Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling books that you own/have read

Guest Dangerous A

Guest Dangerous A

I'm only 4 chapters in, and already I'm declaring "Wrestling at the Chase" required reading for any serious wrestling fan. Just absolute gold.

First chapter was on David Von Erich. Very surprising to read that Bruiser Brody and one of the referees found David dead in his hotel and that Brody made a judgment call to flush the remaining prescription pills of pain meds David had left down the toilet and chuck the bottle to hide a potential suicide. IIRC, they diagnosed David's death as an intestinal inflammation.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top 20:

1. Fabulous Kangaroos

2. Road Warriors

3. British Bulldogs

4. Dusek Riot Squad

5. Pat Patterson and Ray Stevens

6. Minnesota Wrecking Crew

7. Fabulous Freebirds

8. Assassins

9. Rock N Roll Express

10. Midnight Express

11. Great Goliath and Black Gordman

12. Harley Race and Larry Hennig

13. Bruiser and Crusher - opps missed it, now I feel like an idiot

14. Ben and Mike Sharpe

15. Arn Anderson and Tully Blanchard

16. Interns

17. Mike and Doc Gallagher

18. Kalmikoffs

19. Von Brauners

20. Rip Hawk and Swede Hanson

Next 5:

Nick Bockwinkel and Ray Stevens

Fabulous Fangos

Hollywood Blondes

Royal Kangaroos

the Vachons

Guest Dangerous A

They also have a book by the same publishing group that deals with Canadiens. I wasn't much interested in that one, but do own the tag teams book. Very good and a must have for anyone who like pro wrestling history.

Guest Mike Campbell

I'm interested in picking up Wrestling At the Chase, especially after DA's comments. Also "The Sheik of _______" sorry, blanking on the rest of the title. But it's about Sheik Adnan Al Kaisee. Seems like a good read.

Guest Some Guy

I just got:

Wrestling At The Chase - Just started it.

Cheating Life, Stealing Death - Very good.

Secrets of Wrestling Revealed (The Get in the Ring book) - Kind of stupid

Walking the Golden Mile (Regal's book) - Haven't read it yet.

King of the Ring (Harley Race's book) - Very good, but like Funk's book it is far too short to do his career justice.

Superstar Graham's book is OTW.

Guest Dangerous A

I'm halfway through Wrestling at the Chase and it's fascinating. It should be required reading to anyone remotely interested in booking as well as booking disciplines that would really help the current wrestling scene if it were more adhered to.

Guest Dangerous A

Basically, Larry Matysik points out Sam Mushnick's booking philosophies and disciplines. Just a couple of points about Sam's booking...

- He didn't like to hotshot. Sam felt hotshotting might work to pop a crowd once or so, but then there is a letdown that you can't match. Sam was all about consistency and respecting the audience. Sam never refferred to fans as "marks" because he felt it disrespected the people putting money in your bank and food on your table.

- Sam subscribed to the 6-8 interchangeable guys on top to keep main events fresh versus one guy knocking back challenger after challenger, although Mushnick has seen that approach work. Sam came from a real sports background and was of the theory that a 4-5 team pennant race was more exciting than a one team runaway.

- They booked backwards. If the champion is going to be in town in April (NWA champ came to St. Louis every once in awhile) they'd better start building up whoever was going to be facing that champ starting in January.

- Was adamant about guys doing jobs and if you didn't want to job, you couldn't work for Sam. Was of the thinking that if you were built up to face the champion and didn't beat him, it didn't mean you went back down to midcard status like today. Nick Bockwinkel also said that doing jobs actually convinced him to work harder because he wanted to put doubt in the promoter's head about whether or not the right guy went over and a good performance jobbing to a champion actually raised your value.

- Was huge on protecting the championship versus protecting the champion. Sam felt the championship was the most important thing.

- When booking always ask yourself "Does this make sense?" when it comes to storylines and "Will it draw money?" when it comes to angles for the main event and who should go over.

There are a bunch of other things. I may do a more in depth synopsis or book review for this particular message board once I finish the book.

Awesome write-up DA. In fact, that gives me an idea I will expand on in another thread.

However, I went on an Amazon binge this weekend and received 3 books...

Wrestling at the Chase (It couldn't have arrived on a more appropriate day)

The Pro Wrestling Hall of Fame: The Tag Teams (So far, this looks very interesting. Some of the bios are a little on the short side but it also serves as an introduction to wrestlers and teams I have never heard of or know little about.)

Lucha Libre: The Masked Superstars of Mexican Wrestling

(The best $17 I have spent so far. This book is a combination of articles on famous lucha stars and photographs captured by Lourdes Grobet. I was a little concerned when I saw all of these Spanish sentences leaping out of the pages but after a couple of minutes I realized that they have every article written in Spanish AND English. Since lucha is my next conquest after Mid South, I think this book will be a valuable resource in hunting some of the stars mentioned.)

• 2 months later...
Guest savagerulz

For my birthday I got "Hardcore History" by Scott Williams. I hope to write a review when it's completed but in the meantime here's the first one I've seen:

Hardcore History reviewed on WO

Williams, who daylights as a court reporter, shines in his presentation and examination of the subject. He asks the right questions of the right people, and provides motivations and depth to the story. I?m certain the WWE sponsored offering will be the definitive, authorized history, having the likes of the ?mad scientist? Paul Heyman, as well as Tommy Dreamer and Taz(z) and assorted voices captured under contract. While John Lister?s Turning the Tables painted an excellent picture of what ECW looked like in literary form, Hardcore History though is far from being superficial, and undoubtedly touches more truths than the WWE would ever dare.

Should be a blast.

I just finished up the Watts book. It was a really good read. The keeping it real, and the land of the tough guys were really good. I also liked the chapter on the blockbuster trade. It was a little heavy handed on the relegion that sometimes felt like a lecture. Overall, just a really good read for the most part.

I just got Tributes 1 in the mail so I'm looking forward to that book.

- Was adamant about guys doing jobs and if you didn't want to job, you couldn't work for Sam. Was of the thinking that if you were built up to face the champion and didn't beat him, it didn't mean you went back down to midcard status like today. Nick Bockwinkel also said that doing jobs actually convinced him to work harder because he wanted to put doubt in the promoter's head about whether or not the right guy went over and a good performance jobbing to a champion actually raised your value.

I agree with the sentiment, and for the most part, this is probably true, but there are exceptions to this in St. Louis, Bruiser Brody being the biggest one.

Guest Dangerous A

I think Matysik protects Brody quite a bit in the book because the two were so close. I'm sure Mushnick had to deal with people being hard asses about jobbing and what not the same as anyone promoting at the time. Matysik kind of romanticizes the period quite a bit in regards to guys agreeing to job and coming to finishes.

During the period of St Louis, fans were also a lot more accepting of time limit draws, double count outs, and DQ finishes a lot more than today's wrestling fans so that sort of makes up for top guys and drawing cards not having to do the honors so much.

I think Matysik protects Brody quite a bit in the book because the two were so close. I'm sure Mushnick had to deal with people being hard asses about jobbing and what not the same as anyone promoting at the time. Matysik kind of romanticizes the period quite a bit in regards to guys agreeing to job and coming to finishes.

During the period of St Louis, fans were also a lot more accepting of time limit draws, double count outs, and DQ finishes a lot more than today's wrestling fans so that sort of makes up for top guys and drawing cards not having to do the honors so much.

I know people probably hold back because of what happened, but Brody was really quite the douche to almost every US promoter. He would win titles then vacate them due to some injury that he always seemed to come down with when he was leaving the territory and was asked to job to someone.

Was Brody even enough of a draw to justify him behaving the way he did?