Pro Wrestling Only

Ron & Chicky Starr vs. Mark & Chris Youngblood (6/1/88)

El Boricua

• 3 weeks later...

I love this building they tape TV in. There are a bunch of kids in their baseball uniforms in the crowd, which is cool. This is your standard southern tag with the babyfaces opening up hot making the Starr’s look bad, then they cut off the babyface (somehow, the transition happens during the commercial) and beat him down building to a hot tag and work to the finish. Nothing earth shattering but the finishing run is awesome and I love the angle at the end with the Starr’s throwing a phenomenal tantrum in the ring. Probably the most memorable of these really fun tv tag matches because of the post match antics by the Starrs. I dug this because I’m a sucker for southern style tag wrestling.

• 1 year later...

The pantomiming in the ring post-match by both the babyfaces and heels was great. Fun southern tag for sure and my favorite bit was Ron Starr's little dance when he realizes he's about to hit Chicky Starr upon entering the ring and he does a quick turnaround to the apron. For a guy who is so good at doing the gritty, hard-nosed brawling, Ron can stooge with the best of em.

• 2 years later...

This was really good too! Unfortunately we miss the transition into the heat segment, but everything else was on the money and made for a rock solid tag. I still don't know for sure the difference between Mark and Chris which I suppose means I'll never qualify for wrestling historian status, but their early control stuff was good. They do a switcheroo or two when Ron and Chicky try to interfere, they're always mindful of whichever heel is on the apron - which is important because Ron especially will try and come in for a cheapshot often - and their armdrags looked fairly graceful. When we come back from the commercial break the Starrs have taken control and the heat segment was pretty strong in its own right. The finish also rules. One of the Youngbloods has Chicky covered in the middle of the ring, but as the referee is sending his partner back to the apron he misses Ron climbing up top. At that point you're thinking a kneedrop to the back of the head is on the way and Chicky is going to steal one, except Mark - I think it was Mark - moves at the last second and Chicky takes the kneedrop instead. Ron gets knocked to the outside and it looks like the Youngbloods have dodged the bullet, but Ron hangs around waiting on the floor and when Mark - or could it be Chris? - goes for a slam on Chicky, Ron trips him and grabs the foot so the Starrs can steal one.