Pro Wrestling Only

Abdullah the Butcher vs. Dutch Mantell (2/27/88)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

DUTCH! All right! Abby jumps Dutch at the bell and starts throwing punches and headbutts. They go outside right away and Abby slams Dutch on a table and continues beating on him. Back in and Abby plays hide the fork from the ref and stabs Dutch in the face a few times. Abby continues to dominate with chops and a lot of eye gouging. Dutch gets his whip and uses it to make his comeback; choking and punching Abby with it. Stark contrast with the Brody match as the crowd stays hot from start to finish on this. Abby is busted open and Dutch keeps after him with great punches on the cut. Abby is always so great selling out on his feet. Chicky Starr looks like a cross between Mitchell from Modern Family and Christopher Guest from Best in Show in this match. I want him to name every nut. Abby chokes Dutch out with a clothes hanger and ends up getting DQ’d. Crowd is mortified. I’m delighted. Abby continues to attack Dutch post match as Chicky nods in approval and finally starts throwing some shots in including a headbutt that will make you laugh out loud if you have any soul. Chicky was a master. Dutch is left choked out and Abby attacks Victor Quinones after the match just for fun. LOVED this. This is like the opposite of the Brody/Dory match. Abby finished 234 on GWE and that’s such a travesty watching all of these matches. He only made 17 ballots. You can keep Kenta Kobashi. I’ll take Abdullah the Butcher.

• 1 month later...
This was more like the Dutch you want. In the Gran Guera matches he sort of hung back and stayed out the way, but he was obviously a central focus in this. Abby jumps him at the bell and slams him on the table, then the fork comes out and Dutch is cut open a few minutes in. Abby chucks him out the ring and Dutch happens to land beside the guy who's holding Shoo Baby, so of course Dutch gets back in and lets loose with the whip. DQ finish probably isn't surprising (Hugo on commentary suggests it won't be surprising to Abby either, but he's never cared about such things anyway), but I love Chicky passing Abby a coat-hanger and Abby using it to try and strangle Mantell. I was hoping for a short, fun brawl out of these two and that's what I got.

• 1 year later...