Pro Wrestling Only

Invader III vs. Super Black Ninja (1/30/88)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

Hot start with Invader III controlling with arm drags. Muto seems taller than usual. Crowd is hot as usual. Muto was such an explosive athlete during this time. It is really impressive to watch him flip around and take basic bumps. Invader III is really good. He’s not Invader I, that’s an unfair standard. But he’s a really good small babyface wrestler. He bumps and sells really well, has exciting offense and a clear connection with the crowd. Muto is good here. It’s easy to see why it was so hard for him to be a heel in this era and why fans always ended up cheering for him. He does some cheating and begging off but he is just so cool and spectacular and unique in this era that its hard not to root for him. The crowd is mic’d like a lucha show so they’re hard to hear but you can tell they are going crazy for Invader’s comeback after Muto misses the big elbow off the top. Love the finish to this match. Good overall. It seemed like it was about to really blow up when it ended but I still dug this.

• 1 month later...
I liked this a bunch, even if the ending felt a bit abrupt. I really love how early days Muta moves around the ring. Maybe he's always moved like this, but it's been so long since I've watched any later-career Muta that I don't remember. I said it about him in the Invader I match, but how he conducts himself is just flat out cool. He has a real snap to his bumps and even the way he gets in and out of the ring has a sort of menacing elegance to it. He's solid enough on offence as well, but it's seeing how he reacts to things defensively, how he regroups and comes back for another go; that's where I get the most out of him. Invader III has brought lots of nice offence whenever he's shown up on this set and he was really good trading quick holds with Muta early, running the ropes at speed and hitting a great looking Super Astro-style headbutt. He doesn't really bother selling Muta's legwork from the middle of the match, but the crowd are super into the finishing run so I doubt THEY cared. At first I thought the finish might've been a referee flub because it looked like things were just starting to get hot, but either way this was good stuff.

• 1 year later...

I'll echo the thoughts on Muta. The guy just has a completely different way of doing just about everything and it works. I also liked the comparison of junior heavyweight body types. Muta is average height and skinny but built. Invader 3 is only a junior heavyweight due to being short. If he was 2 or 3 inches taller he'd be heavyweight for sure. Agile as Hell for what he looks like though.