Pro Wrestling Only

Huracan Castillo Jr. & Miguel Perez Jr. vs. Bart & Brad Batten (July 1989)

El Boricua

• 4 weeks later...

Fantastic start with all 4 men brawling around ringside with the crowd going batshit insane. Batten’s must be heels now because they are just getting destroyed to the delight of the crowd. This slows down as the faces get back in the ring and the Battens continue to wander around outside selling. Finally the faces go back outside and continue beating the shit out of the Battens. God this opening brawling section is awesome. The Battens have been fun as babyfaces but this is a blast with them bumping around and begging off. This finally settles down back in the ring a little but the Battens are still getting their butts kicked. The faces are yet another underrated team. All of their matches on this set have been really fun at worst and great at best. Hilarious spot when we come back from commercial with both Battens outside the ring selling and both are clutching El Profe’s feet and he slowly does the tree falling spot because the Battens are attached to his legs. Hilarious shit. I need more El Profe in my life. Profe casually trips Miguel Perez Jr hitting the ropes to give the Battens the momentum finally. The Battens hit a jumping back elbow and then slow the match down with chinlocks, choking, double teams behind the refs back. They’re smart about not being too flashy and focus more on doing evil heel stuff like distracting the ref so the illegal Batten can continue the beatdown on Miguel Perez outside of the ring. Batten 1 hitting Batten 2 with an axehandle off the top rope leads to the hot tag. Castillo hits an awesome jumping knee which is I move I will seemingly always mark out for. Work to the finish is hot with all sorts of Profe shenanigans. This was a fucking blast. I know someone people might look at these tag matches and complain about the faces dominating most of the match with heel teams often getting a relatively small portion of the match to work face in peril segments. But the matches have all been typically good to very good with some great ones sprinkled in and insanely hot crowds bringing everything up a level. So I don’t really mind at all that the Battens didn’t work over Miguel Perez for 10 minutes of this match. I still thought it was a blast.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

A longer heat would have meant less battens bumping around and stalling for the shine. And I'd say that is easily the thing they are best at. Great opening with the Battens looking far, far better than they did as babyfaces. They put so much energy into getting their asses kicked. Profe's trip of Perez is a manager spot that needed to show up everywhere. Nope, just leaning my elbow on the apron, nothing going on here. Finish is a bit wonky, but seeing Profe get chased around the ring does add something. Not as much as a real finish, but the work after the hot tag was still pretty good. Heel Battens are the best Battens.