Pro Wrestling Only

Ron Starr vs. Carlos Colon (8/20/88)

El Boricua

• 3 weeks later...

I love that a week after having that cage match these two are wrestling in not a cage match. This is for Ron Starr’s TV Title. Carlos charges at the bell but Starr is able to cut him off briefly for a slugfest but Colon eventually gets the better of it and Starr has to bail out to foul territory to compose himself. Back in the ring and Colon maintains control with a side headlock. Starr tries to escape including a nice Jumbo style back suplex, but Colon keeps going back to the headlock. It isn’t exactly Flair/Steamboat working out of a side headlock, but they do a good job keeping things interesting and doing quite a bit out of the headlock and always going back to it. I really dig this more “technical” side of Colon. We haven’t really seen him work anything like this since the Flair match from disc 1. Ron Starr breaks up the headlocks and starts doing almost eye based offense with pokes, rakes, and rakes across the rope. At one point after an eye rake Colon held his hands to his face and Starr kicked Colon’s hands forcing them into his eyes presumably. All of Starr’s forearms and knees look really brutal. He would have been a great Regal or Finlay opponent provided time machine. I’d think about WCW-WWE era Finlay as a decent comparison to Starr in some ways. They brawl outside a little bit on the ball field but it isn’t too insane. Starr misses a knee drop and Colon goes after his leg on the outside which is cool. Starr’s great selling in this. Chicky runs in too interfere but the ref doesn’t call for a dq presumably because Colon moved every time Chicky went to hit him and Chicky ended up hitting Ron every time (this was terrific by the way with the crowd going crazy). Colon goes right back to Ron’s leg now that he has disposed of Chicky finally getting Ron in the figure 4. This was terrific. Colon refuses to break the figure 4 at the bell for reasons that I’m sure are noble. It was a lot of fun to see Colon work a match like this after the endless barrage of gore surrounding him on this set. Dude could work and this was a really fun title match. Ron Starr continues to really impress me. He’s been really terrific in a variety of roles on this set. Bad ass heel, shit eating heel, singles, tags, crazy brawls, traditional southern tags, title match style shit like this. He’s a really well rounded worker. He’s yet another guy I would’ve had to think long and hard about if this came out before GWE.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am a good friend of Ron Starr's and the co-write of his just-released autobiography "Bad to the Bone: 25 Years of Riots and Wrestling."

Is this match on dvd? I'd like to get my hands on any of Ron's recorded matches that I don't already have. Thanks.

Send a PM to goodhelmet.

• 11 months later...

I loved Starr using his arm to stop Colon from punching him in the headlock. Repeatedly. Then Colon puts the arm between his legs and I don't know what Starr did but it made Colon think twice about that. Nice detail work there. I also liked how Starr countered all of Colon's technical wrestling to cut off his offense (once he got going) with brawling. Good way to show that he's outclassed there and has to go to the strikes to even the playing field. I enjoy how these guys will actually bump on the baseball field. That can't possibly be as easy on you as bumping on the mat.