Pro Wrestling Only

Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre

Grimmas

Dear Dave,

I hope you received the VHS! I am getting quite good of packing things in discrete brown boxes and shipping them out for my job, so you should had got it.

This was a very exciting week CMLL Television, as they promised to show highlights of every match that took place at Arena Mexico. I'm starting to make business trips to Mexico more frequently, so I plan to try to get to Arena Mexico some Friday night to see this stuff in person. If the TV was any indication, CMLL is magically on Friday nights!

After a run down of the card, we get a video of Los Guerreros del Universo (Black Terry, Negro Casas, Blue Panther, Babe Face, & Los Villanos) at a party. That clown from last week is in attendance making balloon animals, giving them to kids and then popping them. A cake with UWA written on top is there and Los Guerreros are celebrating that they will take all the titles in CMLL, because CMLL is inferior to UWA. After the titles, they will take everybodies hair and masks and disgrace the company. Proving UWA is superior. The camera panned over to a giant roasting pig with a CMLL sign hung around it's neck. Very ominous.

The matches then started, but sadly most were clips. The clips were amazing though. Gran Cochisse won a title in the opener. Looked like a fun little match, but we didn't get much.

The second match was shown in full between El Solar and Black Terry and these seemed like a classic between a great technician and a great brawler. These are two great vets and the drama was huge. Negro Casas, who was Terry's second, distracted the referee so Terry could kick Solar in the balls to win the title. It seemed like the referee was easily distracted and didn't seem to care about Casas' cheating.

Cien Caras and Babe Face was cut to under a minute. Negro Casas interfered again with a cheap shot leading to Babe Face winning the title. This time the referee was clearly allowing Casas to interfere. Dave, who is this shitty ref??

Los Villanos defended their recently won Trios Titles against El Hijo Del Santo, Vulcano, and Tony Acre. From what we say this was a high impact high flying contest. Villanos won, with little cheating.

The main event was one of the better matches I've seen since starting to watch CMLL. Blue Panther and Atlantis are technical marvels. The first two falls were mostly on the mat and I was transfixed. They traded the first two falls. The final fall saw Atlantis hit a dive over the top and he seemed to have the win, but all of Los Guerreros del Universo came to ringside and they blooded Atlantis up leaving him as easy prey. Blue Panther wins the final title.

What a great show, amazing wrestling and this UWA group is HATED in Mexico. I can't wait till Gran Cochisse (the only one who seems to been able to stand up to them) gets some people on his side.

The tape will be in the mail.

Stan Grimmas

Hey Stan,

Thanks again for the tape. It did come as you promised, but there was some white powder on it I had to blow off before watching. You might want to clean them before sending them.

To answer your question, there are rudo refs in Mexico who favour the rudos.

So many title changes seems to go against Mexico's usually format. I guess the new leadership is really changing things up. These super group of UWA guys is one of the strongest angles I've seen in wrestling. An invasion angle, I wonder why no other promotion has tried that before?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enojoy your letters and Gordi's behind the scene stuff even more then many of the wrestling events. Keep up the good work.

Thank you! It's a fun way to do it, plus gives me excuses when I don't want to write much or I fall behind.

Yoo! Dub! Ay!

Yoo! Dub! Ay!

Yoo! Dub! Ay! (It's my attempt at an ECW-type "chant for the promotion" thing).

UWALogo.jpg

They certainly have all the momentum.

The letters are a cool way of telling the story of the shows...

Thank you, I thought it would be the only way to educate people about lucha is to have it been seen through the eyes of a newbie watcher! Glad you enjoy!

Also: Mysterious white powder, trips to Mexico, and discreet packaging??? What is Stan Grimmas' job? I' guessing the white powder is calcium hydroxide ("cal") and he makes and sells authentic flour tortillas!

Stan is letting things slip about his job, although he was not proud of it at first. I think the money is changing his tune.

I enojoy your letters and Gordi's behind the scene stuff even more then many of the wrestling events. Keep up the good work.

On March 29th there will be a eight team tag team tournament, with the winners getting to tour Japan for three months! In a twist from Mexican tradition, and to prepare the teams for Japan, these matches will all be one fall affairs!

The eight teams will be announced within the next few days.

Super Viernes
March 29, 1985
Arena Mexico
Mexico City, Mexico
Featuring the Torneo de Japan, where the winning team gets to tour Japan for three months representing CMLL! This tournament will all consist of one fall contests.
Tecnicos Teams:
Mocha Cota y La Fiera
Tony Acre y Vulcano
El Solar y Super Astro
Los Brazos (Brazo de Oro y Brazo de Plata)
Rudos Teams:
Los Guerreros del Universo (Black Terry y Babe Face)
El Dandy y Fuerza Guerrera
Jose Lothario y Miguel Perez Jr.
El Texano y El Signo

Cmll.png

"Torneo de Japan"

March 29, 1985

Arena Mexico

Mexico City, Mexico

First Round:

Brazo de Oro y Brazo de Plata

vs

El Texano y El Signo

Brazo de Plata pinned El Signo

Winner: Tecnicos

First Round:

El Solar y Super Astro

vs

El Dandy pinned Super Astro

Winner: Rudos

First Round:

Mocha Cota y La Fiera

vs

Jose Lohtario y Miguel Perez Jr.

Mocha Cota made Miguel Perez Jr. submit.

First Round:

Tony Acre y Vulcano

vs

Black Terry y Babe Face

Black Terry pinned Tony Acre

Semi-Final:

vs

Brazo de Oro pinned Fuerza Guerrera

Semi-Final:

Mocha Cota y La Fiera

vs

Black Terry y Babe Face

Babe Face pinned La Fiera

Final:

vs

Black Terry y Babe Face

Black Terry pinned Brazo de Oro

Winners: Rudos

Note: Los Guerreros del Universo win the tournament and will head to Japan for three months to represent Mexico.

Sorry guys Stan Grimmas had a rough weekend and missed CMLL TV this week, so no letters to Dave. Next time he sees the show, an update will come.

As for CMLL news,

Paco Alonso took to a radio station to discuss CMLL and was not happy with UWA being the representatives in Japan for the next three months. Alonso purchased UWA and it no longer exists, but somehow this Los Guerreros del Universo group is carrying it's flag. Not only in Mexico, but now in Japan too?

The remaining members (Blue Panther, Negro Casas, and Los Villanos) will be in CMLL and Alonso expects them to represent the company they actually work for, not a dead company.

In other news he has booked a match between Los Guerreros del Universo and the team of Los Brazos, Gran Cochisse, and Atlantis for the next Super Viernes on April 5th.

Cmll.png

"Super Viernes"

April 5, 1985

Arena Mexico

Mexico City, Mexico

Primera Lucha

Tony Acre y Vulcano

vs

Jose Lothario y Miguel Perez, Jr.

Primera Caida:

Lothario pinned Vulcano

Perez pinned Acre

Segunda Caida:

Acre pinned Lothario

Vulcano made Perez submit

Tercera Caida:

Acre pinned Perez

Vulcano pinned Lothario

Winner: Tecnicos (2/3)

Segunda Lucha

El Solar, Super Astro, y Ultraman

vs

Los Missioneros de la Muerte

(Negro Navarro, El Texano, y El Signo)

Primera Caida:

Navarro made Solar submit.

Segunda Caida:

Solar pinned Texano

Astro pinned Signo

Tercera Caida:

Texano pinned Ultraman

Navarro pinned Solar

Winner: Rudos (1/3)

Tercera Lucha

El Hijo del Santo, Cien Caras, y Alfonso Dantes

vs

Fuerza Guerrera, El Dandy, y Emilio Charles Jr.

Primera Caida:

Santo made Guerrera submit

Segunda Caida:

Guerrera fouled Santo

Winner: Tecnicos (1/2)

Lucha Semifinal

Sangre Chicano, El Canek, y La Fiera

vs

Los Infernales

(El Satanico, MS-1, y Pirata Morgan)

Primera Caida:

Morgan fouled Chicano

Segunda Caida:

Morgan pinned Chicano

Tercera Caida:

El Canek pinned MS-1

Chicano pinned Morgan

Winner: Tecnicos (1/3)

Lucha Estelar

Gran Cochisse, Atlantis, El Brazo, Brazo de Plata, y Brazo de Oro

vs

Los Guerreros del Universo

(Blue Panther, Negro Casas, Villano III, Villano IV, y Villano V)

Primera Caida:

Blue Panther made Brazo de Oro submit

Segunda Caida:

Gran Cochisse made Negro Casas submit

Tercera Caida:

Atlantis pinned Villano III

Winner: Tecnicos (2/3)

Note: Negro Casas was injured in the bout, after Cochisse's leg submission in the segunda caida.