Pro Wrestling Only

Rock n Roll Express vs. Bobby Jaggers & Dan Kroffat (3/19/88)

El Boricua

• 2 weeks later...

This looks interesting. RNR’s start off on top with Jaggers bumping around and trying to tag out to Ricky Morton leading to more bumping around. Crowd is hot, RnR’s are fucking masters are this sort of showing up the heels early on schtick. I love Morton’s headlock takeover here. Both guys do a great job with it. Jaggers is just getting shown up over and over again so he finally has to tag out to Kroffat. By the way, I can’t go another Kroffat match without pointing out “Dandy Dan Kroffat” makes me laugh out loud every single time and I will ONLY call him Dandy Dan Kroffat from now until eternity. Dandy Dan is a great athlete at this point. He has some really good bumps and some really explosive moments. I also really like all of his schtick showing ass stuff too. I almost think All Japan might have limited his potential because he couldn’t do a lot of the really fun bullshit involved with tag wrestling. He should’ve gone to WCW to form the next generation Midnight Express with Bobby Eaton. Blind tag by the heels leads to Ricky Morton in peril. Jaggers piledrives him on the floor and posts poor Ricky. Jaggers throws some great punches. They do the worst doomsday device ever when Jaggers decides not to pick Ricky up at the last minute. Weird. Dandy Dan still nails him with the clothesline Then takes Morton down and blasts him like he’s Tsyuoshi Kikuchi. Morton gets busted open and its Ricky Morton selling so its spectacular. Robert Gibson house of fire is really good. Gibson is totally underrated as a worker. RnR’s pick up the win with the double dropkick. This was really fun. I mean its probably the 80th best RnR Express match on tape. This is very much their formula match. But their formula worked for a reason. Good match.

• 1 month later...
Total RnR formula match, but I love RnR formula and this was a really nifty iteration of it. All of the early shine was good and we got to see Dan Kroffat bump and stooge in ways we never did in All Japan. He still has the cool offence too, like a big giant swing and a weird Doomsday Device thing that was basically just a lariat off the second turnbuckle. Jaggers has some nice bumps off of back body drops and it felt like we got a better handle of how good he was in this than the Youngbloods strap match. He runs distractions and knows how to work a crowd, cuts off Morton, stooges and was generally pretty fun. Morton juicing gave his heat segment a little extra bite as well, because you had Jaggers and Kroffat punching him in the cut and ramming him into the post. I liked this a bunch, but then you could stick pretty much any two wrestlers in there with Morton and Gibson and I'd likely enjoy it.

• 1 year later...