed by Paul Heyman and Tommy Dreamer...but I'd skip that and get this.

Posted Image

Pain and Passion: The History of Stampede Wrestling is very similar to the ECW book. Written by a reporter, it gives a fair account of the Hart Family and their legacy left through the Stampede promotion. He gets interviews with many of the key players, Bret Hart, Bruce Hart, Keith Hart, as well as tons of the older stars such as Bad News and Abdullah. The later chapters of this book read like a modern day horror story...I was totally floored as I read of the implosion of the Hart family after Owen's death...and I came out of this having little respect for Martha Hart, and to an even larger extent, Bruce Hart. I actually know a guy who briefly trained under Bruce Hart last year, and he confirms the worst of the stories in this book. Even the so-called "beloved" Ed Whalen doesn't escape close scrutiny, and we see things behind the scenes that Whalen did to both help and hurt Stampede wrestling.

I should note, if you are one of the people who loved Dynamite Kid's book, you should read this one. The author interviews Tom Billington's ex-wife, and gets her side on a lot of the things covered in that book. There is at least one chapter devoted to Dynamite Kid, and like Billington's book, it's very interesting and adds even more insight into this amazing performer.

My only gripe is this...I myself used to watch Stampede Wrestling in the late 80's. McCoy spends a ton of time on the glory days of Stampede, but then pretty much skips over the era which I was most familiar with. Guys like Benoit barely get a mention, and even worse, some of the top talent from that era like Beef Wellington and Gary Allbright get no mention at all. Still in all, I would highly recomend this book.

Posted Image

Wrestling At The Chase: The Inside Story Of Sam Muchnick And The Legends Of Professional Wrestling is a good book...but I have a few problems with it. To say that Larry Matysik looks at St. Louis through "rose colored glasses" would be an understatement. He dishes next to NO dirt on anybody...and in many cases he actually glosses over some obviously unpopular people. Dick Murdoch is referred to in glowing terms...which as a worker, you can't disagree with. As a human being? It's pretty much a documented fact that Murdoch was a total racist jerk, and that gets no mention whatsoever...Murdoch is made out to be a saint. We hear about how Butch Reed got held back in St. Louis and Kansas City, and Matysik actually asks "could it be because of his skin color?" when Matysik was one of the few people who could say for a fact if it was. Same problem with Brody. Larry Matysik pays some lip service to the reputation Brody had, and mentions his no showing events due to money disputes...but then he goes on to dedicate a chapter to what a great guy he was. I was shocked that he admitted that Brody destroyed the evidence of David Von Erich's suicide in Japan...because he shares next to no inside information aside from that incident.

Surprisingly, one of the few names that Matysik has less than great things to say about is Harley Race. He dedicates a few paragraphs to talking about how once Race was part of the ownsership of the St. Louis Wrestling Club, he started refusing to do jobs for anybody, except Giant Baba. He especially takes exception to Race losing the Missouri title to David Von Erich via countout. I find that ironic for two reasons, firstly, Matysik seems reluctant to say something bad about ANYBODY, and secondly, in every wrestling book I've read...Mick Foley's, Dynamite Kid's, Billy Graham's, NOBODY has anything bad to say about Harley Race. We find out later in the book that Race and Matysik ended up being business rivals, and that might explain why Race is one of the few people Matysik says anything remotely resembling negative about. Of course...he doesn't mention that Brody went over 6 years without ever jobbing. In fact, he tries to make it sound like Brody put Jumbo over in Japan, when the match he's talking about was a countout...just like Race and Von Erich!

Matysik also gives you the impression that every match that ever took place in St. Louis was a five star classic, at one point he brings up the infamous Flair/Brody 60 minute match which caused all the hoopla over at the Wrestling Classics board a while back. Matysik talks about how Brody and Flair didn't keep one hold on for more than a minute, and the match was all action...when there is video tape evidence (which I have seen) that proves otherwise.

Matysik does an excellent job of explaining the Muchnick booking philosophy, however he paints it as the "right" way to do things. Obviously, that is up for debate. No managers except for Bobby Heenan...and no manager interference. No ref bumps. Blading should be rarely done, if ever. No brawling outside the ring. He even alludes to people getting disqualified for jumping off the top rope. Matysik goes into how feuds must be logical and not require outlandish reasons for starting...but then tells a story of the Dick The Bruiser/Ric Flair rivalry which was born when The Bruiser stomped on Flair's robe and called him a SISSY! Ooooh. Cutting edge stuff there! Some of the things Muchnick did however, were very logical and should be required reading for anybody wanting to book a fed. His approach to championship titles, and to the fans is admirable. There is a lot of good in this book, no doubt.

Here's the thing...I've SEEN Wrestling At The Chase...the actual Television show. It's carried on the Fight Network. It's filmed in a Hotel Ballroom...with one static camera, and a ring which is HUGE...24X24, as opposed to 18X18. Some of it is good...but some of it is boring as a dog's ass and plain old outdated...as are a lot of Matysik's ideas. Many of the things I love about wrestling would never have been allowed back then, and I don't think Matysik truly understands that.

The book itself is laid out in a goofy fashion as well, chapters are interupted with wrestler profiles every other, and he actually reprints some of his old St. Lous Wrestling newsletter articles which are about as engrossing as watching paint dry. There can be no doubt whatsoever that Vince Russo should have been forced at gunpoint to read this book. It highlights what is wrong with wrestling today...but maybe that's part of the problem. Rather than telling many interesting stories, Matysik gets caught up in talking about how great things were back in the old days. If you can get a copy of this, it's worth a look, but be prepared to roll your eyes a lot.

Posted Image

Superstar Billy Graham: Tangled Ropes is one of the best, if not THE best Wrestling Autobiographies I have ever read. He goes the exact opposite of Matysik, Graham dishes dirt on EVERYBODY...Murdoch was a bigot, Gagne was a doofus, Backlund was a rube...and he himself was a junkie. He tells about how Jimmy Valliant was once so fucked up on drugs he bladed his arm, with a scalpel, while Graham had him in a headlock...because he thought it would be a good time to get juice. He tells a hilarious story about Mad Dog Vachon getting drunk on an airplane, and threatening to jump out the door...and Graham suggests that if he'd been there, he would have pushed him. Graham is just as hard on himself as he is on anybody else in his book...he details his descent into hell with drug abuse, no shows, infidelity, and self pity. He talks candidly about his overdoses and the lies he told. Part of the book can be seen as an attempt to suck up to Vince...but in all honesty he just tells as he remembers it and tells one hell of an interesting story in the process. Graham had one of the most roundabout routes to wrestling stardom I've ever seen. He went from Bodybuilder to Preacher to Bouncer to Football Player to Wrestler, with a bunch of other careers inbetween. Even if you don't like Superstar Billy Graham, it's hard not to enjoy this book. I liked it so much I bought the DVD "20 Years Too Soon" and was impressed by that as well. Highlights are the awesome Graham Promos (which are STILL better than a lot of the stuff we see today) and the Graham vs. Dusty Rhodes feud which sold out Madison Square Garden three times. If you're a wrestling fan...you should read this book, it's that simple.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Big Papi

Off the top of my head (in no particular order):

-Both Foley books

-Sex, Lies and Headlocks

-Hogan's

-Flair's

-Guerrero's

-I have the Rock's but I never read it