Pro Wrestling Only

Super Medico vs. Hercules Ayala (1/30/88)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

HUGE Crowd and they are HOT as fuck as Medico jumps Ayala right away and beats the shit out of him. WOW! Who is Super Medico? Holy fuck! Ayala bails and it’s a slugfest when he gets back in. He bails again after a cross body block and 2 count. Great start! Super Medico has won my heart. All sorts of really fun babyface schtick early on. Chicky even tries to get involved while dressed up like Ron Burgundy. Classic transition as Medico puts his head down too early on a back drop attempt. Ayala isn’t a very exciting wrestler and a lot of his control is stomps, punches, kicks, knees which is normally fine enough for me but Ayala just doesn’t hit the spot. The crowd hates him though and eat up his shit and Medico is a good underdog who the crowd loves so the heat really makes Ayala’s time in command enjoyable. Ayala’s timing is really good in terms of cutting off Medico’s hope spots though. He’s effective enough honestly. I just hold that over the line texas death match where he stomped Colon to death against him. INSANE pop for Medico locking in the sleeper but it was just another hope spot. And it was an amazing one. This crowd is gonna go nuts when he makes his comeback. Back from commercial and Ayala slams Medico leading to a missed elbow drop. Medico finally starts to lay in some shots but he gets cut off again by his own enthusiasm. Ayala goes to work on the legs to set up his figure 4. Each time Medico fights off Ayala the crowd explodes. This is awesome. Ayala is relentless going after the leg now. When he makes the ropes to break a figure 4, WOW. They really got me with this one. Terrific match. I love this Super Medico! And this might have been Ayala’s best performance.

• 1 month later...
This was really good and I'd put it right alongside the Savage match as Ayala's best on the set so far. He was mostly decent in this, but Super Medico was great. I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen him twice, and both times have been on this set, but he feels like a guy we should know more about. His punch flurries are amazing and the crowd go totally nuts for them. All of his early control was good stuff, then when Ayala takes over he's really fun selling from the bottom, fighting for his hope spots then crashing and burning as Ayala cuts him off. Puerto Rico seems to be a territory that knows how to make the figure four feel like a huge deal. There've been a few of the Colon matches where the build to him finally locking it in has been exceptional, and the build to it in this was great as well. Medico tries and tries to keep Ayala away, but Ayala keeps going back to that leg, dropping elbows, stomping on the ankle, twisting and yanking away. When he finally gets it in Medico just sells the absolute crap out of this and it's honestly some of the best desperation selling I've seen from someone in a hold. I thought for sure he'd give it up, but he made it to the ropes and I even had a little fist pump of my own. We need more Super Medico.

• 1 year later...

Medico was great here, Ayala seems like a guy who is over enough that he can get away with being fairly bland on offense. Especially as a heel. I will say his Arn Anderson elbow to the back of the head to counter a backdrop was pretty good though. Those Medico punch flurries are all kinds of insanely awesome and HOW has somebody not ripped that off? The crowd was nuclear for this, anytime Medico makes a comeback it is such a huge deal. The other takeaway I have from this match is that Chicky Starr has an awesome purple sport coat and he doesn't want to sully it by becoming physically involved. And who would?