Pro Wrestling Only

[2000-02-04-NJPW] Genichiro Tenryu & Shiro Koshinaka vs Kensuke Sasaki & Kenzo Suzuki

soup23

Kenzo Suzuki…. Lol. Someone I haven’t thought about in ten plus years but here he is in a trial series matchup with Sasaki vs. Tenryu and Koshinaka. Sasaki starts out with some good fire and taking the fight to Tenryu. Suzuki even shows some good glimpses here and he is the main whipping boy for Tenryu as he gets his throat chopped repeatedly. Suzuki is able to gather his bearings and tag in Sasaki. Sasaki again comes in fired up and I know a lot has to be the pairing against Tenryu but Ive enjoyed him more so far in 2000 than any year in the 90’s. Suzuki spears Tenryu and the crowd goes nuts. Koshinaka just says fuck this tag structure and comes in with a flying butt butt off the top. Tenryu gives his stiff lariat, pins Suzuki, then does his prickish hand gesture to dismiss the up can comers. Watching this, I can see how you would be high on Suzuki. Really fun match here. ***1/2

This was ridiculous fun while it lasted. Tenryu is as casual while demolishing people as Vincent and Jules standing outside someone's door discussing pop culture before performing a hit. He's chopping guys and throwing chairs like it's just another day at the office. Sasaki looks really great here and I marked out for him refusing to sell or take a bump for Shiro Koshinaka's ass. Finally, someone does what needs to be done. Kenzo Suzuki looks nervous as hell and looks like he almost kills Tenryu on that overhead throw. Tenryu sort of sighs, as if to say, "Do we have to do this?" and just gets up and starts chopping the young fellow. I liked how both Tenryu and Koshinaka found ways to put over Sasaki at every turn, even while Suzuki dropped the fall. Really good stuff. ***1/2

• 4 weeks later...

God there are some meaty lariats and chops in this match courtesy of Tenryu and Sasaki. I loved the snap on Sasaki's rope run bulldog out of the corner. Those Tenryu chops to the throat area of Suzuki were brutal looking. This is paced perfectly and each new turn seems to yield a satisfying strike exchange. Only really didn't care for some of endless chop battles at the beginning of the match. I thought Tenryu and Sasaki were really good here and yeah it's a really solid ten minute wrestling experience.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [2000-02-04-NJPW] Genichiro Tenryu & Shiro Koshinaka vs Kensuke Sasaki & Kenzo Suzuki