Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV Oct 10-16

goc

I didn't buy into the excuses at-the-time and I don't buy into them now. I am not sure why people feel the need to gloss over the WMXX match? Goldberg/Lesnar both came out and stood around for minutes, locked up twice, stood face-to-face and then knocked each other down with shoulder tackles. This match was about 14 minutes long and at least 5 of that was spent with this non-sense. This wasn't Hogan/Andre or Hogan/Warrior, this was a match, that at the time, many people didn't want to see. People wanted Austin/Goldberg and not Lesnar/Goldberg and those guys had a chance to go out there and give the violent brawl people were expecting, but nope. This is probably the first example on WM where two guys had a self-conscious epic only this time no one was buying it. Take the crowd noise and pipe in some good old fashion WCW Nitro piped in crowd noise and you will still be left with a shitty match.

People always rag on lucha matches falling apart due to the wrestlers involved not knowing how to adapt to changing circumstances and yet some how this match is always excused from that criticism. If the fans aren't buying it--change it. Standing in the ring winking and smiling at each other before going nose-to-nose was not doing anyone in that ring any favors.

The fans were already predisposed to shit on that match because they knew both guys were leaving. And they were especially hostile to Lesnar because how dare he decide he didn't want to spend 300 days a year on the road after he got a huge push. They could have gone out and had a wild bloody brawl and it wouldn't have really changed the crowd reactions that much.

Are we really going to pretend that sometimes the crowd has decided before a match even begins that they are going to shit on one of the wrestlers or the whole match itself? In an era where Roman Reigns was in the middle of a WWE MOTY candidate and getting "You Can't Wrestle" chants?

The fans were already predisposed to shit on that match because they knew both guys were leaving. And they were especially hostile to Lesnar because how dare he decide he didn't want to spend 300 days a year on the road after he got a huge push. They could have gone out and had a wild bloody brawl and it wouldn't have really changed the crowd reactions that much.

Are we really going to pretend that sometimes the crowd has decided before a match even begins that they are going to shit on one of the wrestlers or the whole match itself? In an era where Roman Reigns was in the middle of a WWE MOTY candidate and getting "You Can't Wrestle" chants?

The fans were of course going to be vocal, but that doesn't excuse the performance at all. They could have changed directions but didn't. Over the past few years we have seen tons of WWE matches where the fans are taking a nice steaming shit on the match itself, one or more of the wrestlers involved, the company, etc. I have seen matches where all I could hear was crickets, but the bell-to-bell was still passable and enjoyable. Blaming the crowd is something the company, the wrestlers involved, and those still on WWE payroll will tout out in 2016. Its nice revisionist history to say 'its the fans fault', but to ignore the other factors and the fact that millions of people outside of MSG wanted to see the match, but in turn were given what is on tape cannot be squarely blamed on the MSG fans.

I think people are overly worried about what happens when Goldberg returns. I think he returns to a nice pop. Lesnar and him have limited, but interesting interactions heading into the SS match and then boom! As long as both men aren't trying to be cute and WWE doesn't push the most ridiculous narrative--it should be fine.

Smackdown sure felt a lot more like Raw this week. Between that, some somewhat questionable finishes on No Mercy and the news that Vince is back touring full time, I'm a little nervous. Don't like the sound of this Smackdown vs. Raw Survivor Series gimmick either. Not only is it a distraction that will do little to further existing brand-specific storylines, but could even actively detract from them.

I think people are overly worried about what happens when Goldberg returns. I think he returns to a nice pop. Lesnar and him have limited, but interesting interactions heading into the SS match and then boom! As long as both men aren't trying to be cute and WWE doesn't push the most ridiculous narrative--it should be fine.

The real question, to me, is who WWE are going to have win. There's a good chance we just don't get a decisive winner so that we get a rematch, right? I mean, paying Goldberg a ton of money to come in and lose to Brock, whom doesn't need the rub, would be silly. Paying Goldberg a ton of money to come in to beat their unbeatable guy would be silly. I just don't see how this is a winning scenario no matter what they do. It's not like they'll have a third guy show up to take them both out.

Will Goldberg stick around through Wrestlemania?

Geez all wrestling matches are not about someone getting or giving "the rub." They are bringing back Goldberg to try and boost their ratings and get Network subs. They put him against Lesnar because they clearly have no clear plan for Lesnar involving anyone on the actual roster and haven't for a long time.

My guess is the finish to Goldberg-Lesnar II will be some sort of nonsense to further build to the Shane-Brock match in Orlando.

WWE doesn't have to deliver clean finishes anymore in the post-PPV era and the Shane stuff at SummerSlam leads me to think they are hoping that people will be interested to see what sort of crazy bump Shane will take at WrestleMania XXXIII.