Pro Wrestling Only

[1984-09-12-AJPW] Ric Flair vs Genichiro Tenryu

JKWebb

The first fall of the match, unfortunately, just doesn't deliver. It sort of has a bland running through the motions with no emotion feel to it. I'd say overall, the match is disappointing. The finish is pretty cool, because Flair starts to go a little nuts wanting to demolish Tenryu's leg, but it's not enough to save the otherwise flat match.

• 3 months later...

It was a bit flat, but I thought there were some nice chop exchanges.

NWA World Heavyweight Champion Ric Flair vs Genichiro Tenryu - AJPW 9/22/84

Flair always looks pissed coming to the ring in Japan. I think it is because they always try to grab his bleached hair. I hate that too as someone with long hair that people are always grabbing to see if it is real. It is real, damnit! Typical NWA style opening with Tenryu grinding it out. Flair seems to want to turn this into a standup game and that's where this match is at its best. Tenryu sumo slapping Flair back. Flair punching Tenryu right in the nose with short rights. Flair actually busted quite a bit of offense in a short time usually takes him a while to get going. I don't know if the stand up game was his best route as Tenryu really started to light him up. Tenryu sleeper. Yeah it is is kinda lame that Tenryu is not getting much as a unique opponent. Also, does not feel as hot as Flair/Garvin or Flair/Wahoo where the match is centered around stand up. Lacks transitions. Finish was hot with Tenryu hitting two enziguiris in succession and then a piledriver (Flair did not want to go up for the powerbomb?) to win the first fall. Very good classic NWA championship first fall not the best. Tenryu 1-0.

Flair just cant get anything going. I loved the struggle over the gutwrench suplex. Tenryu has to do an ab stretch (Gorilla would have loved this one) to unlock it. Flair is getting moves but is constantly countered. Tenryu is pouring it on the down stretch with bombs. Flair gets a kneecrucher, but then eats an enziguiri. He gets a back suplex and GREAT struggle over Figure-4 and struggle within figure-4 as Flair takes second fall. Transition really lacking but struggle over moves is really good here. One of the best figure-4 sequences ever. Tied 1-1.

Third fall is a clusterfuck. Leads to one of the funniest moments in wrestling. I have not laughed this hard in a while. Flair calls for the backslide twice and Tenryu fucks up both times. Flair is pissed. Im laughing. Flair loves bumping for the enziguiri. Flair says fuck it and just goes to town drawing the DQ. Needed a chair or something more violent. Ref just calling for the DQ for excessive stomping in the ropes is lame. Fans of Tenryu should want to string that ref up. Flair loses match but retains title.

I heard the '92 match is awesome. Something I really need to see. This was flat at times, lacked transitions and was just a clusterfuck towards the end. Enough stuff to call it good, not much more than that. ***

• GSR changed the title to [1984-09-12-AJPW] Ric Flair vs Genichiro Tenryu